PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic steering . Which one?

rayken1938
27-08-2008, 09:12 PM
I need hydraulic steering for my tinney fitted with 50hp bigfoot. Had a yarn to a few people at the boat show and they seem equally divided between baystar and hydrive.
I have plenty of room for a side mount and they are much cheaper.
Bias will do a baystar for $550 but wont come down on the Hydrive and they recommend the hydrive. Said the baystar are sh!t.
Does anyone have good/bad experiences with either? or know anyone with a second hand unit?
Cheers
Ray

death_ship
27-08-2008, 09:23 PM
had hydrive, better quality, no probs

fin101
27-08-2008, 09:29 PM
I have had seastar on two of my boats and never had a drama, not bad units.

Moonlighter
27-08-2008, 10:29 PM
I've got the Hydrive side mount unit same as you're considering. Fitted it myself (its a 2 - 3 person job to bleed it once fitted) otherwise strightforward to it up. Been very reliable for 5 years now.

If you get it feel free to PM me for a couple of fitting tips that will make it an easier job.

Regards

Grant

PADDLES
28-08-2008, 08:39 AM
i've had both seastar bullhorn and currently a hydrive sidemount, they're both fine. the one thing to worry about with the sidemount though is someone stepping on it, there's probably less chance in a tinny of someone standing on a bullhorn type. like grant has said though the sidemount is the right price and still does the job beautifully. bleeding them is fun though, i bled ours with just me and wifey and it was like we were jugglers at the circus. hydrive is aussie made and cheaper if that helps the decision.

banshee
28-08-2008, 01:29 PM
I've had a Hydrive front mount with high volume pump (less turns lock to lock) for seven years without a hicup.Something to check that may or may not bother you,when I bought mine the side mounts were not a ballanced unit (not an equal number of turns lock to lock from center) but this may have changed or as I said it may not worry you.

PADDLES
28-08-2008, 06:43 PM
you're right banshee, they're not balanced. i don't even notice it when i'm using it, the steering wheel position keeps changing though

Ketchitdave
28-08-2008, 09:41 PM
I have Cruisecraft Rambler, with self fitted Hydrive hydraulic steering.

I have no hesitation in recommending Hydrive......in my opion it is the best.

Ketchitdave:D

nickstock
29-08-2008, 06:19 AM
Interesting posts,

What sort of dollars is it roughly to convert a 06 mod, 70 yam tiller to center console with hyd steering?

I already have the console set up?

Cheers

rayken1938
29-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Best prices so far is
Baystar Sidemount from bias $565 Boat show special.
Hydrive side mount $699 they wont come down on catalogue price.
Baystar frontmount from the states $654 landed in Australia. Price could possibly be reduced by asling seller to delete the 2 litres of hydraulic fluid as parcel weighs 24lb and the postage is $114 us.
Be interested if anyone can beat.
Cheers
Ray

PADDLES
29-08-2008, 08:14 AM
nick, just have a look through the bias or whitworths websites for the pricing and you should get a bit off that when the time comes to buy.

rayken1938
29-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Nickstock do you mean that you already have the hydraulic helm? The following prices are all for full kits.
I have a couple of dealer quotes for around $1000 for a Baystar sidemount fully installed.

Best prices so far is
Baystar Sidemount from bias $565 Boat show special.
Hydrive side mount $699 they wont come down on catalogue price.
Baystar frontmount from the states $654 landed in Australia. Price could possibly be reduced by asking seller to delete the 2 litres of hydraulic fluid as parcel weighs 24lb and the postage is $114 us.
Be interested if anyone can beat.
Cheers
Ray

rayken1938
29-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Just ordered a baystar side mount. Best price was thru leisure Marine. I have to wait till I come back from hols in 3 weeks to pick it up. Thanks everyone for responses.
Cheers
Ray

death_ship
29-08-2008, 07:27 PM
have seen the baystar stuff in their catalogue, trade price around $450