PDA

View Full Version : V loader trailer setup

black runner
27-08-2008, 08:53 PM
My question relates to skid set up in v loader type trailers. Given that the rear most keel roller doesn't directly sit under or support the transom, wouldn't the skids need to take more weight than they otherwise would in a traditional non v-loader set up.

All the threads I have searched here recommend that the skids should only just touch the hull to prevent rocking. In the case of a v loader/easy loader this setup would mean that the transom with motor is largely unsupported. For this reason I have my skids hard up on the hull and hull/transom join. I this ok? I can still get the boat on and off easily. The boat is a Stacer 460 with a maxi transom. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Cheers

gofishin
28-08-2008, 12:49 PM
If your trailer is similar to a Dunbier Easyloader, try this thread.

If it is similar, the 'loader' roller and the skids should be touching the boat. Adjust the stop bolts at the loader hinges and skid supports etc.

If not, some pics will help.
cheers

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=116444&highlight=dunbier+easy+loader

black runner
28-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks gofishin, I had read that thread and your setup instructions.

My trailer isn't a dunbier but has a cut away V ish section with a conventional roller set up forward of that.

The chines are as low to the guards as possible - about 15mm above.

I suppose I am after confirmation or otherwise that in this situation the skids should be carrying some weight not just preventing sideways movement given the rear keel roller is about 550mm away from the transom. Or is this amount of unsupported overhang considered ok with the skids only just touching?.

Cheers

gofishin
28-08-2008, 08:54 PM
BR, I see that your trailer has a fixed V-loader system. With a little effort you want to be able to rock your boat off the skids (grab the gunel or chine etc & rock), however the boat should be touching the skids, both sides, as evenly as possible along the skids.

The keel rollers need to have even weight on them, get under the trailer & try & twist them. Adjust as necessary.

Do yourself a big favour and get rid of the rope & buyself 2 ratchet tiedowns or similar, one for each side is better than one going right round.

Don't worry about the overhang, but it's a real good idea to support your motor. A week or two ago there was a post on a trailer bracket for a 175 suzy (I think), check out the pic showing a couple of PE rollers slid over the trim rams - great idea (I think it was Gary). For your boat/motor, one roller would do.
cheers

black runner
28-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the setup info GF, good positive feedback. That's a bit of 4mm cord attached to the boat cover in the pic ( the pic makes it look more like a bit of rope). I took the ratchet tie downs off to get a better pic.

Does the skid to planing strake offset (as in your dunbier thread) also apply to this fixed setup?

Cheers