PDA

View Full Version : bolted outboard - easy to get off....? for electric dams

yellahunter
27-08-2008, 06:21 PM
hey guys,

I spoke to the marine shop today and my boats ready to go,

the guy said that the outboard has been bolted on to avoid theft,
I didnt think anything of this at the time,

however one of the main reasons im getting the boat is to fish in the hinze dam which is electric only.

Now the fact that i have to take the motor off for hinze.
is that going to be an issue now that its bolted on..?
once bolted are they easy to take off..? and if taken off is it going to leak...?

any info appreciated.

my last boat was just screwed on so not sure on the bolts..

cheers,

Ben

chop69
27-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Ben,
if she's bolted on thru transom, there are going to be bolt holes once you take engine off. what size boat & motor?

kev.

yellahunter
27-08-2008, 06:39 PM
its a 25horse mariner on a 385 explorer....what do you think..

bushbeachboy
27-08-2008, 07:05 PM
How many bolts mate? ie are there two bolts through the transom up high or are there two down lower, or 4 bolts etc?

yellahunter
27-08-2008, 07:07 PM
havent seen it yet,
but if i get there tomorrow to pick her up and its bolted i will say no if it impacts where i can and cant fish.

one of my main things is bass fishing at hinze so holes in the boat wont do

anyone have any idea how they would be bolting a 25 to a 3.85 explorer...?

tunaticer
27-08-2008, 07:50 PM
It's only two bolts through the transom on your 385. The holes will be well above water level so you will not have any dramas with water coming in once you remove the donk and put on your lecky.

I do it everytime I take my boat onto NPD and its no hassles.....two bolts. Get yourself a little battery operated 1/4" drive rattle gun to make the whole thing even less of an effort.

Jack.

mossyback08
27-08-2008, 08:13 PM
do you have to take the motor off for fishing in electric only dams? you dont have to at lake mcdonald

Spaniard_King
27-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Ben at worst all you need to do is get a couple of tappered rubber bungs to temporarily plug the holes whilst you are in the hinze :)

Luc
27-08-2008, 08:31 PM
On some dams you do (Hinze) & on some you don't (McDonald, Wivenhoe).

Best to confirm the status before you leave home.

Luc

yellahunter
27-08-2008, 08:43 PM
thanks for the info guys,

so its no disadvantage to have the holes...?

Spaniard_King
27-08-2008, 08:45 PM
I recon its an advantage to have them.. especially when you have the 25 on the boat

yellahunter
27-08-2008, 10:14 PM
anymore tips here guys.....?

rayken1938
28-08-2008, 07:07 AM
It is a bit of a pain to have to undo two extra bolts but you really need to have a 25hp bolted to the transom or else the motor is likely to move during sharp at speed turns as the torque of the motor twists it sideways on the transom and the last thing you need is for it to fall off.
If you find the motor a bit heavy and awkward to remove Supercheap sell a folding hydraulic engine hoist for $199 which makes the job a lot easier especially if you are doing it by yourself.
Use a couple of rubber bungs to seal the transom where you remove the bolts or else just replace the bolts back into the holes. You may have to use spacers if there isn't enough thread length on the bolts.
Cheers
Ray