PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Boat Show

Mindi
27-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Went to the show today. All pretty normal I guess, lots of fibreglass with price tags I believe belong on houses, a quite a few tinnies. Two interesting things were the new Suzuki 70/80/90s, smaller, lighter, delivery October...and BRP offering 6 year "free" servicing on E-TECS meaning they will pay for the first service at 3 yrs/300 hours. Not sure whether it was matched by 6 yr warranty or not..? cant recall...the BRP guy did say the offer was for the duration of the show but cant see that being the case..?

Chimo
27-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Am going for look on Fri while the boss goes to Picasso.

Is there an AF hangout?

Chimo

PinHead
27-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Went to the show today. All pretty normal I guess, lots of fibreglass with price tags I believe belong on houses, a quite a few tinnies. Two interesting things were the new Suzuki 70/80/90s, smaller, lighter, delivery October...and BRP offering 6 year "free" servicing on E-TECS meaning they will pay for the first service at 3 yrs/300 hours. Not sure whether it was matched by 6 yr warranty or not..? cant recall...the BRP guy did say the offer was for the duration of the show but cant see that being the case..?

owning a boat is more fun than a house

Chimo
27-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Different sort of fun Pinhead:P

Chimo

Shagga
27-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Never hurts to have a look.

mookyandlumpy
27-08-2008, 06:57 PM
is there many products for your boat there ????
or just new boats

fleety77
27-08-2008, 06:59 PM
much fishing gear there?? going fri ( for work....:P )

Mindi
27-08-2008, 07:39 PM
much fishing gear there?? going fri ( for work....:P )

not much that i saw

fleety77
27-08-2008, 07:39 PM
cheers........

Spaniard_King
27-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Guys, Make sure you have a look at the new Haines 760 Patriot on the logan River Stand. It's John Goodings new charter boat..one of the first few out of the mold. I just managed to get the engines bolted on before they took it to the show :)

JDOld07
27-08-2008, 08:10 PM
I was a little disappointed with the show when I went today. Didn't seem as much as previous years or other shows. Not that much gear, either fishing or boating bits.

Maybe it could be too, just not what I was looking for. I was really wanting to compare some custom plate boats and sit down with a builder. I'm ready to get something organised and of my short list, only AMM was there.

Having said that, I did get a decent (IMO) deal on a new Furuno 585 + 1KW. Furuno themselves where their and threw me more free promo gear than I could carry.

I bought a 2 day pass too, initially thinking I'd go back again with a mate who wanted to go over the weekend. Don't know if I'm really that keen to return now.

Bill_Corten
27-08-2008, 10:09 PM
AF members are most welcome to meet at the Fishing Expo. There is a big program of speakers daily covering most fishing interests.

Cheers
Bill

tin can marlin
27-08-2008, 10:46 PM
I was a little disappointed with the show when I went today. Didn't seem as much as previous years or other shows. Not that much gear, either fishing or boating bits.

Maybe it could be too, just not what I was looking for. I was really wanting to compare some custom plate boats and sit down with a builder. I'm ready to get something organised and of my short list, only AMM was there.

Having said that, I did get a decent (IMO) deal on a new Furuno 585 + 1KW. Furuno themselves where their and threw me more free promo gear than I could carry.

I bought a 2 day pass too, initially thinking I'd go back again with a mate who wanted to go over the weekend. Don't know if I'm really that keen to return now.
I must say i went in today and i noticed no custom builders. I think you will find that afew have them have gone by the wayside as the hard times the marine industry has had a major impact in all areas. Haveing said that i had a good look at the sea storms and they looked the business maybe go back and have a look at them they were oppistate the kratzmanns stand around 70m down from amm. Good luck with it all. Regards Mark

PinHead
28-08-2008, 04:19 AM

Most of the custom plate builders do not attend these shows. The good ones have plenty of orders and have no need to attend..plus the cost of a stand at the show is not cheap. A quick look at the websire beforehand would have the shown the exhibitors list.

Ocean_Spirit
28-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Heading in today some time to have a quick glance at the new Seafarer's from Signature and new little 25/30 E-TEC's for the dingy.

cbruh1
28-08-2008, 12:05 PM
I went for a look around yesterday with dad, It was a great day to go, hardly any people there it was great could move around have a good look at the boats when you want to. I had my eye on the Boston Whaler Conquest 345 with the Triple outboards on the back. Will have to start selling a kidney, lung, left arm right leg and sell my hair to a wig maker.

But I also spotted a Stesco 485 Albacore there that was abit more in my reality.

Not much fishing gear, one stand by memory, selling all crappy left over stock. There is also a rock climbing wall, Would have made more sense to have a scuba diving tank with sharks and crocodiles in it.

scrubba01
28-08-2008, 01:02 PM
I think Brisbane should cut back to one Quality boat show a year now that the boom in boats has dried up, both big and small. This would allow manufacturers to concentrate on one show and bring all of the goodies. Now that sales have slowed down it costs them a lot of money to rent a site and then move all of there stock in. I think you will find a few of them missing from this show as they have done the earlier shows such as the tinny and tackle.

reddybayfisher
28-08-2008, 06:51 PM
I went today and thoroughly enjoyed walking around and having a look at the different boats, wasn't too big a crowd and got to have a good look at what I could spend my money on if I won tattslotto.......if you take out the the fishing presentations (all the ones I saw were great) and that one tackle store - it was virtually just a boat show though.....I suppose if I want tackle I should just call into BCF......
Overall, I walked away having an enjoyable day.....

charleville
28-08-2008, 07:08 PM
I went today and had a thoroughly enjoyable time because I sat through some great presentations at the fishing expo.

Dave Downie did a terrific, very full presentation on bait fishing for bream;

Jason Comino did his usual outstanding job on offshore snapper fishing; and

Bill Corten did his usual excellent, knowledgeable presentation on crossing bars.

All of these were really very well presented and very enjoyable indeed.

As for the boat show itself, it did feel a little tired and indeed, as if calibrated by the short queues and plentiful empty tables in the cafe, I have been wondering if attendances were down a bit from the norm notwithstanding that it is mid-week.

I did not see a lot of people sitting down with boat sales people. I saw my cousin there who was doing his bit, however, buying three boats for his business. :)

It must be getting harder for marine retailers though. I looked at an Icom M304 VHF radio which was a show special at Northside Marine for $339 with a $50 manufacturer's rebate bringing the price back to $289. That same radio can be landed at my doorstep from Fish-on Marine in the USA at $215 even though the Aussie dollar has plummeted by 15% in the past couple of weeks against the US dollar. Why would anyone want to really be in the marine retailing business as the world becomes more comfortable with online buying?

I also note that parking at the convention centre is not as cheap as it used to be on weekends, ie it is now $13 Monday - Sunday for the first five hours. So a day at the boat show including one adult ticket and 5 hours of parking will cost you $29. Add another $10 or so for lunch and one might start to compare that cost with the cost of a day's fishing and decide to go fishing instead. :(

Nonetheless, the fishing expo presentations were excellent. "Well done!" to the presenters who I saw. :)

Seahorse
28-08-2008, 07:34 PM
wont get me this year.
to much money for what u get.

TheRealAndy
28-08-2008, 08:37 PM
I am hoping marine tune will have some good deals on the yalta. They might be able to talk me into signing a contract this time!

PinHead
28-08-2008, 08:42 PM
just got home from visiting there. I enjoy it..always good to have a look at what is around...and perhaps plan ahead for the next boat. A couple of salespeople that I know there commented that their sales were comparable with last year.

QF3 MROCP
28-08-2008, 08:58 PM
It must be getting harder for marine retailers though. I looked at an Icom M304 VHF radio which was a show special at Northside Marine for $339 with a $50 manufacturer's rebate bringing the price back to $289. That same radio can be landed at my doorstep from Fish-on Marine in the USA at $215 even though the Aussie dollar has plummeted by 15% in the past couple of weeks against the US dollar. Why would anyone want to really be in the marine retailing business as the world becomes more comfortable with online buying?

.[/quote]

http://www.fishonmarine.com/product_info.php?cPath=1787466_1869172&products_id=24322289

Just watch out when purchasing from the USA as you need to make sure the unit has a USA/Int button to allow the change over of frequencies assigned to the respective channel for Australian use. The USA do not use International assigned frequencies, hence why Australian imported radios are set up when sold locally...

Peter

Scott Ashe
29-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi,

I visited the show yesterday, along with a couple of good mates, and although their were more boats their than you could poke a stick at, I was actually hoping for some bargains in the tackle department, however I felt the show was lacking this.

I spoke to a Daiwa rep, and he said that he had come all the way from Sydney, and his little stand cost him $9000 for the length of the show. From that point on I understood why their wasn't much tackle.- who can afford these prices.

I would have to say my highlight was probably having a chat with Dave Downie.

Cheers
Scott

PinHead
29-08-2008, 02:38 PM
every year someone comments about lack of tackle etc..it is called the Brisbane Boat Show...surely that is a hint as to what it is about. Tinny and Tackle show is better for that kind of gear.

sharkcat one
29-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Has any body been to the brisbane boat show yet?
looking for a new boat and came across the new commander catamarans
6 metre cat on display. excellent boat for the money , these guys where happy to alter the internal lay out at my request . Going for a test ride next weekend,
will post my results..

sharkcat one
29-08-2008, 10:46 PM
P.S. -
check out their video of the cat crossing the pin.

Hornet Rider
30-08-2008, 02:23 AM
quote=cbruh1;887613]I went for a look around yesterday with dad, It was a great day to go, hardly any people there it was great could move around have a good look at the boats when you want to. I had my eye on the Boston Whaler Conquest 345 with the Triple outboards on the back. Will have to start selling a kidney, lung, left arm right leg and sell my hair to a wig maker.

Callum, at AS$0.5M starting price for the Conquest you may have to throw in the cheese & kisses, & your 1st born.

Picked up a MT400 epirb for $385 & a SE Sport 300 hydrofoil for $100 at the Bias stand. Had to barter though.

Went with a friend who's interested in a Lifestyle X-7400 Allrounder with a single 225 Honda. Don't know much about the X-7400 & can't find too much on them on the net. They look impressive for a trailer tri-hull. Anyone know much about them?

Chimo
30-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Hi HR et al

My neighbour has one
Had a few trips in it.

Among other things make sure you order it with the shock absorber suspension seats. Contact me so I can put you in touch for more and a run and to buy it ;)

If you can wait, the new Seafarer 6.8 Voyager hull crossed with the Vagabond features will be worth a look too ie bigger cabin and wider walkways than the Vag with all the kill tanks etc etc and other features of the Voyager with a good sized cuddy yum;D

The improved back end and internals of the Commander Cat with some work by its new owners has lifted this one too:)

The 630 CruiseCraft; a smaller 7M gin palace looks interesting but has no rod holders:'( . The finish across the CC range including their stainless is very impressive too.

Pizza across the road on Melbourne St is good too;D as is the French pastry behind it ( opp the main carpark and entry to the show)

Cheers
Chimo

BrewGuru
30-08-2008, 07:39 AM
I went yesterday, the show seems to be getting smaller and smaller, nothing like its hey day at the RNA grounds and Sanctuary Cove is getting bigger and bigger.
I would hardly call it an international boat show

honda900
30-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Hey, Andy,

The 555 is down to 32999, I did notice they had taken some of the things out of the package, you might want to check out what the inclusions are and do a deal on some of them. I was talking to Mark from marine tune at the show, he said they got a good deal on the hulls. Mark was also saying the show has been slow for everyone not a lot of people through the door.

As for tackle, the cheapy no name rubbish shop was the only one selling tackle, pitty had money to burn as well, but it was just junk.

As for the rest, wasnt even much chandlery, certainly very little in the way of bargains.

Not too many people there which was good, got to have a good look around.

Regards
Honda

gofishin
30-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Just don't park in the Southbank Parklands carpark like this idiot did - $30 for 4hrs yesterday arvo/evening.

gawby
30-08-2008, 06:40 PM
I went today with the deckie and my son and had a good time there.
Had a look at some of the comparable boats to my 555hg yalta and i still
think i have a good all round boat for the price i paid.
Could go a spend a lot more money to get a flasher boat that does the same job.
My main objective was to look at the different chartplotters and i think the
navman/northstar was the best by far with the detail that is displayed with the cmap. Lowrance, raymarine didn't do it for me.
There wasn't a big crowd and made a pleasant day.
Saw a couple of mates and had a yarn.
Graeme

Black_Rat
30-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Guys, Make sure you have a look at the new Haines 760 Patriot on the logan River Stand. It's John Goodings new charter boat..one of the first few out of the mold. I just managed to get the engines bolted on before they took it to the show :)

Seen the 760 on a couple of web sites :) Drool...... ;D 1 day........
One comes to mind had a pair of 150 Hondas ;D

robersl
30-08-2008, 07:05 PM
well i came in on the stessco sf with the full floor and casting deck swivel seat had a 30 cv yammy on it wanted $6690 i upgraded it to a 40 yammie 3 cylinder tiller with hydrolic assit, battery @ navlights and charger for $8560 all i want for a creek boat or the bay in winter

shane

charleville
30-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Just don't park in the Southbank Parklands carpark like this idiot did - $30 for 4hrs yesterday arvo/evening.

Parking charges seem to have risen quite a lot around Brisbane in the past year or so. I have got back into the habit of taking the bus to these events unless they are at the Ekka grounds where parking is still pretty reasonable.

QF3 MROCP
30-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Next time you go into that area for parking, check out the Qld Govt car parks in the Museum, Library or GOMA. On Saturdays and Sunday and after 9am weekdays, parking is $12. I used the Museum one today for the boat show - in at 08:30 and out at 18:15, all for a prepaid of $12.00

TheRealAndy
31-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Hey, Andy,

The 555 is down to 32999, I did notice they had taken some of the things out of the package, you might want to check out what the inclusions are and do a deal on some of them. I was talking to Mark from marine tune at the show, he said they got a good deal on the hulls. Mark was also saying the show has been slow for everyone not a lot of people through the door.

As for tackle, the cheapy no name rubbish shop was the only one selling tackle, pitty had money to burn as well, but it was just junk.

As for the rest, wasnt even much chandlery, certainly very little in the way of bargains.

Not too many people there which was good, got to have a good look around.

Regards
Honda

I am going to check it out today. The Yalta package at that price basically includes a motor and hull. No electronics, no carpet etc. Pretty smart idea if you ask me, allows for your own customisation. BAre bones boat with no fuss, exactly what I am chasing. Mark might be able to talk me arond this time. Shame I let On-The-Chew's boat go...that was a bargain.

Next time you go into that area for parking, check out the Qld Govt car parks in the Museum, Library or GOMA. On Saturdays and Sunday and after 9am weekdays, parking is $12. I used the Museum one today for the boat show - in at 08:30 and out at 18:15, all for a prepaid of $12.00

We used to get all day specials at convention centre for $5 when I was an apprentice (going to south bris tafe) shame. How do you get into the museum carpark? Is that the first left as you come over the bridge?

TheRealAndy
31-08-2008, 07:12 PM
As a prospective buyer, I have to give a thumbs up to the boat show. I managed to see all the boats that had on my short list, and I managed to narrow it down to 3.

Tournament 2000 bluewater, currently topping my list. I wanted to talk boats but salesman wanted to talk etec which pissed me off a bit. Engines are all the same as far as I care. Will definately follow this one up but with a different salesman.

Yalta 555, this boat really does it for me. I love the simplicity. It lacks the wank features of most boats, just a plain simple boat setup exactly how I like it. Aside from the fancy boats I think this stand definatly generated the most interest.

Lewis 675 and 590. I cant decide which one of these I like best. The walkaround on the 590 is really appealing. The 675 is getting a bit on the large size for what I am chasing. I am going to have to revisit these 2 and spend a couple of hours going over them.

Fish Guts
31-08-2008, 07:38 PM
i was very disappointed with this years boat show. In years gone by there was plentful supply of chandaleries selling gear. this year there was only really bias. i have been going for years and i will not be going there next year. Sanctuary cove will be the only show on my list next year. piss poor show !

WildFisHbOy
31-08-2008, 07:42 PM
The Lewis 590 walkaround was the standout boat for me at the show. The quality of build, style and price were awesome. I hadn't seen these boats before going to the show and I am very seriously considering purchasing one (Haven't slept properly since seeing it lol). The cabin had full 6' bunk which was one of my concerns with centre cabs, but no probs here.

Also a fan of the yalta and freedom boats.

TheRealAndy
31-08-2008, 08:00 PM
i was very disappointed with this years boat show. In years gone by there was plentful supply of chandaleries selling gear. this year there was only really bias. i have been going for years and i will not be going there next year. Sanctuary cove will be the only show on my list next year. piss poor show !

I guess if you were going for chandlery then you were out of luck. I reckon the tinnie and tackle show is best for that stuff. The BNE boat show is pretty much all boats.

The Lewis 590 walkaround was the standout boat for me at the show. The quality of build, style and price were awesome. I hadn't seen these boats before going to the show and I am very seriously considering purchasing one (Haven't slept properly since seeing it lol). The cabin had full 6' bunk which was one of my concerns with centre cabs, but no probs here.

I was looking for something with decent cabin for an overnighter. Also looking for uncluttered deck space. I liked the Lewis 590 a lot. The Tournament also provided a good cabin up front. Tough call though. The yalta is just big enough for me up front, but you have got to love the simplicity of it. Its also about 20k less than the other 2, which for me makes it the best value for money I reckon.

kronfeld7
31-08-2008, 08:49 PM
went to the boat show on friday. some magnificent setups on display, and it was nice to dream a bit. the haines range and allison took my eye and as soon as i win lotto..........

the fishing tackle on offer was quite poor, the same twit from the tinnie and tackle show was there trying to make out he was taking 50% off all tackle when i think in fact he doubled all prices to start with!

rumy1
31-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Lifestyle X-7400 does it for me and the NoosaCats - Patriot 7.6m was very impressive with the double bed under the floor.
Had a good day but thought numbers were down on last year. Boats seem to have had a large increase in prices since last year?
The new Haines Signature 5.43m was spec 'ed up with a price tag of $79 990 ( this boat was already sold)
I bought mine just over 1 year ago, the 5.42 with Suzuki 140 for $45 000 brand new. ( selling it now if any-one is interested ) Couldn't see where the extra
$35 000 was spent that's for sure !
See you all next year !

QF3 MROCP
31-08-2008, 09:12 PM
We used to get all day specials at convention centre for $5 when I was an apprentice (going to south bris tafe) shame. How do you get into the museum carpark? Is that the first left as you come over the bridge?

yeh, it's either left after coming over the William Jolly - that way you have a choice of GOMA or Museum / Library or coming from the city, turn left just before the Arts Playhouse and the road does a left wind under the Victoria bridge.

WildFisHbOy
31-08-2008, 09:23 PM
I was looking for something with decent cabin for an overnighter. Also looking for uncluttered deck space. I liked the Lewis 590 a lot. The Tournament also provided a good cabin up front. Tough call though. The yalta is just big enough for me up front, but you have got to love the simplicity of it. Its also about 20k less than the other 2, which for me makes it the best value for money I reckon.

The tournament is great, but the higher price tag means it stays in the dream category for me lol. Didn't look too closely this time round at the yalta 555 to see what accesories and engine it came with but a mate has one with a 150 4-stroke yammy and the boat/motor (excluding trailer) price tag was a tad over the lewis 190 with 140 4stroke suzi + trailer. I think you could possible loose some options and down power engine, change stroke, brand etc and the price would come down to a lot closer to the yalta show package. But the yalta does handle very nicely and I've thoroughly enjoyed fishing off my mates.

Best of luck in deciding, a damn tuff thing to do lol.

FNQCairns
01-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Lifestyle X-7400 does it for me and the NoosaCats - Patriot 7.6m was very impressive with the double bed under the floor.
Had a good day but thought numbers were down on last year. Boats seem to have had a large increase in prices since last year?
The new Haines Signature 5.43m was spec 'ed up with a price tag of $79 990 ( this boat was already sold)
I bought mine just over 1 year ago, the 5.42 with Suzuki 140 for $45 000 brand new. ( selling it now if any-one is interested ) Couldn't see where the extra
$35 000 was spent that's for sure !
See you all next year !

holy cow!! 80k!! That's floored me, could it be a come in spinner? Not sold and with a ridiculous price to make any deal done look better??

80k - unbelievably high price for a 5.5m boat:o I don't get it:-/

cheers fnq

Mtx
01-09-2008, 10:05 AM
I dont have a bad thing to say about the Yalta.
Fantastic value for money in my opinion.

fishing111
01-09-2008, 10:51 AM
holy cow!! 80k!! That's floored me, could it be a come in spinner? Not sold and with a ridiculous price to make any deal done look better??

80k - unbelievably high price for a 5.5m boat:o I don't get it:-/

cheers fnq

Totally agree, if someone spends that much then I would suspect that they have the title's for a few bridges in there posession also:D

Deadstick
01-09-2008, 02:05 PM

The only thing to be carefull of with this boat if it is still the same as when it was sold by southern star is that there is no storage in the front bunks. this forces you to have to find other places to store your gear. if you have a close look at this issue there are not a lot of other places to put your gear either. this may cause you problems when you want to overnight.

RoboCQ
10-09-2008, 07:43 PM
cbruh1
you will need your kidney,lung,left arm and right leg to swim when your STESSCO spilts as they do regularly