PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Casting Deck

smoked
26-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Hi, I have jutt bought a 3.85m Quintrex Explorer. Im looking at building a casting platform but need some help. I cant weld aluminium so i have to resort to aluminium rivets. Is there somebody out there that could help me? What to use? such as aluminium angles, what size and thickness? Plans? Photos of the frame work? Any help would be very much apprieciated.

smoked

smoked
26-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Here are some pics of it. We picked it up yesterday. Could anyone tell me what year model the hull is. Its in the 80's I think...

cheers

smoked

Luc
26-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Do a search on this site and you should find plenty of info on installing a casting platform.

There have been a couple of excellent string recently. One was on a hull very sinilar to yours.

Luc

Pridey
26-08-2008, 11:09 PM
I dont think your hull is that old, I'd say 90s. (pull some of the newspaper used to set the foam under the bench seats out you'll probably get a date)

As Luc said, there should be heaps of threads on casting decks, if not false floors. I just made one out of ply. no rivets or welding involved.

yellahunter
27-08-2008, 06:45 AM
nice boat mate,
just waiting for my explorer too :)

umm heres a link workth looking at mate,
http://www.ausbream.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5507

have a look around that site as theres a few setups,

good luck with it all,
keep us posted with how you go as i need some ideas too hehe

pedrodepacus
27-08-2008, 07:15 AM
hey mate im on the gold coast but up at bris all the time i could have a look at it for you theres plenty of different ways to do the job. you should be able to tell the age of the boat by the serial number check the last 2 numbers on the transom

385EXPLORER
27-08-2008, 09:32 AM
I have'nt got any pics,but with mine I screwed a piece of aluminium angle about 12-15mm(width of ply+carpet) down from the top of the front seat,cut ply to fit from front seat to the top of the divider that seperates storage compartment,I used two hinges to attach ply to divider so I can easily lift up ply to store stuff under deck.I glued a piece of carpet that was the size of the ply and seat to the ply only.Obviously use stainless srews and hinges.
Cheers Ben.

Shagga
27-08-2008, 04:52 PM
I still think my Explorer was the best boat I have had.