PDA

View Full Version : Boats Boats Boats!!! Which boat to buy?

spearking
26-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum and have already found a heap of useful information.

I'm looking at buying my next boat and need a little direction in my next choice.

Being hell bent on fishing ;D I am chasing something to get me offshore at the gold coast, but something also useful for the missus and kids.:'(

So far I've settled on a budget of around $25, 000

Knowing that I need a hull biger than 5m to get any distance offshore I realise that I will most likley have to go second hand

So far I'm leaning towards the Haines Signature 540f, the Alley craft 540 Palm Beach around the 2000 models some older Trailcraft models.

Can anyone tell me if i'm on the right track, suggest better models, pro's and con's ect

I've been doing my research on the net and out in the feild and now all I can see is boats, boats, and more boats, its sending me nuts!:o ;D

aqua rat
26-08-2008, 05:41 PM
If your car is rated to tow the signature then go the signature it is worlds ahead in the ride compared to a pressed alloy boat like ally craft and better resale.

Jabba_
26-08-2008, 05:52 PM
The Signuture is a good call.. As for the Alley Craft and TrailerCraft, there not going to have a good smooth ride like the Signuture.... Even better (for the wife and kids) pick up a Seafarer or Hains Hunter... These boats are built like brick-sh!tter, and slice the chop better and any mass produced tin boat..... these 2 boats also have better resale value then most of the others

The Seafarer V-sea or Viking would be ideal for a fishing and family boat
http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=5456598
http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=5660395

A top all rounder Hains Hunter
http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2816296
Do a search on Boatpoint,,,, its a great place to shop for a new secondhand boat..

boatboy50
27-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Or you could try these locally.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=5976592

or this

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=5976577

Regards

Darren

Vindicator
27-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Yes a glass boat will give you a better ride offshore but it depends what else you're going to do with it. You mentioned you wanted something you can take the wife and kids out in. Does this mean you'll be heading up estuaries in and around mangroves throwing in crab pots? If so maybe an ally boat boat maybe a better alternative. It also depends how much experience you've had with boats, especially around the ramps loading and unloading. Theres no room for error running a glass boat onto the ramp or rocks around it. If you did go for the ally boat make sure its a plate alloy. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Kezza

Blackjenny
27-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Having just purchased our first boat, I empathise with the confusion about which one to buy. :-/ We did heaps of research and settled on a Seafarer Ventura. Seafarer's have the reputation we were looking to find.

This boat is very nice (Seafarer Venus) and it was a toss up for us, but hubby being so tall we went for the extra length of the Ventura, but it cost more, naturally ;).

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2973748

These people take the boat outside all the time, but use it for fun too. It's been for sale for quite a while, so the owners would probably take an offer.

Good luck with whatever you get.

Ocean_Spirit
27-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Certainly recommend the Seafarer 100%. We had a 1998 Seafarer 5Mtr and it went anywhere. Held resale and looked like new the day we sold it. Have driven the Vikings/Venturas in the 5.5Mtr range and they are a great sea boat with proven record and just that 'little bit bigger'.

Anything between 1995 - 1999 would fall into your category. The 5.0Mtr and 5.5Mtr had a model change around 98/99/00, so you will find the newer and current model had more rounded lines, new dash, and some modifications to the deck layouts mainly.

All Seafarer's up to 2007 were built on the Gold Coast by one of Australia's best boat builders, so the build quality and finish was really the benchmark. Go the Seafarer!

Jabba_
27-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Yes a glass boat will give you a better ride offshore but it depends what else you're going to do with it. You mentioned you wanted something you can take the wife and kids out in. Does this mean you'll be heading up estuaries in and around mangroves throwing in crab pots? If so maybe an ally boat boat maybe a better alternative. It also depends how much experience you've had with boats, especially around the ramps loading and unloading. There's no room for error running a glass boat onto the ramp or rocks around it. If you did go for the ally boat make sure its a plate alloy. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Kezza
You are joking arn't you??. Are plate boats immune to dents, scratches and gouges... If there not, how do you repair them to keep that new look??..

I know off a great product, that is cheap also, called Gell Coat Repairer.. It takes 5min to apply, and another 5min to sand and a quick buff you would never know you chipped or gouged the hull.....

spearking
27-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks all for the info, I'm narrowing my choice to a seafarer or haines, just waiting for the bargain of a lifetime to slap me in the face............ man... looks like I might have to borrow more money:-/ ...really like the seafarer ventura;D ... if any one hears of a killer bargain let me know...... Thanks to all again for the helpfull info and keep it comin!!!

Shagga
27-08-2008, 06:21 PM
You can't go wrong with either.

Blackjenny
27-08-2008, 06:43 PM
man... looks like I might have to borrow more money:-/ ...really like the seafarer ventura;D

B O A T = borrow out another thousand (so the honourable members on here told us)

Sorry, sad but true. :bigcry:
Just joking, just keep looking. Hopefully, the right boat will magically appear. ;)

Chimo
27-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Hi Jenny

If your gunna talk "boat" you have to know its "Bring Out Another Thousand".

No one cares where it comes from: ya just need it and gotta have it!

To Be Sure, To Be Sure
Chimo

Rumrunner2
28-08-2008, 01:49 PM
I went through the same thing last year, was looking at mid 20's ended up spending mid 30's. "that bit better and bit newer, for just a coupe more grand". I have 2 young kids, 5 & 2yo, same scenario wanted to do the family thing yet fish offshore. I settled on a Cox Craft Rumrunner 2 with a 115 Suzi. I couldn't be happier, great allrounder, well priced, built well, rides well, mrs and kids love it and it gets me outside on occasions when all the the planets align!

davez104
28-08-2008, 02:05 PM
You could always pick up an older boat, like a V19 Haines, and spend the rest on a brand new 140HP motor. You would then have a good solid boat with reliability and warranty on the mechanicals.

Just a thought.
Dave.

mattyd
28-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Looking at the boats you're considering I think you're on the right track with those choices - you can tell they're popular on this forum.

Just wanted to suggest you take a look at the Freedom Escape 5.3m. It's in the same league as the other boats IMO, and throw an ETEC 90 or 115 on the back and you'll be off shore or up the estuaries with the best of them! Fits your budget nicely too.

I'm 6ft 4 and find there's plenty of room on the deck and under the biminy (the cabin however is a little low to sit comfortably, but would be great for kids).

Boatpoint is a great site to keep track of for new and 2nd hand boats - keep checking every week for the package you're after.

Good luck and no matter which of these you buy, you won't regret any minute of it.

Cheers,

Matt

Vindicator
29-08-2008, 11:04 AM
You are joking arn't you??. Are plate boats immune to dents, scratches and gouges... If there not, how do you repair them to keep that new look??..

What I was talking about is if you happen to run the keel onto the ramp (of course not at speed) your only going to put a bit of a scratch on an alloy. Whereas a glass boat you've got to be onto the chips all the time.