PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: They're at it again!!!

CUNNING STUNT
26-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Just a quick word of warning to anyone who launches from Cleveland (next to the Air Sea Rescue). These wonderful turdburglars (read: THIEVING PRICKS!!) are on the prowl again. The other night my mate got his boat trailer pinched whilst the car was parked at the ramp. He arrived back From Peel Island about 0230hrs to find his trailer gone. Apparently, all was well with the cars parked there when the person in attendance at the Air Sea Rescue left at about midnight, but when the mate returned a while later, trailer gone, which isn't real flash when you've got your boat in the water. Firstly, keep your eyes open for anyone hanging around boat ramp car parks at stupid hours; these young blokes often try and make it look as though they are trying to jump start a car as a front, but they are more than likely sussing out what they are going to steal when backs are turned. And, secondly, if you do use that ramp, or any unsecured public ramp for that matter, invest in one of those big brass trailer locks and PUT IT ON WHEN YOU LEAVE THE RAMP!!! It won't stop the thieves doing their putrid thing; it might just make your stuff a bit too hard to pinch and they'll go onto the next car/tailer, because truth is these clowns all share 2 common traits; they are all lazy (won't work and will only steal what's easy to get or from those who can't fight back) and they are all stupid (willing to go to jail for breaking into cars and stealing burnt CD's); lovely people.

Cheers,
NICK.

Shagga
26-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Nothing is safe at any boat ramp any more. Maybe councils need to boom gate boat ramps and you need an electronic tag to enter that has a record of your registartion on it.

CUNNING STUNT
26-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Not a bad idea, but that's what boat clubs with their private ramps are all about. It seems a shame that, to be able to go fishing and keep everything safe, you would have to pay another $300-$400 a year for the priviledge; as if things aren't expensive enough already!!

Cheers,
NICK.

SeaHunt
26-08-2008, 01:27 PM
and they are all stupid (willing to go to jail for breaking into cars and stealing burnt CD's); lovely people.

Cheers,
NICK.

If only they did go to jail for doing that. :(

fleety77
26-08-2008, 02:08 PM
cheers mate..

3bagsfull
26-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Sorry to hear about the theft Nick, not good :-(

mudrunner
26-08-2008, 03:24 PM
wonder if the public are better served by police presence at boat ramps more often....or checking a fishermans catch...?

SummerTrance
26-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the heads up mate. Such a shame we have to live with these lowlives in our society. I used to launch at cleveland, but most of the time I now launch at Whyte Island (port of brisbane) The ramp is patrolled 24/7 by port security and also has cctv surveillance cameras watching the carpark.

Also wondering what your mate did with his boat in that situation?

Leighton
26-08-2008, 03:43 PM
I travell to and from the boat ramp with a trailer lock, cheap insurance if only a deterant.
Sad news, I use that ramp weekly. I often stress leaving my work ute, locked tool boxes are easy pickings for these grubs. Luckily all I have lost is a Hammer ( $4 Bunnings:P cheapie) and a half empty pot of glue.

tunaticer
26-08-2008, 05:11 PM
I think that the councils and government should be taking measures to protect thier investments and our properties at public boat ramps by means of back to base cameras. They can install them every km or so along all our major roadways, why cant they place one over the carpark of each boat ramp as well? Surely enough money is made from the GST on fishing alone let alone the boat registration we all pay.

Jack.

subzero
26-08-2008, 07:37 PM
We considered putting a camera or 2 overlooking the car park at VMR Victoria Point but after talking with a few people from Ausfish and our own members it was felt that the CCTV camera could also work against the boat, car or trailer owner. Some felt so strongly that it would increase the risks that if implemented they would not use the ramp at Victoria Point as a result.
Possibly the low lifes could use the availability of the cameras to check out the goods on offer, how many people are coming and going etc.
In the past there have been instances where Marine Radios have been monitored to listen out to see whom was heading off for say a nights fishing This left the crim's safe in the knowledge they had free rein knowing you are not about to return later and catch them once it got dark.

Also, it would take some very expensive equipment to monitor at night over anything more than 10 or 20 yards unless you lit the place up like a solarium. Then the neighbors complain and someone has to pay the power bill.
Not really an easy solution.

Regards Lloyd

TheRealAndy
26-08-2008, 08:05 PM
All I can say is lock your trailer. Weld the hitch on, or tack the nuts to the bolts. Also dont forget to use a locking pin on your tongue. If your leave your trailer vunerable then these idiots will get you.

I also make a point of removing anything of value from my car before I go to public ramps, and remove anything from the tray of my ute. I always leave some cheap shit in the tray as a distraction, cause I reckon half the time the idiots steal for the thrill. Also leave glove box and centre console open so they can see there is nothing in there.

Benno1
27-08-2008, 07:56 AM
sorry to hear about your friends trailer CS...thanks for the heads up as well...i suggested a solar powered CCTV/light set up to our local VMR...he thought it was a good idea but then it all comes down to money doesnt it...unfortunately...i hope that your mate gets his trailer back in good nick and that the ppl that nicked it get more than a slap on the wrist...

Mrs Benno1

CUNNING STUNT
27-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Good to see so many have such strong views (not to mention a few decent solutions!) on said subject. Do expect the Jacks to help out until your stuff is long gone; they're too busy guarding Paedophiles the Government wants to house in our community because they're all OK now.

Cheers,
NICK.

alphas
27-08-2008, 07:56 PM
I work in cleveland and when I need to take a car on atest drive I always do a lap of the air sea rescue...Havent seen anything untoward take place yet,but often the odd dodgy hanging around without a boat or trailer on.It truly is a shame that happened toyour mate...sorry to hear that.

Bear001
27-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Gosh Nick - thanks for updating us & I too am sorry to hear about your mates loss. How did he get the boat home???

Thanks everyone for the forthcoming info - Im heading up to Moreton (8hr trek) in a couple of weeks time & it had never even entered my head to organise some trailer security.

We hope to use the Manly and Wello boat ramps during day and prob fish the river near the port at night. If anyone has any other suggestions/ideas I would be very grateful.

Cin

Angla
31-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Council cameras. Why can't they install 1 at the ramps that are hot spots for this sort of stuff. Is there a camera close by that may have recorded a car going in without a trailer and then returning with one later. A servo or a mall camera

They should be found and dealt with, these scum.

Chris

CUNNING STUNT
02-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Unfortunately, it all depends who the turds are stealing from. If someone is stealing from the working man, the powers that be just simply don't give a toss, but get something from a Bank or the Government, an unprecedented shower os shit shall be rained down upon you. Great, isn't it...

Cheers,
NICK.

ovakil
02-09-2008, 06:59 PM
If money was an issue,they should install dummy camera's.Thieves won't be able to know if they are on or not.

wayno60
28-09-2008, 09:10 PM
just talking about locks.......what sort would you recomend.
i thought one of those big brassy looking one fitted up into where the toe ball normally go's????

wayno60
28-09-2008, 09:39 PM
dont worry i see how they work now..!!

tinman42
03-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Re that ramp next to Air Sea Rescue at Cleveland, had a report some time back about a spare wheel being stolen from a trailer parked next door in the "secure" lock up yard of the boat club.

Fences and locks only deter honest thieves!

wilcara
03-10-2008, 02:13 PM
This is a big problem in New Zealand too... locals frequent some river access car parks and rip off belongings from fishermens cars. One spot I went to had CCTV cameras installed as well as teh usual huge warning signs, but the crooks knocked off the cameras!