PDA

View Full Version : bow mount electric position....does it matter..?

yellahunter
26-08-2008, 07:44 AM
hey guys,

well my new boat should hopefully be ready this week but ive got a dillema re the bow mount electric,

the boat is a quintrex explorer thus having two bow rails at the front of the boat, with a small gap. I tried to get them removed but the boat had already been painted.

My drama is where to mount the electric,
ive had a few mixed opinions about where it should be and if it matters going straight ahead..

the pic below shows what i mean.. can anyone forsee a problem mounting it like this, apart from the room issue on the front deck whilst driving..? If not i might leave it there to begin with..

otherwise i will have to cut the bow rail off and have a bare metal look on the front..

any tips are appreciated.

plaztix
26-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Most people put them at the angle from the side to keep the front of the boat clear and so that it doesn't obscure your view from the back of the boat when underway.

If it doesn't block your view and the fact that its taking up a lot of the front of your boat doesn't worry you then were you've got it would be fine. Personally i would tend to point it at an angle to try to keep the casting deck as clear as possible. Just for those perfect drifts when you dont need the motor in.

ffejsmada
26-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Ben, I reckon you'll regret it down the track if you place it in the middle like that.

Pain in the bum. I had the rail cut on my painted boat to enable the shaft to sit along the gunwale.
Look at the space you will lose.............you'll be tripping over the thing ..............bloody nightmare.

But then again, it's your boat.

Cheers Jeff.

RAT-KING
26-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Hey yeah i think ur only problem will be space! is that front section below ur sounder a movabable storage door? if it is u will b in touble! I had 2 move my rail too its not to bad no one notices the rail only ur electric!
Cheers Simon

Gagga08
26-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Yellahunter...I have a Quinnie Explorer with a bow mounted electric and I had both bow rails removed and a plate mounted off to the side of the bow to mount the electric on. That way it stays well out of the way when it is not in use. I dont always fish using my leccy so if it was mounted like the one in your photo I would find it incredible annoying.

Also I can also see it causing problems for you if you were using an anchor. I have a bow roller mounted on my boat, where the leccy in your picture is.

My advise would beto get rid of the rails!

the gecko
26-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Im with the boys, do it right.

Anchoring is a major issue and a good reason for removing the left bowrail. Visibility is the next issue, as the bow is higher when the boat is on the plane.

Check out this thread
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=107987

Andrew

baitwaster
26-08-2008, 11:49 AM
I know I keep plugging cunninghams marine, but they cut the rail down and bent it and re-welded it, fabricated and welded the plate on, then installed the motorguide for $200. It's worth doing properly the first time.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c194/m8eee/fishin/26072008906.jpg

yellahunter
26-08-2008, 07:43 PM
thanks heaps for the tips guys,
definately good info.

my problem is that the hull is painted so where its cut you will have raw aluminium showing..
If i did have it cut would it be a major issue to get the spots painted..? or do they have to do the whole bloody thing...? might sound silly but i dont know a lot about painting etc

24fish7
26-08-2008, 08:13 PM
i have a explorer mate with the minkota on the bow i just cut the left bowrail out and mounted it on the left hand side can post a pic if you like.

Leighton
26-08-2008, 08:23 PM
I cut the rail on my Bow Rider.
Got a mate to make me a stainless cap for one end that was cut close to the bow rail support. On the other end he made up for me another cap that had a leg that we secured to the deck with stainless screws.
It turned out neat and tidy and the bow rail maintained its strength with the new support in place

yellahunter
26-08-2008, 08:29 PM
i have a explorer mate with the minkota on the bow i just cut the left bowrail out and mounted it on the left hand side can post a pic if you like.

thanks mate
yeah a pic would be great

Kleyny
26-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Talk to a scratch repair guy (automotive) and see what they say in regards to touching up the cut off areas.
I would assume that as long as you can get the corect marine paint the touch up guys will have no dramas in making it look like new.

neil

marty_z
26-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Hey Ben,

As others have said the best option is to cut the bow rail off on one side - I took my port rail off as my console is on the starboard side so I had clear view ahead of the boat. And definitely mount it on an angle so your deck space is as clear as possible.

As for Quick Release brackets, I don't have one and the guys I know that do never remove the electric anyway. They do make a good mounting plate, but with a bit of running around you can get one made for half the price.

I know cutting the bow rail off your new boat sounds like madness, but you won't regret it in the long run. If you want to save some dollars let me know and I will bring the angle grinder around. It will definitely leave some evidence that it has been cut off, but you will get over it after you land a few good fish from the new boat. As for painting, again I know it is a brand new boat but you will eventually scratch it so an area that isn't painted (or has been patched) will soon be forgotten.

If you want a closer look at how mine is mounted let me know and you can come around and have a look.

Exciting times - see you on the water ;D .

Marty

yellahunter
26-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Hey Ben,

As others have said the best option is to cut the bow rail off on one side - I took my port rail off as my console is on the starboard side so I had clear view ahead of the boat. And definitely mount it on an angle so your deck space is as clear as possible.

As for Quick Release brackets, I don't have one and the guys I know that do never remove the electric anyway. They do make a good mounting plate, but with a bit of running around you can get one made for half the price.

I know cutting the bow rail off your new boat sounds like madness, but you won't regret it in the long run. If you want to save some dollars let me know and I will bring the angle grinder around. It will definitely leave some evidence that it has been cut off, but you will get over it after you land a few good fish from the new boat. As for painting, again I know it is a brand new boat but you will eventually scratch it so an area that isn't painted (or has been patched) will soon be forgotten.

If you want a closer look at how mine is mounted let me know and you can come around and have a look.

Exciting times - see you on the water ;D .

Marty

Marty,

il let you know when i get the boat and might pop around or have you come check it out. cant wait to get underway with it all. hopefully its a good summer

cheers,

Ben