PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting Fishing for fun

Noiseworks
25-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Lately, my family and I have changed some of our fishing habits. Previously we would take a couple of castnets up to the local whiting area, to catch live bait. Since buying some baitcasters, we have discovered a whole new world (to us anyway), and have started catching our livies with rod and reel. Nothing groundbreaking in that, but what it has done is put lots of smiles on the faces of the kids. We have competitions for most whiting caught etc, and everone is really enjoying themselves. You cast out and it is literally a matter of max 40 seconds before the 'tap tap' happens. We stand alongside each other, goading, coaxing, bragging, just smiling and having fun. It's been great. Went down for an hour or so this arvo with my two boys and young daughter. She landed her first brim..you should have heard the screaming and yelling.......she was absolutely ecstatic. No false emotions......just beaming happy. Wife plans to come down tomorrow arvo to get into the action. It has just crystalized in us that it isn't necessarily the big fish that provide the biggest smiles.

Cheers
Noiseworks

2manylures
25-08-2008, 10:59 PM
absolutely
priceless

Cammy
25-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Thats variety for ya mate, different techniques, different fish. Hope ya have fun doing what suits you best.

Cam

Apollo
26-08-2008, 05:37 AM
Good move. Time very well spent.

Little grey men
26-08-2008, 10:38 AM
It has just crystalized in us that it isn't necessarily the big fish that provide the biggest smiles.

Great stuff and very true....my six year old boy has landed bream, bass on spinnerbaits, barra at Awoonga in a Skeeter and heaps of other species. By far his most noteable capture, which had him jumping up and down and yelling was a ............toadfish. :-/ Apparently they're cute. go figure.

Noiseworks
26-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Latest update, check out this whiting. Measured 29cm and the smile was nearly as wide. Some times it hurts to be a dad, my rod, my bait, my cast, my catch.......she reeled it in after it was hooked. What could i do????;)

Cheers
Noiseworks

CreelReaper
26-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Mate, these times are priceless. It is what gels a family together. As the old saying goes......a family that plays together stays together. Great read.

2manylures
28-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Latest update, check out this whiting. Measured 29cm and the smile was nearly as wide. Some times it hurts to be a dad, my rod, my bait, my cast, my catch.......she reeled it in after it was hooked. What could i do????;)

Cheers
Noiseworks

Just be that DAD, the best you can & these times will continue.

I for one take my hat off to you.

maztez
28-08-2008, 06:03 AM
This is what FAMILY is all about ....enjoying life and its adventures together .
Kids grow up too quick so enjoy whilst you can .
cheers Terry

Noelm
28-08-2008, 08:54 AM
been in that same Boat myself, my kids (Adults now) have caught most everything available to us in our region, from Marlin to Flathead, and by far the best memories for them is Beach fishing as little tackers, and swimming and digging holes in the sand while I tried my best to keep all the gear out of the Sand, and one of the best stories of all that comes up at family BBQ's is the time we were Whiting Fishing with Beach Worms, and my Son ate all the Worms while we were Fishing!! or Jetty Fishing down the Coast on Holidays and catching a host of Fish, none of which would be over 10CM long, but they would sit for hours catching all manner of rubbish, come home for some lunch, then back down the Jetty again, AAAHHH the good simple Family times to be had with bugger all cost or fuss! and I guess they did not know it, but they were learning the basics of Fishing all the time and did not know it!

reidy
29-08-2008, 03:57 PM
you have found the essence of life there noiseworks.
The simple things in life are the most remembered and cherished.
Enjoy mate your on a winner
All the best mate
Reidy

fleety77
29-08-2008, 04:14 PM
thanks pal gets ya thinking we all strive for the biggest and the best, yet the fun in that can outweigh anything.......