PDA

View Full Version : Portable soft rubber roof racks

Essence
25-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi
I want to put the kayak up on the roof of the new coy car. I've seen some that are on, what looks like soft rubber portable roof racks??
Mind you at 110, I don't spend that much time looking:)

Has anyone got them? or know someone who has?
If so, where do you buy them in Brisbane??
Cheers

Leighton
25-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Annaconda have them, no idea of $$$$

Ausfish
25-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I am pretty sure Mal has them at Sunstate Hobie, just click on the sponsors banner for this forum.

They will be at the boat show so you can have a look at them there I would imagine and chat to Mal about them.

jim_bream
26-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Bugger!
I was just chatting to my hosemate last night about the same thing (we're going to Wivenhoe for the Comp in 2 weeks) and he said he had some soft straps that he used for his surfboards.
We went through the whole house upstairs & down and they're gone! Apparantly they're called Soft Racks or something similar. Sorry I can't be of more help, if you do find them please post your findings, I might to follow in your footsteps.
Jimbo
P.S> Try checking out http://www.goodtime.com.au/index.php?PCID=2198

themissus
26-08-2008, 05:47 PM
they are great for surfboards. Haven't used them for a kayak though. You can get them from surf shops also. One word of warning, if it's raining they leak, the water runs down the straps and into the car. Learnt the hard way, very wet car seats and camping gear. Bugger!!
Cheers Kim.

Alchemy
26-08-2008, 06:52 PM
I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but they may be handy?

http://www.bla.com.au/index.php?fn=productGroupView&dId=1&id=3825&eId=10&sId=7ce31e5d47d015d6c66b9bf15d016ba1

jim_bream
27-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Nice one alchemy,
cuppla ratchet-straps with those foam blocks- sorted.
Interesting find.
cheers,
Jimbo

Essence
31-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Bought from springwood, 'Easy fit roof racks' Maxx Load 80kg ($62). Foam filled soft webbing with grey strap to attach through the car, and a 4m black one for yak.
Did have to recheck after loading and re-tighten, other than that worked well on falcon.
Obvious pointer is to make sure to clean off any sand/soil before attaching, so they don't scratch the roof.

jim_bream
03-09-2008, 10:54 PM
What was the name of the shop you get them at mate?

spelchek
04-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Would they be suitable for just fishing rods?

Essence
09-09-2008, 05:57 PM
They would be fine for fishing rods, but think better solutions are about for rods, unless you put the rods inside a peice of pipe and tie that on....
The shop was anaconda.
Further comment, they are fine for short trips but have found the roof flexes too much for my nerves, on long run.
Will eventually get the removable sit-on rolas that actually sit on the 'track' on top of the car.
Off to burrum heads for hols. cheers!

Dunks
12-09-2008, 11:03 PM
I have used the easy fit roof racks for about 18 months now. Firstly with my espri and now with my outback. My car (Hyundai Accent) shows no ill effects from having them strapped on. I always use a tie down to the front of the car.

Before I bought these I used to use a pool noodle with a ratchet strap through the middle. Dodgy but worked just fine;)

They work so well that I even convinced the missus into letting me put the yak on her beloved car when we were visiting friends in Maroochy so I could go for a paddle up there. 90mins up and 90 mins back not a single mark on her car and I caught a feed of fish for my mate8-)

Dory4.1
22-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Hey dunks,

How did you get a strap through the middle of a pool noodle. Very inventive I must say.

Rgs
Michael