PDA

View Full Version : Night Light

Raddish
25-08-2008, 03:21 PM
As my eyesight gets weaker the humble torch doesn't cut it anymore, especially
when surf fishing at night.

I am seeking info about installing (attaching) a removable 'fluro' type light to a ladder rack that I have in the rear of my Hilux. The light should provide sufficient lighting to enable us to fillet fish, and tie rigs etc.

Preferrably the light should be easily installed/removed and not have to be directly connected to battery or plugged into cigarette lighter.

We are going to try those 'cats eyes' cap lights but we are still looking for some additional lighting device.

Any info much appreciated.

Raddish

2manylures
25-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Have you given GAS mantles a thought?

manchild
25-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Buy yourself a decent jumperpack and some fluoro worklights.I using this setup from camping to fishing and hunting .
George

Bear001
25-08-2008, 03:58 PM
you can get the flouro lights now that dont have the alligator clips to run off battery - but they recharge in a cradle at home.

I think they are a fair bit dearer but the light is supposed to have a very long run time. Any good mechanical store like Repco will have them.

peterbo3
25-08-2008, 04:55 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/peterbo3/IMG_0451Medium.jpg

This a 12v Strip LED that I have put under each gunnel of my boat. Waterproof, really bright with about .1 amp draw. You could run a pair of them off a small motorbike battery forever. Better than flouros. No hum & much cleaner light.

the gecko
26-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Ive seen them about the same size, but running off batteries, so they are self contained, no wires. They have a magnetic strip built in. LED lights are the key to low current draw, so you wont have to recharge them too often. try supercheap autos.

Andrew

techman
26-08-2008, 12:14 PM
At work we use rechargeable LED lights that are excellent. They are an SCA brand and cost around 50 bucks from Supacheap. I have left them on for up to 4 hours and they seem to be going strong can't say how thet will last in a salt water environment though.

2DKnBJ
29-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Like the idea of mounting the light under the gunnel Peter.May have to look at doing the same.
Whitworths has a LED strip light that rotates 180 deg on special and as Peter said they will run off a small battery for ages.

Cheers Dazza

fish-n-dive
29-08-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm planning on having courtesy (night) lights in my new boat. My thoughts are to somehow fit them under the gunnel's pointing down towards the floor to diffuse the light and not muck around with my night vision.

I'll also have one/two on the Targa for general lighting.

Without trying to hijack the thread has anyone fitted the new underwater LED's being advertised these days?