PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Stabicraft 559

chuss
25-08-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand stabicraft 559 Fisher. The deal on the unfinished centre console was too expensive.
Anyone got any opinions on this boat?
2004 model.

I understand stabicraft are releasing a 529 WFR which will be a little better than the 559, but this one is a low hours boat with a Merc 115 eFI 4 donk on the back.

Let me know your thoughts

Noelm
25-08-2008, 10:57 AM
except for the fact that I reckon they look ugly, (my opinion only here) they perform OK, certainly as good as most and probably a lot better than some of the more fancied brands.

Gagga08
25-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Ugly, Ugly Boat. And for the price you pay for them i reckon there has gotta be something better out there

sid_fishes
25-08-2008, 05:29 PM
for what its worth, they are damned ugly. that said , they are strong ,well built, and handle . go with what you feel is right, and enjoy it, if you choose it cheers ian

leezor
25-08-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm with the other guys, IMO they sure wont win any beauty contests but like they say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and most people who own one love them.

manchild
25-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Ugly boat with legendary seaworthyness.Take a ride in one in rough seas and youll be pleased.
George

Wayne Holland
04-09-2008, 01:04 AM
If you married a Beauty Queen who was incapable of cooking, cleaning and was less than average between the sheets, how long before you traded her for a model that can?

Wayne Holland.
Typhoon Boats.

siegfried
04-09-2008, 01:18 PM
If you married a Beauty Queen who was incapable of cooking, cleaning and was less than average between the sheets, how long before you traded it for a model that can?

Wayne Holland.
Typhoon Boats.
pisser;D ;D You could buy a flash homo boat for the front yard and keep the stabi in the shed and only bring it out to go fishing if your worried about looks ,cause when its blowing 20+ looks mean f*rkall

stinky-stabi
04-09-2008, 01:48 PM
seems to me people are taking a liking to ugly boats as where i live i had never seen one till 2 years ago now i know of atleast nine of them...i bought one and can vouch that they are built like brick shite house .lolol

tony

scrubba01
04-09-2008, 04:48 PM
seems to me people are taking a liking to ugly boats as where i live i had never seen one till 2 years ago now i know of atleast nine of them...i bought one and can vouch that they are built like brick shite house .lolol

tony

Hi Tony
How do they go when you are going straight into a bit of swell? I have heard they tend to bang a bit as the water hits up under the pontoon is this correct? Other than that I would say they are pretty much unsinkable.

frogfuzz
04-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Chus I own I smaller version (509WFR) and they are brilliant. Certainly not as fast through a chop as a glass boat, but if a wave hit me crossing the bar or when I'm 40km out, it doesn't worry me - or the boat - in the slightest.

In fact I was stuffing around flicking lures in Caloundra Bar once and took a wave over the back transom - it didn't bother the rig at all. I can also stand on top of the gunwale and the thing barely lists; try doing that on any other "tinny", or even many glass boats. I've also had many admiring looks from air sea rescure types.

Scrubba - they are no more noisy than any other 'tinny' when they hit the chop.

Chus: Buy a later model; they are much better looking yet still just as functional. Good luck finding one though. People tend to hang onto them; which initself speaks volumes.

Wayne Holland
04-09-2008, 08:03 PM
A long time ago a mate of mine who manufactures the superb AMF boats in N.Z. took a look at a Stabi craft and said "who are going to buy these things". Twenty years on and Stabi build 600+ boats a year and there are 6 other manufactures of pontoon boats doing between 50 to 200 a year.

Yes there is a market in the commercial sector but by in large they are purchased by recreational fisherman.

Lets face it no one would purchase a pontoon boat for its sleek looks, its about function over form, they are stable; they are safe; they are sea worthy, they ride well and are forgiving in indifferent conditions. Its not about the look of the boat it’s about the design that gives the skipper confidence when things turn nasty.

There is a lovely story, probably an urban legend, that some years ago when Stabies were really ugly, there was a rather sniffy offshore NZ power boat fishing club where big boats were the norm because of the distance travelled to and from the fishing grounds, in fairly average conditions , that all changed when they had fisherman rock up to join the club, who owned small Stabis..... a lot of richies looked down their very long noses at the up starts.

Regards Wayne.
Typhoon Boats

peterbo3
04-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Chuss,
You want to buy that particular boat? Perhaps? Then go for a ride in it. All the comments here mean zip when compared to an actual sea trial. Take it out on a shitty day & see what it does. I ordered my Fisher AFTER I had been in the boat & had seen how it performed. Drive the sucker & make a decision.

stinky-stabi
13-09-2008, 08:09 AM
If you married a Beauty Queen who was incapable of cooking, cleaning and was less than average between the sheets, how long before you traded her for a model that can?

Wayne Holland.
Typhoon Boats.

well said wayne you hit the nail on the head first time.....

tony