PDA

View Full Version : LZ Hydrofoil Mini-Review

BaitThrower
24-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Hey all,

Went out today for the first time since adding a foil to my 15hp Johnson engine.
Put the el-cheapo $20 LZ Gull-wing hydrofoil on. (Boat is a 12ft open fibreglass dinghy type thingymejig).

On the box it claims a number of things... I will list those here, followed by whether I thought they were true based on my outing on the Logan River (conditions reasonable, bit of wind but mostly smooth river water) with comments in red;

- Straight Tracking - Umm seemed to be a little straighter I guess 8-)
- Smoother Ride - Possibly yes. Less bow lift out of the hole anyway.
- Maximum Lift - What is the "maximum" anyway. Lift improved yes. As for maximum, who knows :P
- Reduced Planing Time - Yes, seemed to get ont he plane faster than previously and with a lot less bow lift.
- Increased Stability - Hard to measure I guess. I did feel quite comfortable with the handling and stability at speed though. So possibly an improvement here.
- Lower Fuel Consumption - Didn't measure it really. Can't say. Possibly because it gets on the plane faster, but then you also probably have a bit more drag too.
- Reduced Cavitation - Didn't experience any today in fact. Although water wasnt too rough. No cavitation during turns noticed.
- Effortless Installation - Makes ya sound like they jump out of the box, drill the holes in your cav plate and install them without you lifting a finger! Not true, but I guess it isnt too difficult. Took me maybe 30 mins to do a proper job.
- Excellent steering at low speeds - I'd say better, yes.
- Stainless mounting hardware included - No rust on the hardware yet ::)

And now for two more item not mentioned on the box...

Effect on top speed.
My top speed is about 37km/h with this motor (GPS measured). With LZ fitted, top speed is...... 37 km/h. Doesnt appear to have had any noticeable effect on top speed.

Staying on plane at lower revs
I'd say so. Didn't seem to have to open the throttle as much to stay on top of the water once I got there.

Well, hope that rather unscientific review might help. I figured I'd whack one of these on as my boat is usually stern-heavy most of the time and needed a bit of a$$ lift to get it onto the plane quicker without burying the back underwater in the process. Maybe the best $20 I spent in a while...

No affiliation with manufacturer yada yada etc etc.

tunaticer
24-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi BT, can you update this thread and let me know how your boat behaves in sloppy metre or so conditions with the foil.

I fitted a OMC recommended one (can't recall the brand) to my 25HP Evinrude on a 4.1m v-punt several years ago after a terrible time in sloppy seas around Stanage Bay. It behaved similar to your results in good water. In sloppy conditons it made handling the boat much worse. So much worse I took it off at sea and then safely got home. The difference in lumpy uncomfortable conditions was highly noticeable on my boat and could be totally different for your boat.

Jack.

BaitThrower
25-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Ok will update after I find some slop to travel through :P

kind_cir
25-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi BT, can you update this thread and let me know how your boat behaves in sloppy metre or so conditions with the foil.

I fitted a OMC recommended one (can't recall the brand) to my 25HP Evinrude on a 4.1m v-punt several years ago after a terrible time in sloppy seas around Stanage Bay. It behaved similar to your results in good water. In sloppy conditons it made handling the boat much worse. So much worse I took it off at sea and then safely got home. The difference in lumpy uncomfortable conditions was highly noticeable on my boat and could be totally different for your boat.

Jack.
Would recomend them for river/creek boats but not for boats that travle in swell. The lift generated is centred and makes the boat tippy side to side in swell. For a offshore boat trim tabs are much better and will keep you safe.
Will get a foil for the tinny after reading this report, but will stay with the trim tabs on the offshore rig.

finding_time
25-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Baitthrower

Again this may not effect your boat but be a little careful throwing the boat into a turn, you may not like what happens! On my old boat this was a big no no the stern of the boat would jump and skip and it would have been very easy to roll!

Ian

BaitThrower
25-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Baitthrower

Again this may not effect your boat but be a little careful throwing the boat into a turn, you may not like what happens! On my old boat this was a big no no the stern of the boat would jump and skip and it would have been very easy to roll!

Ian

Yep mate no worries. I don't throw the boat into any turn anyway! Just nice steady turns when on the plane. Sharp turns only when off the plane. Wondering if this is why the LZ foil has gull-shape on it? I would imagine this might help to alleviate that roll issue as they probably dont dig in as much during a turn?

upstart
25-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the report. I am considering a foil for my tinny and 20hp motor. I am leaning towards a Permatrim as I have had a good experience with one in the past.

goldfish
26-08-2008, 09:47 AM
hi BT. where did you get them from? pm me if you don't want to promote the retailer.
ps great report

bigtez
26-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Baitthrower

Ian

I had a similar experience with a Seamaster G2 foil on a 4m/25hp V Nose Punt. While it was a tiller steer it wouldn't track smoothly through fast turns. I have since changed it to a side console and didn't notice the problem anymore. However because the boat was leaping onto the plane I took it off and enjoyed the extra top end speed.

I have put a bigger prop on and will probably try the foil again this week. Will post how it goes.

Terry

BaitThrower
26-08-2008, 09:50 PM
hi BT. where did you get them from? pm me if you don't want to promote the retailer.
ps great report

BIAS Boating (Slacks Creek store). I think Whitworths have them also. In fact, probably most boat shop chains do :)