PDA

View Full Version : Lord Howe Island Holiday

Aquarius
24-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Howdy Ausfishers, Well a 15 year dream has now become reality for my wife and myself.
We flew into Lord Howe last Sunday and were greeted with 35 knot S/W winds as our small plane decended towards the short landing strip.
Talk about a rough ride but eventually we were safe on land once more.
Talking to some locals i soon learnt that the fishing boats had not been out for a couple of weeks due to bad weather.
I had studied the weather charts and was confident my luck was about to change.
Tuesday had come around and the sky cleared and the winds dropped....'ye ha fishing trip here we come"
Not many charter boats working on the island over winter but i managed to book a half day trip on GREENBACK.
This boat is a tri hull at around 9.5 metres and handles like a dream in the rough conditions so i was told by the skipper.
We set off at 7am through the small passage way out across the reef and into the blue ocean.
Dave our skipper stopped at several locations after following diving sea birds to try for live bait.
This trip we had about 5 fisher people a deckie and skipper.
Not many slimmies about but Dave pulled up quite a few pilchards for the live bait tank.
Ok time to let those livey's loose on some kingfish.
I took along a 15 kilo jigstick matched with a small Saltiga overhead reel spooled with 40 lb braid.
I was keen to try the soft plastics on these powerful fish.
Only pulled in a small kingie of about 4 kilo and got busted up many times so i opted for the skippers gear after this.
80lb braid and a 150 lb leader was the go to land a good kingie.
Someone lost a ripper of about 15 kilo at the boat and i pulled in a nice one of 10 kilo +.
Total catch forthe morning was 25kingfish.
The islanders fish drought is over and i was proud to be a part of the crew.
Wednesday Morning was a cracker, variable winds and a metre swell.
This trip was to be special for me as the skipper and deckie were going out to catch more fish for the island and i asked if i could join them.
"You beauty i'm out here with a charter boat all to myself how lucky is this"
We started off with the usual ritual of livey gathering and this time we had about 25 slimmy's to let loose.
Talk about fun these kingies pull like frieght trains and don't like coming up from 35 metres.
Another 10 kilo for me and i lost some bigger models.
One fish bent the hook it was almost straight!!
Just before we headed for home my bait got hammered and what ever it was took off at a serious rate of knots.
The boys were saying come on you can do it but my arms were so sore and the fish was winning.
The skipper started to back up on this monster which we all thought was a 20 kilo kingie but after 15 minuets i had a 40 kilo black cod boatside.
Would you believe it there was my 7' gulp down its big gob.
I actually hooked the same fish on the Tuesday.
All i can say is you havn't fished until you have done battle with a Lord Howe Island kingfish they are truely awesome.
Many thanks to GREENBACK skipper Dave and Deckie Mark for a sensational fishing experience.
Cheers Brent

Aquarius
24-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Here are some more photos from Lord Howe Island.
This is a magical place just 600 kilometres off our coast.

tunaticer
24-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Looks like a bloody good holiday destination there!

I wonder if that jetty gets schools of squid hanging around it? Sure looks like a good place to set some night time live squid baits out.

Is there much in the way of small boat hire there?

Is there much good land based locations for those wind blown days you cant get a boat offshore?

Jack.

big_steve001
24-08-2008, 06:20 PM
well done brent sounds like an awesome trip. have always wanted to get out there one day and this report makes me wanna go more. what was the rod and reel setup the skipper lent you and what gear would you reccomend me taking. cheers steve

Benno1
24-08-2008, 06:21 PM
fan...bloody...tastic!!! is a word that comes to mind when reading your report Aquarius...the winds were'nt kind to you at the start...but like any true fisherman...you hung in there...and was rewarded...love the piccies of the big gold spot...imagine being a bait fish or said nuclear chook and that vision being your last :P...thanks again for the top shelf report and piccies :D

Mrs Benno1

Aquarius
24-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Forgot to mention we first fished in 60 metres of water but had a problem with big whaler sharks attacking the baits.
Biggest was around 6 foot.
Im definately going back again sometime this is paradise.
One of the pics was taken when hand feeding 10 kilo kingfish at Neds beach.
Imagine standind knee deep in water with big fish all around.

Steven78
24-08-2008, 06:34 PM
What a Trip sound like a wonderful break. Did Judy get out and get any fish?
Makes our bay sound very tame. Might have to talk the Girls into another Trip
Thanks Steve :)

Aquarius
24-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Tunaticer, There are no small boats for hire as most of the lagoon is protected.
This is the worlds most southern tropical reef and the fish life around the lagoon is amazing.
Double header wrasse and many tropical fish species among the coral.

Big-Steve oo1,We were using Shimano overhead lever drag reels loaded with 80lb braid and a 150lb crimped leader.
You might get away with a 100lb leader but 80 lb main line is minimum for these brutes.
The skipper told me he caught a 33kilo kingie a few months back and i was having trouble landing my 10 kilo.
The rods are attached to the boat with a saftey line and believe me i saw a few people nearly go over the side with the gear a few times.

Cheers Brent

backlash08
24-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the post Brent - lord howe is a great place, have done battle with the YTK's there in past - as you say, great for the arms and the experience at neds is one of those 'money cant buy' experiences - cheers - Craig

Angla
25-08-2008, 01:05 AM
That sound like an absolute blinder of a trip. Thanks for sharing those pics. I can't imagine hand feeding those kingies then going out and fighting them on the reefs.
It's a pleasure to see nature at it's best.

Chris

Horse
25-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Some solid fish there Brent. It sounds like a pretty special holiday destination. I can remember a lot of magazine articles about it a decade or so ago
Is there much for the rest of the family to do there?

Neil

LostNearBribie
25-08-2008, 08:33 AM
It is an awesome place!
We were lucky enough to spend a couple of weeks there two years ago.
I was also lucky enough to spend a day on a boat with just the skipper.
Done a lap of the island in a 7m centre console, caught trevs and sharks till by arms ached.
A couple of nice kingy's on the way home, fantastic a day I will never forget.

Horse there is not a hell of a lot to do there.
There is a golf course, lots of bush walks, beaches etc.
It is a place away from the rest of the world. Very quiet. Only a few cards on the island.
Every one walks or rides push bikes. Fantastic.

Check this out:

http://www.lordhoweisland.info/

This guy I can personally recommend:

http://www.fishinglordhoweisland.com.au/index.htm

Not cheap, but awesome...

Pistol_P
25-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Great holdiay destination.....

I looked into it myself but the $$$ are up there.

Sounds like you had a great trip.

I am very keen to get there one day.

Pete