PDA

View Full Version : Advice apreciated Haines 490 v Sportsman Craft 5m

whoknows
21-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi Guys, had little experience with glass boats, trying to compare two at the moment. 1st one is a 1994 Haines hunter 490SR with 1994 Evinrude 2 stroke. 2nd is a 1995 5m Sportsman Craft runabout with 2007 Yamaha 2 stroke. Both boats appear to be in good condition and are in similar price range. Any advice as to handling, stability on the move and at anchor etc. would be much appreciated.
Cheers

BrandonH
21-08-2008, 12:06 PM
My dad use to have a sportsman craft boat from brand new back in the seventies, he was considering the same boats as you (obliviously older models!!) Anyways he went for the sprotsman craft due to it appearing to have a thicker hull and slightly better build. Only thing he was upset about was not getting a 115 fitted at the time.

I know from what I have heard that both these boats are very well regarded (probably Haines more so mainly cause there are more of them out there!!) I think in your situation if you like both boats and they both seam solid I would look closer at witch motor would be better for you (fair age difference between your options).

Cheers
Brandon...

Vitamin Sea
21-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi

I have had both in 17 'ers, the S'Craft in a runabout, Haines in H/Cabin

The Sportsmancraft was the wettest boat I have ever been in, the deciding factor in selling it was coming back from deep tempest one day with 10-15 NE blowing, me in the S'Craft, a mate in his 17 Haines, sided by side running up to the Cape.

We literally drowned, even had the bilge pump going, mate in the Haines barely a drop on him.

I was still soaked 2 1/2 hrs later when I got home to Yatala.>:(

Sportsmancraft went up for sale the next day.

You would not pick it looking at them, but they are 2 very different behaving hulls.

Go the Haines, negotiate the price regarding the motor.

my 2 bob's

Cheers

Bill

boatboy50
21-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Hey,

Will you be taking it to Deep Tempest?

If not I wouldn't be too concerned about that. Neither of those boats were designed to run out there.

VC is comparing a cabin boat to a runabout. Hardly apples with apples.

The Haines will be a better running hull, but nowhere near as stable as the Sportsmancraft, or with the same fishing room in the cockpit for the clan.

The engine difference is a huge one, and worth about 5k in price difference to me.

The rule of buying used is to make sure the engine is 100% perfect. Which one would fit that category?

Vitamin Sea
22-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Hey,

Will you be taking it to Deep Tempest?

If not I wouldn't be too concerned about that. Neither of those boats were designed to run out there.

VC is comparing a cabin boat to a runabout. Hardly apples with apples.

The Haines will be a better running hull, but nowhere near as stable as the Sportsmancraft, or with the same fishing room in the cockpit for the clan.

The engine difference is a huge one, and worth about 5k in price difference to me.

The rule of buying used is to make sure the engine is 100% perfect. Which one would fit that category?

Deep Tempest in either boat, no, Peel definate, Moreton, more than likely, at least I would.

The Deep Tempest anology was merely a indication of the hull in not exactley bad conditions, was not comparing MY 17 S/Craft runabout to MY 17 H/C Haines, was comparing it to my mates 17 Haines r'about.

The comparison is also very applicable to typical bay conditions, it was wet!

As I also mentioned, the motor is a big factor, certainly the newer Yam is a lot more desirable on a price for price comparrison, hence the need for some negotiation.-

VS