PDA

View Full Version : PFDs

quigley595
21-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Folks,
Here's the problem.
I have purchased an inflatable yoke type PFD (Mustang), which I ordered as a PFD I.
When it arrived, it is clearly labelled as a PFD II. There are no Australian standards markings on it, but it is certified by the US Coast Guard as complying with standard UL 1180.

I know the MSQ standards on PFD 1s states that they should comply with various Aust and International standards, but UL1180 is not mentioned.

I also know that in 2006 there was an exemption granted to the effect that PFDs complying with certain international standards that have been assessed as near equivalent, or better than the Australian standards would be acceptable.

I have been told that the Australian National Maritime Safety Committee recognises UL1180 as being equivalent to Australian AS1512 - Type 1 PFD, but nowhere can I find this in writing.

Does anyone know if I am safe and legal to use this as a PFD I????

Hope someone can throw some light on this for me, as the documentation is clear as mud. :-[

Mike

Outsider1
21-08-2008, 07:44 AM
I think you are going to have to ring MSQ on that one Mike, but strongly suspect the answer is no.

I just read the 2006 Exemption document and it does not specifically mention UL1180 as a suitable alternative approval.

One of the Australian compliance requirements is;

"For a life jacket or personal flotation device to comply with a particular standard, certain information required under that standard must be displayed."

so for it to comply it must have a label stating it complies (with AS1512).

If it is not specifically mentioned on the exemption list, and does not have the complying label then I reckon it would be no go I am afraid.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Lifejackets_personal_flotation_devices/#markings

Ring MSQ to confirm, and also ask whether there is any way of getting it complied? Perhaps there is an organisation that is authorised to attach a compliance label?

Good luck.

Dave

Outsider1
21-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Hmmm,

I just did a little more research and might have found a glimmer of hope!?

Go to the National Marine Safety Committee website;

http://www.nmsc.gov.au/pfd.html#types

If you have a look at this document, on page 17 it mentions UL1180 as being a complying standard;

http://www.nmsc.gov.au/documents/rec_boat_safety_standard_web.pdf

Cheers

Dave

Outsider1
21-08-2008, 08:03 AM
I have attached a screen shot capture of the page (17) below with the particular sentence highlighted in red.

For those owning inflatable PFDs also note the last section highlighted in blue regarding annual servicing requirements. Some have mentioned the vague servicing requirements. This seems to be very specific that they must be serviced annually unless the manufacturer states otherwise!.

Cheers

Dave

quigley595
21-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks for that Outsider........
The wording still isn't clear as to whether UL1180 is compliant for a PFD I, and I suspect that the inspectors will simply see the PFD II label and do me, even though I bought it intentionally in preference to some of the cheaper ones.

I'm more interested in saving my life than sticking to the letter of the law. Then again, if I am pulled up, I could always drag out the $15 yellow bricks which wouldn't keep a budgie afloat, and claim that I'm covered.... They have a PFD I sticker on them!!!

The law can be as ass sometimes!

Taroona
21-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Hi Quigley,

A few years back I bought an inflatable for sailing which had all the relevant EN numbers on it. I spoke to MSQ and they said so long as there where complying PFD1's on board (those $15.00 yellow ones) my yacht would be legal. No body is going to fine you if they pull you out of the water wearing the jacket with the UL number on it.

The important thing to do is to make sure you get it certified each year if thats what's the manufacturer requires. The biggest failure on inflatables is the mechanisim to inflate them as they get rusty.

Les

trueblue
21-08-2008, 07:50 PM
if it says PFD 2 on it, its a PFD type 2.

you will get fined if stopped by the authorities.

cheers

Mick

trueblue
21-08-2008, 08:03 PM
I have attached a screen shot capture of the page (17) below with the particular sentence highlighted in red.

For those owning inflatable PFDs also note the last section highlighted in blue regarding annual servicing requirements. Some have mentioned the vague servicing requirements. This seems to be very specific that they must be serviced annually unless the manufacturer states otherwise!.

Cheers

Dave

UL 1180 is for inflatable type life jackets, and includes the requirements for both type 1 and type 2 inflatables...

In your screen shot where part 5 is highlighted, also look at line 1. where it talks about AS 1512 and AS 1499 - Australian standards for type 1 and type 2 life jackets respectively.

The document referenced is generic about 'life jackets' in general and is not specific about any particular type of rating.

cheers

Mick

trueblue
21-08-2008, 08:07 PM
The only way you can be absolutely sure in a case that is not clear due to there not being a specific cross reference of standards documented by MSQ - is to send the details to MSQ and get them to put in writing if your proposed overseas life jacket is acceptable or not.

Then carry a laminated printout of the email response in the boat with you.

(note your case above is quite clear as a type 2...)

cheers

Mick

bilby
21-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Hi,
I spoke to a boat licence testing rep. a while ago about this and he said as far as he knows, the life jacket / pfd must have the (AS 1512) lable on it or you could get a fine.
Hope you have some luck.
Fozzy

quigley595
22-08-2008, 10:39 AM
This whole area is pretty vague to me still.

Does anyone have an email contact for MSQ so that I can send the details to them???

There is no office where I live, and I cant see an email address on their website?

Mike

trueblue
22-08-2008, 12:11 PM
msqmail@msq.qld.gov.au (msqmail@msq.qld.gov.au)