PDA

View Full Version : Going fishing off Mackay

davez104
20-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Hi all,

Thinking about going for a day trip off Mackay tomorrow, but I've never fished the area. I was thinking about heading to St Bees or Keswick island. Anybody have any thoughts on the area or tips on fishing that area. Mainly looking for bottom fish.

Thanks,
Dave.

aqua rat
20-08-2008, 09:32 AM
There is a rock forget the name of it but its fair size south of st bees there is some good drop offs and reef around close to it. And dont go for a dip in channel between the islands as a local on the island says there is 15 tiger shark seen all the time going up and down this area

madman1
20-08-2008, 10:25 AM
I think you may mean eaither Singapore Rock or Hyde Rock. Aspatria Island is also a place I have been told is alright for a fish.

If the predicted northerlies come through tomorrow you wont have to go far for a feed of Mackeral just off the coast.

Good luck

Mark

Jumee
20-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Dave,

if the weather is good enough take a run out to Baileys Islet, the spanish mackeral are in good numbers around this area. See my post in saltwater reports Mackeral mayhem, this was fishing there 2 weekends ago.

Good luck,

Jamie

davez104
20-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks guys. The weather doesn't look too bad so we'll sneak over in the morning and have a look. I'll let you know how we go.

Dave.

davez104
22-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Well it was a bit of an anti climax. A reoccuring overheating problem reared it's ugly head again, so we decided not to venture out. Back to the drawing board to try and find the problem. I've investigated a couple of possibilities, but won't know if I've done any good intill I get it in the water again. Maybe over the weekend if I feel up to it.

Dave.

krazyfisher
22-08-2008, 06:42 PM
shame it was flat this arvo at the harbour

davez104
22-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Yeah, reckon it would have been, the forecast was a cracker, not so good for the rest of the weekend.

Dave.