PDA

View Full Version : Urgent fishermen help needed for baby whale Sydney

Blackjenny
20-08-2008, 08:15 AM
On the Today show this Wednesday morning, just now 8.00am, they are asking for any fishermen, who may be offshore near Sydney and I presume a little wider, to contact them immediately if they are near to a pod of whales. They would like the location etc. to attempt to have them adopt the lost baby whale named Colin.

Is your hubby/mate out fishing? Can you contact him by phone or radio and ask him to look out for whales?

Please if you can help, contact the Today Show 02 9958 2899 or the National Parks and Wildlife Service. Head Office: 02 9995 5000

Let's do our best to save this baby whale lost in Pittwater, trying to find milk from a small yacht. The poor thing. It is now life or death for him.

JIMBO99
20-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi Jenny,
This baby whale has attatched itself to a white yacht and should follow it so why don't they sail slowly out through the heads with it and perhaps it will pick up the whales by itself through sounds. Probably better to sail than motor as the engine vibration may interfere with the whale interaction.
Jimbo99

Benno1
20-08-2008, 10:48 AM
not a bad idea Jimbo...but wouldnt the wee one be "imprinted" on the white yacht???...get out in the deep blue...find a pod of whales...stay for a while...turn to leave and have the baby follow the craft back in???...do whales even adopt orphans???

(Mrs Benno1)

black_sheep
20-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Sorry Blackjenny, based in Brisbane but I applaude your proactiveness - well done.

Blackjenny
20-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Hi Jimbo, Mrs Benno and black_sheep. Thanks for your input. As far as I know they are trying to contact overseas experts for information on what to do about poor Colin, the baby humpback.

Apparently they don't really know the makeup of humpback whale milk, and don't want to give him the wrong formula from a bottle even if he would take it. I just hope, like thousands of other people, that they act before it's too late. :-[

It was suggested that seeing how the Japanese have done so much 'research' into whales, that they should be able to provide the info needed. Yea right. :-X

Benno1
20-08-2008, 03:33 PM
i hate to say it but the poor thing may die...they need between 50 and 100litres of milk PER DAY at that age to help with growth spurts and to give them strength...if they dont find either the calfs mother or a viable solution...RIP Colin...sad but true...

i recon the only help the Japanese whaling *ahem* research community would be able to provide is a shmicko sushi recipe..."Colin ala wasabi" :(

(Mrs Benno1)

the gecko
20-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Its mother most likely rejected it cos it is sick...any other whale might do the same. I hate to say it, but it doesnt look good for Colin. I cant see another whale adopting it. Where are we gonna get 100lts of whale milk per day to feed it? Dr Karl wants to give it a go, good on him, but whos in charge of the activities? Harbours and Marine, so its their call.

How do we do a blood test and find out whats wrong with it? How do we treat the sickness?

They did get a yacht outside yesterday, and the whale followed the yacht out, but came back inside the heads overnight.

Theres many species where the mother rejects the young. Its time our parents explained this to kids.

honda900
20-08-2008, 04:00 PM
I think yesterday they had already tried to get it to follow the yatcht, which it did for a while then turned back into the harbour.

Apparrently the calf may have confused the yatcht for its mother and thats how it may have been separated in the first place.

Not looking good for it though..

Regards
HOnda

FNQCairns
20-08-2008, 04:12 PM
I was wondering why the Yacht was not towed 2km out to seah and anchored. I am a little surprised the sharks have not had a go at it already.
Nature is as nature does, good human interest story though, possibly on the quiet the authority knows the sensible score and is not going to waste resources on the whale - same reasoning if it was a baby bovine??

cheers fnq

cheers fnq

2manylures
20-08-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm actually very surprised that the powers to be haven't tried to FEED it.

Last I heard "Youth-In-Asia" was being discussed {not the olympics}. Why not give the little blighter some tucker, or is that too easy?

TimiBoy
21-08-2008, 06:29 AM
possibly on the quiet the authority knows the sensible score and is not going to waste resources on the whale.

I'd say that's on the money.

But they have had success feeding a baby whale in California - don't remember where I read it, and don't know how long it survived. And, while it is "just an animal" I think it's for the greater good to try - people need this stuff, it gives them hope!

Cheers,

Tim

baitwaster
21-08-2008, 06:39 AM
I reckon that that whale is dead meat with no mother, so they might as well give it a gutful of milk and see what happens. Worst that could happen is the most likely end result if nothing is done anyhow. Perhaps the boffins may learn something new? Most other mammal type critters get along with cow's milk alright, and it is a mammal after all.

Blackjenny
21-08-2008, 07:18 AM
It will ultimately be up to the experts to decide upon Colin's fate. There are so many opinions flying about I hope Colin doesn't choke on red tape.

I am in the camp that believes it is worth a try to feed him some milk from a teat like the Pittwater man, John Fairfax, has thoughtfully created. If that and all other attempts fail and the whale is in pain, then of course euthanasia is indicated. But let's have a go first!

Anyway, back to the original post, let the authorities know if you locate a pod of whales in the region of Sydney and wider whilst you are out fishing.

Today they are talking about bringing in the Armed Forces to tow him out to sea, where he may be picked up ... or he may not. :-[

boatboy50
21-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Guys,

I heard there were people swimming with it and it's mother offshore off Bondi over the weekend.

The mum got spooked by the people and did a runner. The bub had no idea what was going on.

Sad story, and the people should be prosecuted if it is true. We can't eve get our boats within 200 metres, how could they get so close to swim with them.

Regards

Darren

garman1
21-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Don't want to be mean to Colin but this may be an opportunity to exchange scientific research (cough) which has been done by the Japanese for centuries. Surely worldwide leaders could all come together and ask the Japanese research team...... what is making Colin crook???

Or

This could be an opportunity to invite the whale research team over for a bbq lunch ? and exchange scientific research first hand. I can see it now...... There is Kev in a suit with a coldy, chatting about world events etc. nothing to indepth of course, it is a bbq afterall.

Kev asks ok where is lunch, I'm starved, I can eat a horse and chase the jockey.
what no snags, ya gotta be kidding me? ok ok then bring on Colin I guess. Now guys do you wasabi with him or on the side. The salad is over there. Now it's Kevs big chance to keep the luncheon light hearted with conversation about the footy etc or what is tastier rump or flipper?.......................................... ............

Bugger, Colin was going to bridge the cultural gap between all of us and the research team, no wonder Ramsay is in the kitchen going off his head.....bollocks................. er how does the rest of it go..............

cheers Garry

garman1
21-08-2008, 09:04 AM
I am sorry for the last post, I wanted to add that all the names and places are purely fictitious and that no animals were harmed during the writing of the story. Any similarity to any real events is purely circumstantial and the writer denies any knowledge of the whale team and/or how Ramsey cooks whale...................... !!!!!

Mind you I still think there may be wasabi on the side to add some extra flavour.

The post was written purely in the name of research purposes only (cough)

Anyone got a toothpick, I got a peice of whale flipper stuck in between the keys on the keyboard.........aha my research has gained some info already..

1 Don't eat whale flipper while trying to type, I could pass that info on to the research team.................................!

cheers Garry

Dirtysanchez
21-08-2008, 09:11 AM
WHat have you been smoking Garry ?

jimbo59
21-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Is this the ultimate way kevin rudd can redeem himself; don a wetsuit and go where no man has gone before to breast pump giant whale's milk to feed baby colin. He would be a hero in my eyes, and of the people of australia:angel:

coucho
21-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Hate to say it but its nature people don't cry when a lion eats a Zebra or when you live bait a yakka.
Who knows what trying to get another mother to adopt Colin might do to her own calf? I am sure feeding a baby whale would be pretty demanding on a mother to look after two for a summer would surely leave her own calf worse off and her totally drained so by saving one calf you could in all reality be sentencing three whales to death. Its Nature and its sad but what can you do

goldfish
21-08-2008, 11:28 AM
if this calf is desiesed & then re-released back into a pod it may spred that infection on to the others wipeing out who knows how many whales. but yes i don't think we can just sit back & watch it die either. & i don't want to be the one to euthanatize it. yeah its all too hard for this little black duck. but hopefully the experts make the right desecion what ever that is.

1lastcast
21-08-2008, 02:32 PM
What a shame steve irwin passed on im sure that little black duck would have had the knowledge or the contacts to help this poor little fella out of a jam .

or at least would have give it 100% effort.

i have my fingers crossed for colin !!!

Oh and Gary get back to the funny farm before they find out your missing ;D

Benno1
21-08-2008, 06:26 PM
i just heard on the news that Colin is to be euthanaised tonight...shame...

Mrs Benno1

FNQCairns
21-08-2008, 06:40 PM
i just heard on the news that Colin is to be euthanaised tonight...shame...

Mrs Benno1

Yeah just saw it too, good it's the right decision, crikey didn't the fruitcakes come out of the wood work, one bloke is going on a hunger strike and another was singing something daft at it -who let him get close enough for a touch??... no harm in it but side show alley bizarre!

cheers fnq

Blackjenny
21-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi Mrs Benno

What an awful exercise in frustration for the people who at least wanted to try to feed him. I just ended up yelling at the experts on TV tonight for taking SO long to involve people in the know.:veryangry:

Of course, he must not be allowed to suffer. Very sad.

flybloke
21-08-2008, 07:22 PM
I wonder what they will use to put it down? Rotenone?, 30-06, Needle, A Picture of Mimy McPherson::)
I wonder if they will make Pittwater a Marine Park in memory of Baby Colin.
Sounds good to me;D

choppa
21-08-2008, 08:41 PM

Captain Seaweed
21-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Call me crazy but is a bullet through the head really better??Who knows whats on the other side...what if there is...............................nothing?
Marty

Blackened
21-08-2008, 09:09 PM
G'day

No comment realy, other than they should have taken it out to sea, if only by sling.

What do you do with a fresh whale carcass in the harbor anyway? Wouldn't they just tow it out to sea and dump it?

Dave

FNQCairns
21-08-2008, 09:19 PM
They will probably crane it into a truck and do a dissection/autopsy in an attempt to add the the sum of human knowledge, whatever that would mean in this instance.

cheers fnq

Blackjenny
21-08-2008, 09:31 PM
I wonder what they will use to put it down? Rotenone?, 30-06, Needle, A Picture of Mimy McPherson::)
I wonder if they will make Pittwater a Marine Park in memory of Baby Colin.
Sounds good to me;D

flybloke, your sarcasm becomes you

God bless.

finding_time
21-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Yeah just saw it too, good it's the right decision, crikey didn't the fruitcakes come out of the wood work, one bloke is going on a hunger strike and another was singing something daft at it -who let him get close enough for a touch??... no harm in it but side show alley bizarre!

cheers fnq

Spot on fnq!

I just supprised they let the poor thing fret for so much time before going through with the BIG injection! Nature is a tough master and putting the beast down humanely is the best we can do, if they leave it any longer the sharks will be into it and they wont care if it's still alive!

Ian

Xahn1960
22-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Well this whole story says heaps about our Greenies and other "Save our world" groups !!! All the technology, skills and resources needed to sneak up and vandalise comercial shipping but no ability to save 1 baby whale !
2008 and what do we know about the creatures we share our planet with?? very little it seems.....

reddybayfisher
22-08-2008, 11:17 AM
It's a shame when something like this comes down to politics.....

Dirtysanchez
22-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Politics ?

Not sure what you mean, it's a simple issue of what do you do with something like that ? you can't feed it cows milk or S26 formula for new borns, and not long after they suckle they need Krill which isn't something we have in abundance

I feel great saddness like most that a beautiful creature of the sea has suffered and had to be put down, but practicality has to prevail, we all complain about taxes and the cost of living etc.. To look after this poor bugger would have cost a fortune, and was logisitcally near impossible..

reddybayfisher
22-08-2008, 04:58 PM
I mean politics between different groups about what should be done.....have been done.....

The practicality of raising a whale is not reasonable / economical - but has been done.....it comes down to what the priority is : $$$$ versus a decision to give life to a whale....

Dug
22-08-2008, 05:00 PM
From the ABC today

Dead whale could be abandoned calf's mother

Posted 2 hours 11 minutes ago
Updated 2 hours 3 minutes ago

Authorities will carry out an autopsy on the carcass of the baby whale. (AAP)

Related Story: Abandoned whale calf put down
Wildlife workers believe they may have found the mother of the baby humpback which was euthanased in Sydney's north this morning.

A whale carcass was found off the New South Wales far south coast today.

The baby humpback was unable to feed after being abandoned by its mother and was trying to suckle on yachts in the Pittwater Basin this week.

Scientists and wildlife officials were unable to find a way of feeding or saving the calf and it was put down this morning in order to end its suffering.

Wildlife workers say they plan to carry out DNA testing on the other whale to see if it could be the calf's mother.

Authorities will also carry out an autopsy on the carcass of the baby whale.

RSPCA spokesman Steve Colman says he hopes an autopsy can determine if and why the young whale was abandoned.

"We always autopsy an animal like this - the last one we autopsied had meningitis, so look it's possible," he said.

"There is a biological reason why the mother whale abandoned it, but we've tried the best we could since day one to do the best we could for the whale."

This morning the National Parks and Wildlife Service used ropes to bring the whale ashore before giving it a fatal dose of anaesthetic, despite vocal protests from some onlookers.

Wildlife workers say the whale's death was peaceful, but some onlookers have raised concerns over the way the killing was carried out.

Meanwhile, a Hervey Bay-based whale researcher says the decision by New South Wales Parks and Wildlife to put down whale calf was the right one.

Oceania Project's Wally Franklin says the calf's chance of survival off Sydney's northern beaches was extremely slim.

He says the calf was born earlier than usual which means the chance of him being separated from his mother was heightened.

"Normally the births take place up in the sheltered warm waters in the Great Barrier Reef and the calves have time to develop and gain some confidence and experience before they start their journey south," he said.

"For any calf that's born during the migration - and we know that occurs - the risks are very much higher."

Lots of animals die, It was born way to early and was probably in the harbour to try to stop sharks or Orcas from eating it. It;s chances of survival were pretty close to nil anyway putting it down was the kindest thing to do.

Conservation is about making sure the species survive not individual animals.

Worrying about a single baby whale is pure emotional conservation not good science.

tunaticer
22-08-2008, 05:12 PM
I can't believe the millions of dollars that has been pocketed by the media in the 6 days this calf has been around. The entire nation and half of the world has become emotionally attached to the calf and its futile story.
This is wildlife and in the wild there is no mercy, compassion or intervention for the plight of any orphan of any species. It will always come down to being food for some other animal somewhere.

You can attach emotion to wildlife and its environment or situation. Nature will take its course regardless of our thoughts or feelings.

Putting it down was simply merciful to calm our hearts, nature would have been more cruel.

Jack.

breamnut
22-08-2008, 05:31 PM
spot on there!!

PinHead
22-08-2008, 05:39 PM
one baby whale and all the lunatics come out...hundreds of thousands of baby humans on the planet needing some fresh water and a feed ..where are these lunatics then. Sad world alright.

breamnut
22-08-2008, 06:00 PM
haha people adopt monkeys insted of kids? and cloth them give them a bed there are some wierd people out there.
personally a persons life comes before any other living thing (most people anyways;D)
oh and the whales name was collet not collen they changed it!

disorderly
22-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Obviously Sydney does not have enough Green Zones....

Maybe GBRMPA should get involved ....surely they could have saved the whale.

BigE
22-08-2008, 06:52 PM
would not like to be the "Media Liason Officer " on this one , he or she is gonna get cruisified either way you need to be good to "spin" your way out of this one.

BigE

Blackjenny
22-08-2008, 07:03 PM
one baby whale and all the lunatics come out...hundreds of thousands of baby humans on the planet needing some fresh water and a feed ..where are these lunatics then. Sad world alright.

Yes PinHead, it's sad but true. I have personally been affected by the plight of humans in Africa and have worked very hard as an individual to make a difference in my own small way. I have visited Eastern and Southern Africa twice to this end at my own expense.

(My avatar picture is of a fishing boat on the coast of Kenya at Watamu, north of Mombasa. Off track, but some died there in the Asian tsunami of Dec 2004, just weeks after my daughter and I left. Horribly, many fishing boats such as they are, were destroyed leaving humble people with no means of earning an income. :-[ We never hear about these things do we? )

Unless we experience the tragedy on a personal level, I don't believe it really hits home just how bad things can get. I used to think the images on TV of people in dire need were of the worst case scenario's, until I saw for myself that things are actually much worse than what is portrayed.

Charities have to really put the horror 'in our faces' so to speak, in order to raise funds for those basics like water as you mentioned. And then they are criticised for spending some of that money on administration. What gives? I am not attached to any charity or church body, but I know without organisations like CARE, World Vision, Unicef etc. things would be even worse.

Still, the little whale story touched many people and that is OK too. He was in our own backyard and therefore at the forefront of our attention. At least we still have hearts and can be affected enough to move us to try to do something. That we haven't hardened so much that we look at everything in terms of economics and pragmatism, gives me hope for humanity.

PS The lunatics can do as they please, after all they are lunatics.

Jeremy87
22-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Had a lecture from a humpback expert today. He said if it had been found anywhere else it would have been euthanased almost immediately in accordance to animal ethics. He said most of the time when you see orphan humpbacks taken out to sea they die anyway, as mothers will not adopt other calves. Also the notion of comparing a grey whale with a humpback was poorly based due to the much larger migration route of humpbacks and even if it had managed to be raised on artificial milk would probably died as an adult. Humpback whale populations are increasing at a rate of 11% a year and as the population grows we can only expect more of these events to occur. Lets hope in future stranded calves can be treated ethically and not have their unavoidable death prolonged by media and political driven sensationalism.

trueblue
23-08-2008, 03:42 PM
they should have just taken it out to sea in the beginning and put it down and given it to the sharks a long way offshore away from the prying camera eyes etc.

would have been better for everybody. don't mean to sound harsh, but it never had a chance so the wait should never have been prolonged and the media should never have gotten so involved.

Reel Nauti
23-08-2008, 08:47 PM
I find it to be absolutely amazing to hear that all of experts, all of the analysis, all of the searching and consideration for a solution, and they couldn't even get the sex right until after the death.

RIP Colette

Dave

Blackened
23-08-2008, 10:21 PM
G'day

Another note about this, Have a good friend who lives in edson, alberta in canada... has been all over the news there too.

News sure does travel wide and fast

Dave

2manylures
23-08-2008, 10:34 PM
It appears that Kevin 07 has little Colin on ice & is trying to do a deal with the Japanese to recoup some lost expenditure.;)