PDA

View Full Version : An Absolute Waste

madman1
19-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi all,

Thought I would share what I saw this morning.

Not too sure of what it is maybe a jew of some description.

It is a common thing up here in Mackay and probably other Central Queensland coastal localities. But the fish are 9.9 times out of 10 filleted.

This is just pure waste. If you're not going to eat it and want to show off, take a photo and hang it on the wall not on a street sign.

Cheers

Mark

Pete62
19-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Madness................. won't the greenies love that.

Benno1
19-08-2008, 02:32 PM
what joy could someone possibly get out of doing that...sh*%heads...just makes you wonder about some ppl doesnt it...

(Mrs Benno1)

dogsbody
19-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Sure is a waste if someone caught it. Perhaps they found it dead somewhere and hung it up.

But we shouldn't be so quick to assume unless somebody saw them catch it.

Dave.

mookyandlumpy
19-08-2008, 02:38 PM
i have seen it done befor , but the fillets taken off already

Local_Guy
19-08-2008, 03:37 PM
maybe they are making a form of fish jerkey, or drying out their fish for longetivity.

baitwaster
19-08-2008, 04:04 PM
I have been chasing Jewies with no success for months now, it just kills me seeing stuff like that. Wasteful buggers.

peterbo3
19-08-2008, 04:36 PM
I lived at Campwin Beach for nearly two years & hanging frames from street signs was very popular. But I never saw a complete fish. Very strange.

ronnien
19-08-2008, 05:40 PM
what a waste! seen it many times before at groper creek with 100kg+ qld gropers in the mid 70's hanging from every 10th tree or so on the track heading into groper creek. could never understand it ?

ron.

Wahoo
19-08-2008, 05:45 PM
maybe the fisho lost it, and some stranger found it and hung it up for him, if he comes back looking for it, if your reading this stranger ......good on ya mate, you have done a good deed...........

fleety77
19-08-2008, 05:52 PM
thats not on, dont care bout the story behind it, theres no need for that, people need to have some respect for the fish, themselves, and the local community imagine driving your kids to school past that........

Cammy
19-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Not a sight i would like to see around my neibourhood.

Cam

Gagga08
19-08-2008, 06:23 PM
MAybe we should be hanging up the blokes who did this to the local street signs...see how they like it!

nigelr
19-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Make a good worm burley..........

bdowdy
19-08-2008, 06:34 PM
MAybe we should be hanging up the blokes who did this to the local street signs...see how they like it!
i AGREE TOTALLY::)

fleety77
19-08-2008, 06:36 PM
i AGREE TOTALLY::)

me too hang em!!

BAT
19-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Where else but Queensland.

Cheer's BAT.

kingfish101
19-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Sure is a waste if someone caught it. Perhaps they found it dead somewhere and hung it up.

But we shouldn't be so quick to assume unless somebody saw them catch it.

Dave.

Lol. You did it.

spears
19-08-2008, 09:36 PM
I was wondering what happened to my fish that was left on the fore deck of the boat when leaving the ramp.

Kendall249
19-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Even if was found dead, at least leave it there for the carbs to fatten up on.

BobbyJ123
20-08-2008, 05:14 AM
A while ago, in Glenella, there was a 450 lb groper left in one of the streets. Not sure if a small fillet had been removed. It was mentioned in the Daily Mercury. Some morons around....

NAGG
20-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Redneck behavior ...... nothing else :cowboy: :rifle:

A fish like that would have fed a family for a week !

Nagg

NAGG
20-08-2008, 08:11 AM

I was going to say "By the testicles":-/ But they probably dont have any!

Nagg

Murks
20-08-2008, 05:29 PM
I would doubt this would be displayed like this if someone actually caught it..I rekon it was found by someone already dead, The person has obviously no brains and little respect for the fish or the environment, to display in thois manner is just mindlessly stupid......... but I just couldn't see a fisho doing this with such a great specimen IMO
Brett

Big Shaun
20-08-2008, 06:40 PM
I would doubt this would be displayed like this if someone actually caught it..I rekon it was found by someone already dead, The person has obviously no brains and little respect for the fish or the environment, to display in thois manner is just mindlessly stupid......... but I just couldn't see a fisho doing this with such a great specimen IMO
Brett

Agree. Unfortunately I doubt the greenies or DPI would recognise that fisho's have more respect for sports fishing. I think most fisho's conduct them business in a professional manner. This sort of behaviour just throws more wood on the fire for us humble anglers.

Jabba_
20-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Get over it fellas. It is a Proserpine tradition to hang the fish carcass from the street signs.... Fish Carcass's are hanging everywhere in that town, and most off the time there Barramundi.....

Incase you don't know, Proserpine is a town 1hr north west of Mackay....

Bob H
20-08-2008, 07:13 PM
no worse than mullet throwing contests i suppose,just different species,if it was a mullet no one would have said boo,but a jewie, all up in arms, cant imagine a fisherman doing this,maybe found dead somewhere....................bob

ffejsmada
20-08-2008, 07:29 PM
So madman, did you cut it down off the sign????

If it offended you that much I would think that would be the thing to do..................cut it down.:-/

Barraboy7
20-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Amazing stuff here, "redneck" response Nagg, hang em by the balls eh? Your all ready to become a Queenslander I say. Or were you just being funny? Everynow and then this site turns into a posse style lynch mob. A while back it was over flannel shirts...burnin frogs, at least now its over a fish LOL.
Lighten up. Its a dead fish. Years ago it was popular to hand the heads of big Cod on the fence post as well.
I agree, people shouldnt do that, it is a waste, but we dont have to go loopy over it.
Barraboy7

Reel Nauti
20-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Some people here need to get over the 'Green' crap they've been feeding on or been fed for far too long. I have caught jewies, yes that size, and I too have hung them up for the world to see. Not really to brag but to show others what might be around. Also, for you who are so so quick to criticise, you would know that sometimes jew can be full of worms. There's no way of telling if you just fillet. Jewies I have hung have had the guts examined, found to be full of worms, and hung. This one mightn't be any different.

Cheers

Dave

ifishcq1
20-08-2008, 08:35 PM
it is a black jew boys and as black jew go that isn't anywhere near big

although this is whole it is a long standing tradition in CQ and NQ to hang a big frame or fish on a local street sign mostly on country signs where no one is bothered by the smell

reasons can be anything from a brag board to crab bait so they wouldn't forget it in the morning on the way to the ramp

or as pig bait, why chase pigs when they will come to you.

I don't do it myself and we only ever take one for the decky with 5 kids

we get sick of catching and putting them back
sometimes they are like flys so we change target species

Get over it, if that is the worst thing you see then you live in a bubble

SL

liltuffy
20-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Are you sure it's a real fish, kind of looks very artificial to me, or maybe it's just been hanging up for too long

NAGG
20-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Brett

Its a reasonably common practice to do it to barra up North:( ...... I've seen 3 or 4 during trips over the years:(

Nagg

NAGG
20-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Some people here need to get over the 'Green' crap they've been feeding on or been fed for far too long. I have caught jewies, yes that size, and I too have hung them up for the world to see. Not really to brag but to show others what might be around. Also, for you who are so so quick to criticise, you would know that sometimes jew can be full of worms. There's no way of telling if you just fillet. Jewies I have hung have had the guts examined, found to be full of worms, and hung. This one mightn't be any different.

Cheers

Dave

Well dont f_c_ing kill them ...... you wally !
What a load crock & what an imbecilic excuse is that>:(

I've caught Red bass that might contain Ciguateria ....... but I didn't kill them!

If you dont know about the quality ........ don't kill them! If you catch a kingfish in Qld & it may be infested with worms - - Dont kill it !!!! ...................... Enjoy the sport & let it go!

Nagg

NAGG
20-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Amazing stuff here, "redneck" response Nagg, hang em by the balls eh? Your all ready to become a Queenslander I say. Or were you just being funny? Everynow and then this site turns into a posse style lynch mob. A while back it was over flannel shirts...burnin frogs, at least now its over a fish LOL.
Lighten up. Its a dead fish. Years ago it was popular to hand the heads of big Cod on the fence post as well.
I agree, people shouldnt do that, it is a waste, but we dont have to go loopy over it.
Barraboy7

Yes Barraboy ...... Amazing that some dick gets their jollies hanging a nice fish like that from a street sign:( Its a pointless act!!!! ..... You can be a hero if you caught it! ...... but take a photo & let it go ..... if you wont eat it!
Past practices ......... thank god they are in the past .............................. I hope I never see a photo like Zane Grey during the 1930s with 15 dead marlin hung up from the gantry >:(
It's not a case of going loopy ....... more like being a little more thoughtful:)

Nagg:)

NAGG
20-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Get over it fellas. It is a Proserpine tradition to hang the fish carcass from the street signs.... Fish Carcass's are hanging everywhere in that town, and most off the time there Barramundi.....

Incase you don't know, Proserpine is a town 1hr north west of Mackay....

Tradition or not ...... It is a waste !
......... some traditions are better forgotten !

Nagg

2manylures
20-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Well dont f_c_ing kill them ...... you wally !
What a load crock & what an imbecilic excuse is that>:(

I've caught Red bass that might contain Ciguateria ....... but I didn't kill them!

If you dont know about the quality ........ don't kill them! If you catch a kingfish in Qld & it may be infested with worms - - Dont kill it !!!! ...................... Enjoy the sport & let it go!

Nagg

DON'T GET OFF YA BIKE NAGG, I'll pick ya bloody pump up.;)

Honestly if a dead fish hanging on a sign post is the best or worst you people have to worry & bitch about then you all need to have a good hard look at reality & what's going on in this world.

I personally don't kill any fish including carp but I don't carry on like a pork chop about it when someone else does.

If it was on the ground in long grass you wouldn't say bugger all but because it's hanging on a sign post ............ HELL

They did the same with humans in Afganastan not too long ago but I didn't see any goody two shoes bitching about that practise.

NAGG
20-08-2008, 10:47 PM
DON'T GET OFF YA BIKE NAGG, I'll pick ya bloody pump up.;)

Honestly if a dead fish hanging on a sign post is the best or worst you people have to worry & bitch about then you all need to have a good hard look at reality & what's going on in this world.

I personally don't kill any fish including carp but I don't carry on like a pork chop about it when someone else does.

If it was on the ground in long grass you wouldn't say bugger all but because it's hanging on a sign post ............ HELL

They did the same with humans in Afganastan not too long ago but I didn't see any goody two shoes bitching about that practise.

I hope you make good use of that pump ..... It has nothing to do with any other topic! ...... this is about the pass time that I love!
If I saw someone doing it down my way ........ I'd give it to them!
We cant change the world completely ...... but we can yell out when it affects our little patch

Now ..... Please tell us all what good comes out of hanging a fish off a street post ....... I'm curious

Nagg

2manylures
20-08-2008, 10:58 PM
I hope you make good use of that pump ..... It has nothing to do with any other topic! ...... this is about the pass time that I love!
If I saw someone doing it down my way ........ I'd give it to them!
We cant change the world completely ...... but we can yell out when it affects our little patch

Now ..... Please tell us all what good comes out of hanging a fish off a street post ....... I'm curious

Nagg

I really don't care.

It isn't worth blowing a fuse over!

I GOT CRABS
20-08-2008, 11:21 PM
It was probably the same guy that left 40 fish frames at the Eimeo boat ramp.
I dont see a problem in hanging fish frames from signs as long as its not near houses, and that street sign is not right next to houses. I think it is a waist to hang a whole fish though but maybe the fish was found dead. You get used to seeing frames hanging from signs in the mackay and whitsunday area. I wish I had a $1 for every barra frame Iv seen hanging around conway beach.
Personally I keep the frames for crab pot bait.

Kendall249
20-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Personally I keep the frames for crab pot bait.

If I found such a fish I would leave it where I found it, It would at least go back into the systems and fatten up the local crabs. If I caught it it would of been filleted and the frame kept for crab pot bait. There's alot of crab pot bait there. In the event that the fish was no good for consuption then I would use the lot as crab pot bait. Waste not want not!.

Barraboy7
21-08-2008, 07:28 AM
More Redneck lingo from Nagg.
Amazing stuff, different isnt wrong mate.
Barraboy7

fisho_83
21-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Hey Madman,

I travel past there almost everyday. About 6 months ago, around the corner a bit, there was a whole barra (unfilitted) up on a street sign, since then a fillited mackeral and another barra have been added to the sign. Maybe not the first time for the offending person !:(

2manylures
21-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Hey Madman,

I travel past there almost everyday. Maybe not the first time for the offending person !:(

Mere Supposition!

madman1
21-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Hey Fisho_83,

I saw them too.

I think it gives the area a bit of character seeing good sized FILLETED fish hanging off street signs.

I just thought this was completely wasteful.

For those that thought someone may have found it at the ramp and decided to hang it up. Mate who could be bothered hauling a fish like that not knowing how old it is or how bad it smells.

Maybe I'm a bit jealous cause I haven't caught a good fish like that up here yet.

Let it be known when I do, they will be strung up also. But they will be filletted.

Cheers

Mark.

Whose keen for the Mackay Meet and Greet. Hopefully we can get some goodies to hang up to show off!!!

disorderly
21-08-2008, 07:23 PM
I have also witnessed the proud QLD tradition of ......"The Hanging of the Fish"....

and although as a former New south Welshmen who has spent half his life in this great northern state.....I really have no opinion either way on the subject....my only question is ...

WHY?????....

Whether it's like a smalltown version of Spain's ..."The Running of The Bull's...

or perhaps South Korea's version of..."The Eating of the Dog"...

I'll probably die wondering....but I really don't quite get any of these strange "traditions"....:-/:-/:-/:-/.

After 20 years here I have also given up trying to figure out the QLD psyche..;);D..I'm just content in my assessment that they are indeed a rather strange breed.::)

Blackened
21-08-2008, 07:41 PM
G'day

Are they more prolific in late december with colored led's to act as christmas decorations?

Dave

Reel Nauti
21-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Nagg, if you can tell a fish is full of worms just by looking at it while it's alive you're extraordinary!

They're good eating, but sometimes you get them full of worms. Unfortunately, you don't know until you cut the stomach cavity and look, you bloody 'Wally'.

Dave

SummerTrance
21-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Im glad that practice doesnt occur anywhere near where I live. Bloody disgusting IMO!

mik01
21-08-2008, 11:41 PM
I have also witnessed the proud QLD tradition of ......"The Hanging of the Fish"....

and although as a former New south Welshmen who has spent half his life in this great northern state.....I really have no opinion either way on the subject....my only question is ...

WHY?????....

Whether it's like a smalltown version of Spain's ..."The Running of The Bull's...

or perhaps South Korea's version of..."The Eating of the Dog"...

I'll probably die wondering....but I really don't quite get any of these strange "traditions"....:-/:-/:-/:-/.

After 20 years here I have also given up trying to figure out the QLD psyche..;);D..I'm just content in my assessment that they are indeed a rather strange breed.::)

don't tar all Qlders with that brush! we're not all freaks who hang up dead animals in the street

seriously - WTF????

speaking of redneck though- it doesn't get any redder than hanging a dead fish off a street sign - filleted or not.

I guess you guys also hang up roadkill too?

disorderly
22-08-2008, 07:36 AM
don't tar all Qlders with that brush! we're not all freaks who hang up dead animals in the street

seriously - WTF????

speaking of redneck though- it doesn't get any redder than hanging a dead fish off a street sign - filleted or not.

I guess you guys also hang up roadkill too?

lol....Hi Mik...guess I forgot to mention that some QLD'ers can be a gullible lot as well...;);D...

Fish'n Junky
22-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Maybe it's just a plain case of the fish simply having enough and ending it all..
Apparently the suicide rate of fish in QLD has risen 6.5% since Kevvy Rudd took the reigns... It's really all John Howards fault isn't it??

Hot_Snappa
22-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Geez...4 pages of rubbish! Is the weather bad guys, if not go fishing, sounds like you've all got nothing better to do!

abbot_86
23-08-2008, 01:15 PM
bloody bush wackers

matt__hill
23-08-2008, 07:03 PM
haha typical ausfish banter

BR65
24-08-2008, 06:43 AM
waste of a fish, and only a simpleton would hang a fish or frame off a street sign, tradition or not, Im pretty sure theres these new fangled things called cameras now days that allow you to take a keepsake rather than hanging a stinking carcass off the side of the road for all to "admire"

NAGG
24-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Geez...4 pages of rubbish! Is the weather bad guys, if not go fishing, sounds like you've all got nothing better to do!

We've got nothing better to do::)

Hot_Snappa
24-08-2008, 06:01 PM
We've got nothing better to do::)

Whats that you say NAGG? .............I've just returned from a successful fishing trip! Sure beats bashing the keyboard I reckon! :)

NAGG
25-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Whats that you say NAGG? .............I've just returned from a successful fishing trip! Sure beats bashing the keyboard I reckon! :)

Too right ....... I really should fish more! - Once a week is definitely not enough:P
......:)

Nagg

Shagga
25-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Can someone explain to me why people hang the fish frames from road signs? I have seen it when I travel up north but I don't see the point of it.

BR65
25-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Can someone explain to me why people hang the fish frames from road signs? I have seen it when I travel up north but I don't see the point of it.

Over to the traditionalists

NAGG
25-08-2008, 08:44 PM

& why they are at it ....... why runners are tied together & thrown over power lines:-/

Chong
25-08-2008, 09:27 PM

2many,
i think carp are a declared pest and its illegal to return them to a Queensland water way once caught.
Cheers

disorderly
26-08-2008, 06:33 AM

Up here in the north country it's pretty easy to pick those with a propensity to participate in "the hanging of the fish" ritual....

Why,I just met some the other day....

To characterize such chaps...,well....,they were distinguishable by the odd way they added "eh" to end of each sentence....a can of bundy and coke was in their possession at all times.....,one of them kept referring to wife as "cuz" for some reason....banjo was their music of choice and I even heard them chuckle and mumble something that sounded like..."squeal like a pig,boy...."

Well,suffice to say I didn't hang around to witness the "hanging of the fish and I didn't want to squeal like pig either,so I quickly walked away..(backwards)...::);D

Little grey men
26-08-2008, 09:16 AM
& why they are at it ....... why runners are tied together & thrown over power lines:-/

I must say that one has me well and truly stumped. My little boy asked me about that one the other day after seeing a pair of sneakers swinging high above us. I'm having difficulty explaining too him that idiots are allowed to procreate just like everyone else.
He's picking it all up fairly quickly though....someone driving way too fast through the carpark at the shopping centre, " He's an idiot Dad " yes son, yes he is.
Large ladies standing in a clump chatting about nothing in particular while everone else has to walk around their massive frames on the path at his school..."They're idiots Dad...yes son, yes they are.

Nic
26-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Large ladies standing in a clump chatting about nothing in particular while everone else has to walk around their massive frames on the path at his school..."They're idiots Dad...yes son, yes they are.

Haha, very good! ;D

I don't blame Nagg for getting a little worked up over this issue; hanging fish frames up is a pretty ugly habit, almost like a form of grafitti. 'Dazza was 'ere and he got this jew...'

If the straw-chewers get some sort of buzz over it though, they're welcome to it. It doesn't seem to do any harm except to look ugly and weird. I'll stick to taking photos, myself, and try to leave the environment the way I found it.

JIMBO99
26-08-2008, 10:57 AM
JIMBO99
There you go, I once skippered a Game boat off Lizard 1980--85 and a beautiful young lady weighing 57 kg stopped a horse of a black marlin that was hung and weighed in at 1008pounds, she was so stunned by the five hour fight that she and her husband sent the whole fish to a Cairns taxidermist and had the whole fish mounted, and sent to their hunting and fishing lodge complex at Lake Tahoe USA where it was hung above the bar with it's gaping mouth open and sign under it which says " Wrap a coin in a ten dollar bill and land it in the marlin's mouth, and all moneys that stay in it's mouth will be donated to the american cancer research foundation, any money that misses will be donated to the childrens fatal desease research foundation" as of 2006 mid year sometime the proceeds for both institutes amounted to $1,452,325.and some change, perhaps it will help to find a cure for a desease who knows.

barkers creek
26-08-2008, 06:56 PM
have to say im with dogsbody on this one.
if they cought it , i dont see why they wouldnt take fillets off it . if u found it then different story , can only assume , unless of course like said , sum one seen its still kicking on the sigh or catch it .

my 2 bobs worth anyhu

cheers

BLOOEY
26-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Haven't read all the replys on this but it would seem this was done by a deads##t cowboy. Saw a big barra carcass at monduran once filleted hanging from a tree and thought that was bad but this is very ordinary indeed. SHAME. Ben

bushbeachboy
26-08-2008, 07:46 PM
What if they were setting it up for target practice? C'mon guys, a bit of thought put into it please.......

bushbeachboy
26-08-2008, 07:49 PM
What if it's a redneck wedding thing, you know, kiss the bride under the dead fish.....a bit like mistletoe really:P

bushbeachboy
26-08-2008, 07:51 PM
What if it's a religious thing - The Church of the Worshippers of the Well-hung Jew - er fish that is........ok, never mind:P

nautical prince
26-08-2008, 07:54 PM
our poor jew mates being hung like that. I wonder if they gave him his last rights?

bushbeachboy
26-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Or maybe there's land for sale around there and someone wants to scare away the southern investors::) ....mmmmm....not a bad plan.

bushbeachboy
26-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Or maybe Peter Garrett was coming to visit and someone wanted to put him off his game that day:P

NAGG
26-08-2008, 10:12 PM
What if it's a religious thing - The Church of the Worshippers of the Well-hung Jew - er fish that is........ok, never mind:P

Now that is politically incorrect::)

BR65
28-08-2008, 08:28 PM

no takers????????????????

reidy
29-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Some people just dont get it hay.
I bet someone they knew would have taken it off their hands.
Reidy

bushbeachboy
29-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Having posted up all that rot, I too think it is a terrible waste. I wouldn't do it myself. Assuming the fish was full of worms, I'd cut it into small sections and put it in the gutters of the houses of people I didn't like..........

And I'm moving back to Townsville mid September so it's game on northerners......

FNQCairns
29-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Up here in the north country it's pretty easy to pick those with a propensity to participate in "the hanging of the fish" ritual....

Why,I just met some the other day....

To characterize such chaps...,well....,they were distinguishable by the odd way they added "eh" to end of each sentence....a can of bundy and coke was in their possession at all times.....,one of them kept referring to wife as "cuz" for some reason....banjo was their music of choice and I even heard them chuckle and mumble something that sounded like..."squeal like a pig,boy...."

Well,suffice to say I didn't hang around to witness the "hanging of the fish and I didn't want to squeal like pig either,so I quickly walked away..(backwards)...::);D

Golly! I hate it when the inlaws visit!!!;D;D

cheers fnq

ozbee
29-08-2008, 05:09 PM
yes it is a north Queensland thing and is done for some of the following reasons especially in cane growing country

not many of us have 9 to 5 hours like you city slickers

with cane crushing its not uncommon to work 14 days straight and then two off
a fish means shit how did he score his day off when the weather was good

lucky bastard

cripes he actually still caught something out side the green zone use southern bureaucrats dumped on us

see we still can catch a fish in a miracle when thee sea is not rough and the reef closures were dumped onto us again from you r southern bureaucrats

its the bush telegraph for lots of busy cane cutters as they see when hauling out yeps the mackerel are on the chew, or its the first barras starting to move after winter

the second most important thing after seeing fresh frames is to look at the chimney stacks of the sugar mills and see how straight the smoke is yeah you dumbbells thought it was for the smoke to come out. after all it is the best weather report you get up here after all use southern reporters give a one second length weather report up here on the news not that its important for us cyclones etc . lucky for us cyclone don't come on weekends

council actually leave certain sign posts with fish alone as they become icon spots for every body . it is a community thing that only certain sign spots are used

those working out at the mines in fly in fly out can quickly gauge what's around for his few days off

its is also practice for us on how to hang greenies and EPA from a tree WHICH YOU WILL NEED TO LEARN after the southern green zones come in

see maybe were not so stupid after all.

please take the above with a grain of salt

dogsbody
29-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Can't believe this thread is still going. Over one fish.

If there was a thread about bycatch on trawlers it would'nt even get half as much attention as this has.

Time to let it go IMO.

Dave.

disorderly
29-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Ozbee... I havent heard such a load of crap for a long time...

BTW, what do cane farmers do for the other 6 months of the year except slash headlands...???

Come to think of it what do they actually do during the crush ...
Work 14 days straight...you have to be joking.....they pay contractors to harvest the bloody stuff and it grows back each year for at least 4-6 years more before they have to replant....

Not to mention the low interest loans and continuing subsidies for all that.

Most of us wish we could extract a living from what realistically is a sideline.

Scott

disorderly
29-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Golly! I hate it when the inlaws visit!!!;D;D

cheers fnq

Yeah Scott...get back to me once you show your missus this thread and your response...ouch...;);D

Scott

Wahoo
29-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Ozbee... I havent heard such a load of crap for a long time...

BTW, what do cane farmers do for the other 6 months of the year except slash headlands...???

Come to think of it what do they actually do during the crush ...
Work 14 days straight...you have to be joking.....they pay contractors to harvest the bloody stuff and it grows back each year for at least 4-6 years more before they have to replant....

Not to mention the low interest loans and continuing subsidies for all that.

Most of us wish we could extract a living from what realistically is a sideline.

Scott

dont go there Scott, farmers getting hand outs, thats unheard of:o

Daz

Steve B
29-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Ozebee,

I agree about the chimmney stacks being a great wind report. we do it here all the time. I am sure you local news up north gives good weather reports. I know on the bundaberg news every second report is about cane farming, smut and subsidies etc. They also talk about chemical runoff from cane farms that kill more areas of reef than a greenzone covers.

How about the miners and cane farmers read a fishing report or phone a friend to find out where fish are biting....theres no need to hang fish anymore. those days should be a thing of the past.

This fish was WHOLE, now thats a WASTE. I can live with seeing a filleted frame hanging.

Mate, I have all the respect in the world for farmers of ALL kinds, my family is in the beef industry. I know how hard you ALL work. dont get me wrong, but using hard time experienced as an excuse to waste a good fish...is a poor excuse.

There are many hard working small business people struggling too, that would also do the same hours you do, and they might even be cityslickers:P Only difference is they arent as lucky as you to live near some of the best fishing in Australia.

Steve

PS I work and then on call 24 hours STRAIGHT for 7 days STRAIGHT....worse still....I cant have a beer or be more than 10 min from town in that time!!! then I have 3 days off!! So I feel as if I able to comment on working long hours.

ozbee
29-08-2008, 10:34 PM
hang on guys this was meant about filleted ones also really its about a pull at your leg but truly why don't you clean up your own back yard after all your screaming how bad to the environment we are up here yet our fish stocks are pretty strong and constant so maybe our ways aren't so bad eh. least us northerners don't have to hold a fish with 4 foot arms outstretched to make a decent photo. must be all those plastics you've been eating.

Bloody Grinner
30-08-2008, 06:30 PM
I agree it's a waste and it just looks stupid to me, yet..... then too spare a thought for the 60% of commercial fish caught which ends up straight at the landfill....even if it makes it too your local Woolies, a sh*t load gets thrown out each day. sometimes when I do my shopping it makes me feel sick in the stomach thinking about this...half the world is starving and then.....

just my 2 cents.

Bloody Grinner
30-08-2008, 06:44 PM
I only read the first page not realizing there was another 5 pages..... my apologies if my previous post has been discussed already...

BG

mookyandlumpy
31-08-2008, 01:29 PM
why runners are tied together & thrown over power lines

off topic but this thread went down hill heheheh

dont hold me to this but, it was first started in the "ghetto's" where the area was claimed by a drug dearler so shoes were trown up as a warning ,to stay clear of thier block

hooknose
31-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Who knows, the blokes freezer might have sh@t itself, might not have had a big enough esky(on the floor of the boat too long)...........
Pretty common to see the same thing done with feral pigs too, never heard a whinge about that.

BR65
31-08-2008, 08:37 PM
yep, that would impress me no end, a dead feral pig hanging off a street sign, awesome

Nic
02-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Myself, I wouldn't mind seeing a big mesh bag full of putrid crab shells, baking in the noonday heat. Purely to show your acquaintances that you're out and about, and that there are crabs in that creek. It's an altruistic act, you southeners -- when will you understand! ;)

FNQCairns
02-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Myself, I wouldn't mind seeing a big mesh bag full of putrid crab shells, baking in the noonday heat. Purely to show your acquaintances that you're out and about, and that there are crabs in that creek. It's an altruistic act, you southeners -- when will you understand! ;)

That's true!!!! (and I understand the slant), Altruism today is alien to the majority. Unless of coarse they get something personally tangible out of it;D;D

Caveat*
Although I don't believe in whole fish unless for circumstance it was forced to be wasted anyway.

cheers fnq

BR65
02-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Definition of altruistic (adjective)
showing unselfish concern for the welfare of others

had to look it up Nic, Im just a dumb southern city slicker;D

shorty 01
02-09-2008, 06:35 PM
why do people do that.if you keep it eat it dont wast it or just put the fish back in the water to swim another day