PDA

View Full Version : trailer protective coatings

ronnien
18-08-2008, 08:01 PM
hi all,

just wanting to know who uses a protective coating on their trailers.
mine is 1yr old & when i first got it i used valvoline 506 tectyl in the spray cans.
4 @ $10 bucks each =$40, today i re done it with the same product but in a 4ltr tin & brushed it on. 4ltrs cost me $26 bucks! (big saving);D it only took me 1hr to do this so now i have peace of mine for another yr, what product do you guys use & how often do yous re coat?

ron.

CreelReaper
18-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Mate, my trailer is fully galved and has no signs of rusting after 12 months. I will however give all bolts and nuts a liberal coating of grease every 12 months or so. I liberally spray fisholene in and around the leaves of the springs and hangers at the same time.

Shane

Roughasguts
18-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Don't worry Shane, she'll start rusting soon enough, give it a bit more time, 5 to 8 years.

Blackened
19-08-2008, 06:48 AM
G'day

Tectyl for me as well, 2 cans for a 12' trailer, couldn't find the 4L tin at the time.

All this is a top coat ro some killrust epoxy enamel, built tough ;)

Dave

MarkDiver
19-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi
My trailer is galv. so just a good freshwater washdown and any moving parts or ungalvanised parts or parts showing onset of rust gets fish oil out of the spray can. Cheap as from SuperC...p. No, not the wheel hubs or bearings!

SgBFish
19-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Looking at the forecast I’ve organised to do mine this weekend with a helper.
My trailer is 2 years old and the spring U-bolts need replacing, as well a lot of the zinc plated high tensiles that get dunked. Angle grinder has been warned not to let me down!
The plan is to treat the new ones with silver kill rust then Tectyl 506 the whole trailer.
Live and learn. I should have done what you did Garry and get the trailer done before the boat went on it.

Should be fun.
Scott

scrubba01
19-08-2008, 02:01 PM
I do mine with linseed oil it is a natural product so no residue goes into the water way and it sets as hard as a rock and just beads off the salt water.

SgBFish
19-08-2008, 02:33 PM
I do mine with linseed oil it is a natural product so no residue goes into the water way and it sets as hard as a rock and just beads off the salt water.

Scrubba are you using boiled linseed oil? Do you thin it with turps?

Scott

matmuller85
19-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Guys having worked on trailers most of my life since i was 6 with dad, i have found nothing better than Tectyl 506 and using quaility australian parts is another good heads up. The best thing IMO is paint your trailer ( gal or killrust) then coat in Tectyl 506 every year, when doing wheel bearing springs hanger tyres and brakes annual inspection. Cheers Matt

scrubba01
19-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Scrubba are you using boiled linseed oil? Do you thin it with turps?

Scott

Not sure if it is boiled or not but just paint it straight on and let the trailer sit in the sun for a day. It bakes on hard I tip it down the rails as well. Lasts for about 2 years before it needs to be done again. Even bits which are already rusted it seems to stop the rust. Must seal off the air which is needed for the chemical reaction of rust. Not sure though not a scientist:) just know it works.

trueblue
19-08-2008, 05:38 PM
cheap option...

works well

get any grease and thin it down with mineral turps or even petrol. paint it on liberally.

then let it dry. the turps or petrol will evaporate away, leaving a coating of grease.

without thinning it down, it will be too thick to paint on thinly.

cheers

Mick

Vitamin Sea
19-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Tectyl 506 for me as well, once per year, 4 litre tin, brush on, works very well.

Cheers

VS

marty_z
19-08-2008, 08:05 PM
...so am I too understand the guys using the Tectyl are painting this over galvanised trailers, or painted trailers?

And is it readily available on the Gold Coast?

Thanks

Marty

ronnien
19-08-2008, 08:47 PM
marty,

i am brushing the 506 on thick over a gal trailer but would work the same if you were to put it on over a painted one.

ron.

Moonlighter
20-08-2008, 04:55 PM
I use the Ozspray Lanolin (Industry Extra grade) and re-coat every couple of years - so far 8 years old and the only rust issues have been with some of the original gal/zinc bolts which have been replaced with stainless.

Only downside is you have to beat the Kiwis off for a couple of weeks until it sets and the sheep smell disappates ... ::) ;D ;D

Grant

borisdog
20-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Something that's almost identical to Tectyl if you can't find that is CRC Soft Seal, I use it on mine and it's every bit as good as the Tectyl.

All I do spray a couple of cans on about once a year after the boat is launched, takes 10 mins tops. By the time you come back to the ramp after a days fishing most of the tackiness has gone.

Darryl

Bob H
20-08-2008, 08:27 PM
I use the Ozspray Lanolin (Industry Extra grade) and re-coat every couple of years - so far 8 years old and the only rust issues have been with some of the original gal/zinc bolts which have been replaced with stainless.

Only downside is you have to beat the Kiwis off for a couple of weeks until it sets and the sheep smell disappates ... ::) ;D ;D

Grant

used to spray mine and harros trailers with the same stuff and never had a speck of rust,great stuff even if one of us forgot to wash trailer down????......bob

Reel Nauti
20-08-2008, 08:50 PM
My tailer is a Mackay trailer built in 1995. I've never treated it with anything other than fresh water, and grease on the springs. It's in perfect condition, but I don't have to dunk it get the boat off. Maybe that makes the difference.

Cheers

Dave

Kiwijohn
24-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Where can I get tectyl from in Brisbane? - after the tubs rather than spray cans

ronnien
24-08-2008, 08:44 PM
kiwijohn,

i got a 4ltr tin from ashland (valvoline distributor) here in t'ville cost $26.
have a look in the phone book (white pages?) you should find one.
the next place i tried was Russo paint shop cost$42.

dave,

i dont dunk mine either but just peace of mind,this one has to last me for a while yet, & might help in the aid when time to sell wich might not be that long away ( kids getting a bit bigger now).

ron.

plaztix
24-08-2008, 09:39 PM
I go over the whole trailer with lanolin spray every month or so and coat all bolt threads in lanolin grease every year. Work supplies the stuff so its handy and works a treat. no signs of rust at all.

Blackened
24-08-2008, 09:44 PM
G'day

KiwiJohn, Autobarn stock tectyl in the tins, May be worth a phone ahead to see if they have stock

Dave

levinge
24-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Kiwijohn - So do Blackwoods