PDA

View Full Version : A Curly One

pog mo hoin
18-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Now this may have been covered before, but my 9 yr old asked me this,

Dad he said:

"If no water comes over the side of the boat, then how come you have water coming out of the bung when you undo it?"
Well I didn't know what to say, so maybe someone has a logical answer.

Jeremy
18-08-2008, 07:57 PM
how much water comes out? could be many different reasons from a split in the hull, to bungs not sealing properly, spray over the sides, pin holes in the floor etc etc.

I get water in my boat from my livewell which slops some water over the sides into the boat occasionally, but I just pump it out again with the under floor bilge.

Jeremy

fez
18-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Jeremy is right there are numerous ways.... but I reckon the most common would have to be the bungs not sealing properly either through the thread or around the housing. Other ways would also be any old transducer fittings that have been removed screw holes etc.

Cheers,
Fez

Roughasguts
18-08-2008, 08:17 PM
The water comes in cause it leaks!

tunaticer
18-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Could also be like my boat and throw spray up the transom and it hits the capping and runs down the inside of the transom plate. After a full days running around i might get a couple of litres from it.

Jack.

black runner
18-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Also outboard motor mount bolt holes (the lower two) can leak as well. Can require tightening and resealing

Reel Nauti
18-08-2008, 08:30 PM
and sometimes you can accumulate a bit from the anchor rope, if you move around a lot anchoring here and there.

Dave

Apollo
18-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Rabbits!

Well that answer worked for the bloke on the Telstra Bigpond ad when he didn't know.

black runner
18-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Just getting into the boat from the water (tubing etc) can dump more than you think into the boat

jez and suze
19-08-2008, 06:09 AM
mine leaks somewhere aswell but im buggerd if i can find where!

Mindi
19-08-2008, 07:19 AM
mine leaks somewhere aswell but im buggerd if i can find where!

Mine used to..thought it was a welding hole but I let it dry on the trailer, put the bungs in and part flooded it with the hose...then inspected closely...the water came out around the bung housing. It was only a drip but enough to get a few litres an hour.
Drill out the rivets and reinstall new housing and bung using Sikaflex..nothing else worth a pinch of xxxx

nigelr
19-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Aye Mindi, that Sikaflex is flippin' awesome stuff.
Cheers.

disorderly
19-08-2008, 08:20 AM
I had my transducer come off once on a trip out to the reef....due to the screws coming out.
I just draped the ducer over the transom and sat it in the livewell (just used my other sounder for the day)

Thank god for bilge pumps though as it kept cutting in every 10 minutes or so and pumping out a lot of water....

Amazing just how much can come in through a couple of holes below the waterline..

Another thing to check is the condition of the bungs themselves...sometimes the rubber washer or O ring can be perished or cracked but basically anywhere in the hull that has been breached or drilled should be checked from time to time and sealant reapplied where necessary.

CB77
19-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Hi,

Put the bungs in and add a few drops of food coloring in the transom then fill it up with water and wait to see where it comes out.

If it is a leak in the hull it will soon show up.

food coloring makes it a lot easier to see.

Mr__Bean
19-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Hi,

Put the bungs in and add a few drops of food coloring in the transom then fill it up with water and wait to see where it comes out.

If it is a leak in the hull it will soon show up.

food coloring makes it a lot easier to see.

Agree,

Anothor common method is to disolve a Blue-Loo tablet in water and use this in the hull to detect the leaks.

Food dye and Blue-loo both flush out easily.

- Darren