PDA

View Full Version : Spring Barra Fishing Checklist

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
18-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Spring is just around the corner and it is obvious with the immense interest in barramundi fishing that the next 9 months will be a cracker for many anglers. After lots of years of shared stories, and folders of information criss-crossed within the public, there should be some serious fishing undertaken by those who venture afield. Firstly, anglers really need to clear up the differences between their expectations and their capabilities before they all hit the water in want of 70 pound fish. Some will land monsters, and sadly some will still land zero. It is all good and positive to have dreams and future visions, but serious planning does need to be undertaken in order for fishermen and women to strive closer to their goals. From the simplest of tasks, to mental approaches, we all need to tinker at basic concepts to keep things running smoothly and finely tuned. This may sound simple and boring, but our rods, reels, lines, leaders, knots, lures, hooks, batteries, electric motors, outboards, anchors, ropes, shackles, mind set, weather conditions and so on all need close attention before any trip.
Lures- We will all have our own ideas on what to pack, but make sure the selection is as wide as possible to give you the best advantage. Deep diving timber lures to surface poppers and fizzers, as well as a selection of soft plastic types from paddletails to lift and flick type presentations. The list is endless; the number of ways to catch good barramundi has no end point. Don't be afraid to trial new 'stuff'.
What to expect, or what to plan for?
This question is always the million dollar question. What will the lake be like?
Will there be distinct weed edges?
Will the weed fringes or palnt life be in their glory, or dying off?
Will the water be at the level I am hoping for, or will it be far different to what I expected?
What has the winter months done to the lake I want to fish?
Will it still be early in the climatic change after winter, or will things be well and truly warming up?
Will the water be quite clear or will it be filthy?
Will algae levels be down, or mysteriously high?
How much wind will there be, and what direction will the sub surface currents flow this time?
Some of these are the unknowns that we never really can prepare for when we plan to hit a dam hundreds of kilometres away. Half of the lures you may have packed may just not suit the dynamics or nature's design of the lake this season. I know my choices from 7 years ago no longer get a swim, since Awoonga was so different that long ago.
It changes every year, from minor to major.
Whatever you do, you certainly need to be willing to about face and start from scratch if you find yourself in unfamiliar territory when it comes to fishing situations. If you are not having any luck, possibly you need to change a few things. This may be lure type, cast length or cast angle, retrieve type, fishing location, or fishing times etc. Just because last year or last week you caught barra down the back of spot X, on lure X, it doesn't mean this year or visit will produce the same. It might, but it just may not. Be aware of that.
Expanding your Considerations
If there is something that I would like all anglers to do more of this season/year is to expand on the major portion of the equation that so often recieves very little consideration.
NATURE
We often get too caught up in the special 'fishy' moment to remember all the finer details that were associated with a capture. I don't just mean average weather conditions, what I mean is, the nitty gritty; what happened during the lead up, the moment of the capture, and after the capture.
Where was the fish hooked? Pinned deep inside or lip hooked? It all means something- take note.
There are no prizes for noting that most Ausfishers want to know more about barramundi angling, the truth is that a lot of the basics have been shared, some which are utilised, some others which are ignored. The rest is up to individuals to expand their own world on the water by paying attention again, to that 'N' word.
NATURE, once we all start focusing on this we will all advance in some way or another that we eventually set ourselves up for the next chapter in learning.
We all need a game plan this season, and I believe that anyone who takes notes, writes a diary, opens themselves up and blends in with nature and absorbs the surrounding material on offer rather than focusing on the shiney lure hanging off the end of their rod will be taking the valuable steps to becoming a better, smarter angler.
If we choose to ignore the NATURE part, then it will be a long hard battle ahead for anyone not using that opportunity; it being, the best information on offer to help unlock the equation. It will take time, yes, but if you share with your friends you can magnify your learning. Without that experience, anglers can only advance to a certain level, and in their lifetime they will fall well short of the requirements needed to better understand an animal and an environment. Most of us will be dead before we expand fully, so there comes the need to help each other. I think it is now time for many anglers to look over their shoulders and pick up the clues and hints that are given away everyday by Mother Nature. By now, many of us have a box of lures and lure fishing ideas to apply, so it is a matter of trial and error and notetaking on fine detail to take you to the next level. Lures on their own are just one page, and that page is partly filled already, so it is time to move on and grow.
The impoundment barra and camping booklet out soon covers some of this in basic form. This is not a plug to sell more booklets, in fact, the booklet is more of a need for anglers rather than the small dollar spinner it will be. I'd rather of fished and explored more than sat in doors and wasted my time, except for the fact that it is clear that anglers need fresh material to think about. Profits divded by two writers highlights that is not a major money lurk. It is a case of having to push this material out for the hungry anglers that want to learn, but suffer from the limiting material that really is available on a subject that requires serious hours in nature to get the upper hand. A lot of my work at times is regarded as mysterious, maybe it is to the simple way that many anglers are bred to think. It is time have anglers thinking more and becoming better in tune with the natural world, because hidden amongst that very subject lies that answers that many are looking for. Until that can is opened, the same level of thinking and fishing will continue for many, yet unfortunately changing lakes and changing fish will leave those types way behind.
Take the African Hunting Dog or any big gun predator for example; they know their prey, they know their environment, they know the conditions at hand and they know how to work within those guidlelines to come up with a kill. A different tactic each time is often observed. Humans are no different, we need to adjust, tune in, learn, expand and conquer. Our tools in our hand are just the simplest of aids, not the bare essentials that we need! In the old age, stone age or whatever age, sharp sticks did the killing part, but the hunter added the other 95% by looking and learning; to get the job done.
Happy angling in the barra lakes this season.
Lots to think about.
Johnny Mitchell

Peter4
18-08-2008, 06:50 PM
I will take all of this (and more) on board for my first winter/spring barra trip next week......

Thanks for the timely reminder Johnny

Regs

Pete

BR65
18-08-2008, 07:14 PM
eyes wide open, thanks JM.

Pete, have you developed a stutter????
cheers
brian

Steve B
18-08-2008, 07:55 PM
priceless!

Thanks JM.

Tropicaltrout
18-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Very well said Johnny....

Cheers Nath

Obi _ Wan
18-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Good stuff Johnny.

Just love your work.

Cheers,
John.

NAGG
18-08-2008, 09:23 PM
As always ...... well written JM

Chris

Peter4
19-08-2008, 07:44 AM
eyes wide open, thanks JM.

Pete, have you developed a stutter????
cheers
brian

A-A-absolutely - it's the excitement of my f-f-first trip for the s-season b-b-beginning to b-b-build.....;)

BR65
19-08-2008, 11:31 AM
A-A-absolutely - it's the excitement of my f-f-first trip for the s-season b-b-beginning to b-b-build.....;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

hope ya have a cracker mate, I may be able to provide a bit of up to date info for you with a bit of luck;)

Peter4
19-08-2008, 12:21 PM
That would be appreciated Brian.

Spent most of Sunday tuning lures......

Now have leaders to construct, more lures to tune, final gear & boat checks, provision shopping, fuel up then ready to go.....;) ;D ;D

chewy01
19-08-2008, 02:13 PM
go get em peter,
When you let em go can you tell em there are some nice ppl coming on sept 15 so dont be shy. oh n tell em kim n roo are coming too:).
Hope you smash em.just remember if you have to wonder if ur retrieving too fast in august, you probably are.
chewy..

Whitto
19-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Great words Johnny.....I have 2 say I was sober when I started reading....U are a man of wisdom

Dick Pasfield
19-08-2008, 08:35 PM
To add, from my perspective, which is more to do rivers than lakes but the fundamentals apply.
Not sure if the word 'nature' is quite the word I'd use, environment suits me better because I'd add the factor of human competition into that equation. As a specific example Friday night fishing gets me more fish/hr when compared with Sunday night fishing. No need to be an Einstein to work out why.

To get a handle on environmental variables there's no substitute for time spent on the water, trying to shortcut comprehensive data collection can often lead to the wrong answer (how often have we being guilty of that::);D).

Additionally putting in the hours helps you find what the important questions are that need answering. For example (I hazard a guess here) a priority question that seems to need to have an answer in lakes is the effect of wind on fish moods and movements. From my perspective that consideration on a comparative narrow riverine environment is less of a priority than what a inch of rain can produce around feeder creeks.

I find that one of the major constraints we can have believing our own theories too much. For example "No I wont go fishing tonight the water temp is too cold or the moon is too dark etc". On those nights one fish may suffice against the odds. You wont get it if you're still sitting in your living room.

Lastly and harking back to priorities, I think you need to concentrate on finding the environmental factors that make the biggest difference. Trying to make sense of all the factors that affect fish from the 50 percenters down to the .5 percenters is extremely difficult and can add a deal of confusion to your thought process, for example rising or falling water levels as compared to cloudy day/sunny day.

Steve B
19-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Well said Dick. Very good advice. I particularly liked the line about 'major constraint is believing our own theories too much" . Your exactly right, this really applies to negative triggers (useing cold water as an example). We assume certain theories as the cause of bad days....mabey it was something else on that day....not the cool water. We then associate cool water as a bad time to fish forever!!

Your triggers good/bad may be different over that way compared to ours in impoundments, however, the mental approach of the angler to learn the keys dished out by the environment are unique to becoming a successful angler wherever you fish. Or whatever species you chase.

thanks for the valuble info. We hadn't heard from you in ages. I was wondering whats been happening in your part of the world.

cheers steve

NAGG
19-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi Dick ...... You have been quiet!
Your comments are certainly valid:)
As you alluded to - Regular time spent on a particular waterway will always pay dividends ......... Observation of the changing environment > > > be it regular ..... like a tide in your case , moon phases (insect activity) , seasonal , air / water temperatures + fluctuations , weather patterns , barometer etc etc etc ............. All this can be taken in when you spend regular time on the water ...... & fish "The day at hand !"

Cheers

Chris

Mak579
20-08-2008, 02:50 PM
I think you need to concentrate on finding the environmental factors that make the biggest difference. Trying to make sense of all the factors that affect fish from the 50 percenters down to the .5 percenters is extremely difficult and can add a deal of confusion to your thought process

Well written Dick,

I attempted to communicate something similar a couple of weeks ago but couldn't find the words...... great piece of advice too :)

Matt C

Dick Pasfield
20-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Something different and I wonder how many can relate to it. My son's dog accompanies me fishing about 80% of the time. She loves it, especially the fish catching bit and knows the sound of line unloading off a reel.

Sometimes she's a bit casual in the boat other times she's wound up like a spring peering over the side expecting a fish at any second.

It appears she has her own signs that she reacts to, not sure how accurate they are as often we're where the fish are not but I continue to watch with interest.

Plasticin
20-08-2008, 08:59 PM
I think you need to concentrate on finding the environmental factors that make the biggest difference.

I think that is exactly it. For the travelling angler there is no point fishing where the fish aren't. But sometimes you have to fish where the fish aren't to work out that they aren't there. But us guys who are working to a tight schedule really can't afford to in case of the dreaded donut. Then how is the travelling angler going to learn where the fish aren't or more importantly where the fish are???Should we be relying on the guys who fish these places often to spoon feed us all the information? I think that sometimes we are just looking for the ultimate answer when it may just not be there. Working out what the biggest influencing factor that needs to be ascertained is perhaps the hardest thing for someone who doesn't spend as much time on the water of the impoundments. And like the puzzle it is there is not necessarily one factor that is the most important all the time. Hopefully some more light is shed on this with the up coming books and red carpet appearances. Just curious JM will there be any book signings??? ::) I've sent my potato up with Lyndon if you could sign it that would be great. Just next to Jonathon Brown and Simon Black's...

Scott

Awoonga
21-08-2008, 05:57 AM
I think that sometimes we are just looking for the ultimate answer when it may just not be there..........That magic bullet............

NAGG
21-08-2008, 08:07 AM
I think that sometimes we are just looking for the ultimate answer when it may just not be there..........That magic bullet............

The magic bullet ....... with owner upgrades;D

I think you're right Trev ....... Afterall , we are talking about a wild animal that doesn't have a rule book!

Chris

vet
21-08-2008, 09:52 AM
G'day Nagg, I believe that barra definitely have a rule book, unfortunately we can't get our hands on it, so as Johnny is alluding to, it is up to us to be as observant of as many things as possible so that we can try to get some insight into the rules. People who regularly catch barra in most conditions usually are highly attuned to their environment, observe everything about any fish they catch or don't catch and record it all. After years of doing this some of the rules will become apparent but like all good games the rules are subject to change. I believe that trying to work out the puzzle is one of the best things about barra fishing and it's what keeps us coming back, and the fish itself isn't too bad of a reason as well.
cheers scott.

Jeremy87
21-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Yep there certainly seems alot more to fishing for these big girls than meets the eye. When i was up in darwin it was simple. Cast lure twitch like hell and hold on. While the size isn't there they were certainly easier to catch, and even then a little bit of prowess produced more fish still. Down here chasing the big girls you've got to wonder if it's their time of the month first. I get what you mean by the nature thing rather than environment. You can only observe the environment but you can make yourself part of nature by training your senses. Looking forward to reading the book when it comes out John.

TinarooTriumph
23-08-2008, 06:40 PM
One word... OBSERVATION!

Although everything relative to Barra fishing may not revolve around it, I definetely believe a hell of alot does. Spending nearly all of my times outdoors and being involved in differing activities means that I get to see alot of different environments (note the bold 's'). By questioning your own observations may lead to answers, but its through YOUR OWN trial and error that I believe the best, solid, hard found info comes from.

I havn't done as much Spring fishing as I would have liked to over the past 2 years of my Tinaroo run, but I plan to start an early assault with a weeks fishing starting on Tuesday. As JW always says, 'If you fail to prepare, then prepare to fail' - a motto which I will live by. How will I prepare? Having your tools of the trade in place and working well are only part of the equation. The best way to prepare for a solid few days fishing are to get out on the water and do your own thing. In my case, I have found that by leaving Rods and Reels back at home for a day and knicking off with the Boat for a few hours of scanning the waters of Tinaroo help me immensly. Taking note of what others are seeing out there also goes into the memory bank - more so then how well they are doing.

As for an 'ultimate answer' - there is none. I worked that out pretty dam quick when I first started my fishing... spending hours upon hours of casting Lure's at certain snags and turning the water to froth and having a mate tell me 'welcome to Barra fishing young fella' made me realise that this is a game of hard work. Over the times I have also realised that going back to basics and keeping things as simple as possible work tops. But its not always like that.

As usual, your input Johnny is much appreciated. I just hope that it doesn't go to waste by people 'just reading it'. Info like that is far to valuable to just browse over.

Theo

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
26-08-2008, 04:58 PM
I think you need to concentrate on finding the environmental factors that make the biggest difference.

I think that is exactly it. For the travelling angler there is no point fishing where the fish aren't. But sometimes you have to fish where the fish aren't to work out that they aren't there. But us guys who are working to a tight schedule really can't afford to in case of the dreaded donut. Then how is the travelling angler going to learn where the fish aren't or more importantly where the fish are???Should we be relying on the guys who fish these places often to spoon feed us all the information? I think that sometimes we are just looking for the ultimate answer when it may just not be there. Working out what the biggest influencing factor that needs to be ascertained is perhaps the hardest thing for someone who doesn't spend as much time on the water of the impoundments. And like the puzzle it is there is not necessarily one factor that is the most important all the time. Hopefully some more light is shed on this with the up coming books and red carpet appearances. Just curious JM will there be any book signings??? ::) I've sent my potato up with Lyndon if you could sign it that would be great. Just next to Jonathon Brown and Simon Black's...

Scott

Mr Spud man,
You are on the money with wondering where to look to avoid the donut. However, just like the last 2 weeks on the TV, those Olympians weren't spoon fed. The heartache of losing and the tears of joy sum up the effort required to get their big picture happening. Just be patient when peeling spuds, as the new DVD will not only open your thoughts, but share some basic eye opening concepts that drive fisheries. The small booklet, due in Spring will cover a few more bases before the next expanded description in big book form comes after that. One step at a time.
I had trouble signing my name and mentioning Mr Potato Head in the same sentence so I just signed beside JB and SG with a simple JM.
Catch you next time, maybe you may catch yourself on DVD too.
Cheers
I hope many Ausfishers now look out the window before bed time and check the weather, then compare it at wake up time. That is the start for a practice session to keep you in tune with changing surroundings.
Johnny

richieboy
28-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Totally agree with environmental factors.
The season is starting to turn up here now and I caught a hint of humidity last week.
Had the boat sorted fast and hit it. Landed a few fish which was rewarding. Suprising thing was there were no boofs to give anything away which started to make me look at different factors.
So I did, water temp, bait locations, colour changes and ledges. Because I didn't have it easy with give away boofs I was forced to look at all factors which can turn a fishing session on.
As it turned out most fish came from a draining flat dropped onto a steep ledge. Colour change was there but the single best factor was using a suspending lure. I outfished Jonesy 8 to 2 with hookups and a few landed.
My theory of the fish feeding hard after a sluggish DRY season and becoming active due to recent rises in humidity and temp are what govern most of my trips. That and tidal movement (in the salt).
Even wind direction which can congregate bait in certain locations. Add to that likely ambush spots and you'll soon find barra.
Continuosly changing tactics until you trigger the bite will help in the long run. Think outside the norm and take into consideration what you did, when you did it and how you did it when that fish struck.
Keep it real boys and get into em.

Rich ;)

Steve B
28-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Spot on Rich, Thanks for sharing that info...some of the factors affecting the salt barra transgress across to the impoundment. instincts are instincts. I see you noticed no boofing, but you still got fish. To me that would suggest they were still feeding, just mid water. Suspending mid water got them. was that you theory if you dont mind me asking??

I will be aiming to get into some salt water barra fishing later this year. I value these insights and quality info. cheers mate.

cheers steve

fishboy1
07-09-2008, 06:47 PM
sorry to but in but i have just joined and i am looking for lots of info for monduron.

NAGG
07-09-2008, 06:57 PM
sorry to but in but i have just joined and i am looking for lots of info for monduron.

No Probs fishboy ...... I'm sure you'll pick up lots of info hereabouts ........................
then again, maybe not;)

introduce your self ....... & if you have questions
Ask away

Chris

PS ........ If you have a few months ( read the Ben Hur thread - 81 pages)
There is some good info in amongst the tripe

fishboy1
07-09-2008, 07:14 PM
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm only 8 so 81 pages would take a long time to read.
whart is the size for barra cattys

fishboy1
07-09-2008, 07:53 PM
come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
08-10-2008, 05:37 PM
I thought this one could be read again for anyone who is keen, or for anyone who wants to go over the last month and see where it all fits. The lakes are fishing well, with the ups and downs like normal. Has anyone noticed anything different or learnt anything new to assist on their next trips? I know many want to learn more, yet the barra diary seems very empty. Are people really keen to learn,,or is it seemingly evident that many don't really want it that badly? I'm suprised that the barra diary has very few entries on a forum where lots of questions get asked and where lots of anglers want more.
Johnny

NAGG
08-10-2008, 07:23 PM
I thought this one could be read again for anyone who is keen, or for anyone who wants to go over the last month and see where it all fits. The lakes are fishing well, with the ups and downs like normal. Has anyone noticed anything different or learnt anything new to assist on their next trips? I know many want to learn more, yet the barra diary seems very empty. Are people really keen to learn,,or is it seemingly evident that many don't really want it that badly? I'm suprised that the barra diary has very few entries on a forum where lots of questions get asked and where lots of anglers want more.
Johnny

I have to say ..... I didn't really pay attention to it .... till someone pointed it out

So I posted our trip results ....... hopefully now we will get a follow up from others hereabouts!

Chris

rc@hinze
08-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Well here my 2 bobs worth from limited experience. I have looked back over my last trip to Monduran where there were no fish landed but several hooked. There are lots of things I have tried to decipher but I haven’t been able to come to many firm conclusions.

Spots that we were told were working in the previous weeks northerly stable weather, seemed to hold fish the first day ( inc. one hookup) into the southerly change but after that evening not one touch in that area for the next few days. But I persisted with the same presentation and maybe that was also an issue and mistake I made- it worked the first arvo so I stuck with it. Maybe change the presentation when other factors change is a good first lesson - assuming they are still there though.

Next morning I had two hookups in succession at 4.30am from the exact spot I got 3 hookups at 6months previous using same lure and similiar weather. This was in deep water near trees and I concluded that at that time fish may travel via that route just before sunrise on their journey around the dam. 2 mornings later in the same spot and time, but in a different wind, there was not a touch.

As we slept on the houseboat I never heard one boof in 4 days. I dont know what this meant except they were not interested in surface feeding. This includes being at two totally different locations.

I don’t understand why within a 12 hour period 3 hookups occured in totally different locations and using totally different methods. I cannot not work out any similarities and there probably isn’t any.

There are just so many variables and it is very hard for me to pinpoint specifics. Two different anglers in the same spot at the same time will choose different lures, line, rods, reels, casts, rod angles and retrieves. It is not always comparing “apples with apples” even at the same spot and times.

The point about preconceived ideas is a good one. I think I make the mistake of deciding how I want to catch the barra and proceed to persist with a method that I wanted use. I need a system or routine or varied “tests” that evaluates more quickly how fish may respond when I arrive at an area to fish. Lesson 2 – Don’t be stubborn.

I have noticed a huge difference in my local dam this winter compared to last. Last year the bass were big and hungry and this year no real size or quantities -drought conditions compared to a full dam now. It was like they were preparing for their trip over the wall into the Nerang river. Also I have noticed that we don’t seem to get Bass in northerlies or a falling barometer. Lesson 3 – consider major changes to the environment.

I believe there are “rules of thumb” that apply when certain conditions are ’such and such” and those are what I would like to work out so that I can get fishing with a chance. After that more technical or specific techniques may or will come into play. I think there are so many variables it can be very hard to pin things down at times. And I also can’t get over the times I have caught fish when I really wasn’t expecting to get any. I think when they are on they are on and anyone may catch a fish. It’s the “not on” times that frustrates yet intrigues and captivates us. - Richard

SeekingBarradise
23-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Just going over some old but very good threads to see how much good info has been skipped lately.

I thought i'd pop this one back up for everyone to have a look at some springtime
suggestions from Mitchell.

Cheers Lyndon.

Big_Ren
24-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks Lyndon. It has been well and truly etched in the memory bank since Johnny first posted it. Tremendously helpful. Certainly triggers an adrenaline rush.

Cheers
Paul

NAGG
25-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Its actually interesting ....... that a couple of years back , many of us looked to springtime to commence our barra season.
Compare that to 2009 where many of us fished through Autumn / Winter & into spring .......... 8-) Now its year round barra :D ...... & not just for the locals

Gotta love that

Chris

SQUIDDA
26-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Its actually interesting ....... that a couple of years back , many of us looked to springtime to commence our barra season.
Compare that to 2009 where many of us fished through Autumn / Winter & into spring .......... 8-) Now its year round barra :D ...... & not just for the locals

Gotta love that

Chris
I guess it had to happen sooner or later.8-)

NAGG
26-09-2009, 09:36 AM
I guess it had to happen sooner or later.8-)

Couldn't leave it just for the locals ;)

I have to say ...... winter fishing was great - If you picked the weather ....... some of those days were magnificent & often you had the place to yourself 8-)

Chris

Big_Ren
26-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Couldn't leave it just for the locals ;)

I have to say ...... winter fishing was great - If you picked the weather ....... some of those days were magnificent & often you had the place to yourself 8-)

Chris

Ssssssssshhhhhhhh Chris;)

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
27-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Nagg,
You will find a lot of things written in the past that you yourself will discover in the future. Lots of useful stuff lays idle, pages back.
Johnny

NAGG
29-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Nagg,
You will find a lot of things written in the past that you yourself will discover in the future. Lots of useful stuff lays idle, pages back.
Johnny

No doubt it does Johnny ....... Its just these days its so much easier doing regular short trips & discovering things for myself than when I was doing the 16 hour haul from Sydney:P

Cheers

chris