PDA

View Full Version : Murray cod off limits September 1 -November 30.

Gary Fooks
18-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries
Queensland Government
Media release
18 August 2008

Hands off Murray cod
Murray cod will be off limits to recreational fishers in certain Queensland waters from September 1 until November 30.
Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries (DPI&F) community liaison officer Karl Roebuck said the waters affected included the Barwon, Macintyre and Dumaresq Rivers on the Queensland-New South Wales border.
“New South Wales has a Murray cod closed season in place and these particular Queensland rivers are in close proximity to them,” Mr Roebuck said.
“The closure is to protect the cod during their breeding period when the females attach their eggs to logs or rocks and the males guard the eggs until they hatch.”
Penalties apply to fishers who are caught taking Murray cod from these rivers during the closed season.
“However, anglers can still fish for Murray cod in the Connolly, Coolmunda, Glenlyon, Leslie and Storm King dams, which have been stocked with cod,” Mr Roebuck said.
“A minimum size limit of 60cm and maximum size limit of 110cm applies. The take and possession limit for Murray cod is two.
“To fish in the these dams or any of Queensland’s 30 stocked dams on the Stocked Impoundment Permit (SIP) Scheme, anglers must have a permit.
“Purchasing a SIP is quick and easy and can be done online through the Queensland Government Gateway - www.qld.gov.au/fishing (file://www.qld.gov.au/fishing) - before leaving home.”
Permits may also be purchased from selected small businesses throughout the state. Contact the DPI&F Business Information Centre on 13 25 23 for participating businesses and the locations of dams that require a permit.
SIPs cost $35 for a year ($31.50 for some concession card holders) or $7 for a week.
“To ensure our waterways continue to have healthy stocks of Murray cod, anglers should try to release these species as soon as possible after catching due to the high stress levels this species can suffer,” Mr Roebuck said.
For more information on fishing rules and regulations visit – www.dpi.qld.gov.au (http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/)

Further information:
Kirsten Phillips Principal Communication Officer, Fisheries Ph: 3224 7757
Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries
Strategic Communication & Marketing
GPO Box 46 Brisbane Qld 4001
DPI&F Business Information Centre 13 25 23 (weekdays 8 am to 6 pm)

FNQCairns
18-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Good thing, does anyone know if this closed season is a first? Hope the conditions this year favour the fish.

cheers fnq

slyman
18-08-2008, 01:39 PM
I think it is mate, according to the DPI site Bass and Barra were the only two species mentioned in freshwater closed seasons.

siegfried
18-08-2008, 02:22 PM
weve had closed seasons for cod for years in NSW and that combined with a fair bit of restocking of both murray river and trout cod has made it possible to catch more and better fish in traditional areas as well as places they havnt been seen in for years, top stuff.

Mike Delisser
19-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Good to see!

Haji-Baba
19-08-2008, 10:27 PM
A closed season for catching of Murray Cod has been in place for years.
As far as I can remember this started back in the 1950's and at that time included Yelowbelly.

It has altered over the years but earlier on included all the Murray Darling tributaries. I don't know for sure but I think it still applies to the Condamine and asssociated streams.

The Warrego catchment was also included at that time.

Some one might know the exact rules now because I certainly don't.

How about the need to hold a New South Wales licence to fish in
"The Border Rivers"?

There sure are some confusing rules out there.

Mind you I support any means to protect all our native fishes although I take a feed when I can.

Have Fun Haji-Baba