PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a 4 Stroke horizontal on its front

NormC
17-08-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm looking to upgrade my roof topper set up to something larger. I'd like to get a 4 stroke or E-Tec, subject to weight and some other factors.

But I need to confirm that a 4 stroke is feasible. I will carry the motor on a tilting bracket on the draw bar of a caravan. When locked in place for travel, the motor will be horizontal, front down. That is, with the prop pointing upwards.

I've been told that this is a no no for a 4 stroke. I assume it is because of the risk of oil leaking into the cylinders. Can anyone confirm with certainty that this is so. If right, is it feasible to drain the oil before loading it? Not sure if I'd want to do that. But just want to see what barriers there are to using a 4 stroke this way and how I might overcome them to keep 4 strokes in the mix.

I love my current 2 stroke, but with the cost of fuel and the issue of emissions, I'd like to change to a cleaner more fuel efficient motor if it is feasible and I can make the numbers stack up.

Norm C

Spaniard_King
18-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Norm,

I can confirm that you cant transport a Honda like you have suggested unless you drain the engine oil.. which is not a big issue.

BrandonH
18-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Hi Norm, my little 15hp 4 stroke mariner has to be either mounted like it is on the back of the boat, or on its side tiller down. My dad's 50hp yammy 4 stroke has a sticker witch states the something similar (as mounted on back of boat, or on a particular side).

Guess this isn't the answer you wanted:( how feasible would it be for you to make up a box in lu of your mount to lay the motor down on its side within? would take up a bit more room on your draw bar though.

cheers
Brandon...

NormC
18-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks guys. I figured as much.

From experience, while it is easy to set up the boat for use, it gets plenty of use. Once you put barriers in the way, it only gets used when stopping for several days in the one spot.

Don't think I can fit the motor on its side, and I already have the carry bracket. Also the carry bracket lets me move the motor simply from boat to bracket (upright), then tilt it over when secured in place. If I get a bigger (heavier) motor, I'll set up a simple crane system to make lifting easier.

Do I need a pump of some sort to drain and replace oil, or is it a simple drain via plug in bottom, then pour it back in the top?

Norm C

Spaniard_King
18-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Norm, the Honda will have a drain bung on the side and a fill cap on the top.

NormC
18-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Now, I'm assuming from this that the engine oil is the only issue that prevents a 4 stroke from being carried as I propose. If I drain the oil, it will be fine, with no other issue getting in the way?

Norm C

Spaniard_King
18-08-2008, 06:52 PM
yes Norm...that should be the only issue..a bit of fuel may leak from the carby or the wapor seperator.. but this would only be a minimal amount and will not harm the engine.

black runner
18-08-2008, 08:45 PM
How about a bracket mounted on a vertical post attached to the caravan draw bar?