PDA

View Full Version : Attacked By Pelican

gunna
17-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Following on from the slimy mac attack - I got a bit of a chuckle at Caloundra on Saturday. The son-in-law took an empty plastic bottle to the cleaning station to get fresh water. No fish being cleaned - just a number of pelicans standing round. SIL went to turn the tap on - pelican attacked his hand. Went to turn it on again - same thing. He tried pushing it away and it bit his upper arm leaving a nasty scratch. Meanwhile I was rolling round the boat laughing ;D ;D ;D

imnotoriginal
17-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Classic Pete. They're not scared around here, I still remember seeing one hooked by a cast, didn't even put a swerve in its flight just kept going. Poor guy who hooked it had no idea what was going on.
Joel

Big Shaun
17-08-2008, 04:07 PM
I seen a couple of Pelicans kill a cormorant at Seaworld a few years back. The cormorant was pretty crook and they went to town on it. They just kept snapping at its neck, dunk it until it drowned. Freaked the keepers out.

Local_Guy
17-08-2008, 05:24 PM
i've seen a video somewhere... probably on youtube... where a pelican gobbled up a live duck

castlemaine
17-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Boy, those pelicans on the North Coast must be very boistrous. A pelican flew into a mate's tinny and as he reached around to get his oar to shoo it away, it bit him on the bum. The real laughter started when he had to go to Nambour Hospital a week later with an infection and explain it to the nurses. ;D;D;D

tunaticer
17-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Funniest thing i ever saw with pelicans was in Ningi creek about ten yrs ago. I was pulling in the crab pots and there was a troupe of pelicans following the boat fighting over the baits. I was using mullet chopped in half and threw a head out to the pelicans. The one that caught it managed to slip his top beak up inside the gut cavity and its hook on its beak couldnt be dislodged to get it off. Talk about a rumble!! the poor bugger could barely float by the time the others got the head off him, but talk about a commotion!!

Jack.

3rd degree
17-08-2008, 06:37 PM
I too was attacked by a pelican!

I was jumping off a bridge at Noosa (as you do when your young and bullet proof) when I felt a smack/crack on my shoulder and something wet run down my back........... and it stank.

Being young I thought a passing car of other youngsters had thrown a rotten egg at me!, As I looked round, and there were no cars around, and upon looking up I saw a pelican re-adjusting itself after dropping its guts on my back.

Some has told me since that it is good luck to have a pelican sh!t on you.

I am still waiting!

(Although 10 years later, upon reflection I was probably lucky to live through the silly things I did as a youngster, i.e. jumping off bridges for fun)eers

Cheers

Jim

Outsider1
17-08-2008, 06:46 PM
i've seen a video somewhere... probably on youtube... where a pelican gobbled up a live duck

It was a pigeon apparently!

QNNl_uWmQXE

Cheers

Dave

TheRealAndy
17-08-2008, 07:09 PM
A mate of mine had a pelican crap on his car when he was going over the bridge to redcliffe. You should have seen the car, it was painted white. Funniest shit I have ever seen. To top it off, the crap run into the vents near the windscreen. It took months and months before the stench went!

Scott nthQld
17-08-2008, 07:18 PM
I remember when I was a little kid and me and my brother used to feed the pelicans fish heads while dad was cleaning. They weren't shy about stealing fish off the cleaning tables either. Once when I was about 4 or 5 i think, I held out a fish head ready to throw it to them, when one ran up, and in trying to grab the head, tried to swallow my whole arm as well, scared the living daylights out of me at that age.

Poodroo
17-08-2008, 07:20 PM
I remember seeing a story in the papers a long time ago where a lady had her chihuahua on a remote beach and it started to bark at a pelican which was a little close to it. The pelican retaliated by swooping it up in its large beak. The dog was last seen heading south at approximately 100 feet never to be seen again. ::)

Poodroo

Outsider1
17-08-2008, 07:36 PM
I remember seeing a story in the papers a long time ago where a lady had her chihuahua on a remote beach and it started to bark at a pelican which was a little close to it. The pelican retaliated by swooping it up in its large beak. The dog was last seen heading south at approximately 100 feet never to be seen again. ::)

Poodroo

Hi Poodroo,

That one is an old urban myth that does the rounds regulary!!, probably in threads like this one LOL;D;)

http://www.snopes.com/critters/mishaps/dognap.asp

Cheers

Dave

Poodroo
17-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Lol Dave. Just shows that you can't always trust what you read in the papers. I might do my own myth busters thing and stand on a beach feeding chihuahuas to pelicans. ;D Nah don't worry people, I am only kidding and wouldn't actually do this despite how much I loathe the little yapping furballs. :-X :P

Poodroo

bigjimg
17-08-2008, 08:22 PM
While we're on the pelican theme,going back a few years ago a group of a few mates,my older bro,and myself were camping for a few days at Katherine Gorge,having a breather from travelling.There was a resident pelican in the park which wouldn't leave us alone,one day at lunch we were making mince jaffles on the single burner gas cooker,my bro had waited patiently for his turn,when he finally turned his steaming hot jaffle out onto his plate old mate the pelican came from nowhere and scooped up the jaffle and pissed off across the park making the loudest rackett,but he never dropped his prize.We all sat and pissed ourselves laughing as there was no more bread left.Still cracks me up.JIm

Outsider1
17-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Here is the original full clip of the Pelican eating the Pigeon. It did not go down as easy as the news clip showed it!

PO5ifLzLYiU

Cheers

Dave

mik01
17-08-2008, 10:19 PM
man thats crazy!
lol it cracks me up that last image of it sitting there shaking as the poor pigeon still flaps in its guts...

szopen
18-08-2008, 02:33 PM
I work in a chicken primary plant (abbatoir).
As we are not far from the sea there is a number of pelicans hanging out in the back of the plant (and a few hundred seagulls as well), hunting for scraps etc.

Plenty of good stories around.

Best one: there is another business a couple hundred meters away, fabrication workshop.
Down the flypath.

About two years ago they had an "accident at work". An employee in the yard got hit on the head and shoulders by a chicken falling from the sky.
I guess that mid flight a pelican decided that a 3kg chook carcass was a bit too heavy.

wags on the water
18-08-2008, 03:02 PM
It looks like the peilcan has had too many pidgeons......

bungie
18-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Ok, no urban myth this one. About ten years back my folks owned a house on 25 acres just outside Kin Kin in an area called Moron Group, and a business in Gympie. Each morning they would drive off to Gympie to open the café and the Chihuahua would follow them down the drive to the gate about 50m from the house. At work one morning and a neighbour 400m down the road from the house rings them and says he has seen somebody walking around the house, dad says “sodd all I can do I am 40 mins away”, 10 mins later same neighbour rings, “the person has walked down your drive with a box under his arm”, again dad says “sodd all I can do”. Two hours later, they get a phone call from a different neighbour from the other direction. He is at the Pomona Vet surgery with my mum’s dog, and he starts to tell them what he saw. As they drove off down the road to work, the dog sat at the gate for a few minutes, watching the world go by, sniffing the cows scratching his ass and whatever else dogs do when we are not watching, and then turned to walk back up the drive to the house. Got about ten foot from the gate and a @%$*ing great eagle drops down and grabs the dog in its talons and starts to gain height, now Pancho was not much of a pooch but it could fight like all crap when its life was in danger. He thrashed around enough that the eagle dropped him from about 10 – 15 feet up, dog hit the ground with all four legs spinning, shot up the driveway with the eagle doing a U turn and screaming up behind the dog. Now the dog must have been shit scared because it beat the bird up the sloping driveway, up the stairs, onto the deck, and under a table before the bird could catch up with him. According to the neighbour, the only reason the bird didn’t finally catch the dog is because it wing span was greater then the space between the posts on the veranda so it couldn’t fly in after him. Now the scary bit is the posts are 8 feet apart, makes for one bloody big bird. The dog? Well he cost a small fortune to put back together the eagle had torn it guts up quite bad with its claws, but it lived for a few more years, but was VERY cautious about going outside.
And you will not find this one on snopes as it did happen :D

nuggstar
19-08-2008, 02:32 AM
this bugger in the pic had a go at me yesterday just as i was taking the pic. he tryed to take the tailor right from my hands wile i was crouching down taking the pic. i stood up quick and tryed to kick the crap out of him but he was just out of reach. i did manage to let my tailor go ok but the queenfish i got on the next cast got munched by the creep. then it took off mid thrugh one of my cast and i came so close to hitting him with my lure, i new that if it hit him i would have lost my lure.

Lovey80
19-08-2008, 04:26 AM
Bungie, I would definitely beleive that one. An old frind of the family live out Roma way and had many similar stories. Feral cats of any size were fair game.

Cheers

Chris

fRuItCaKe
19-08-2008, 07:35 AM
You should drown the bloody things where possible.

Down our way they are an absolute pest.

A few flew in from inland waters and took up habitation on one of the Five Islands.

Now there's about 1000 and they have driven off all the other birds and destroyed the habitats.

Personally, I think they should be culled. They are a nusiance now like seagulls.

Bob H
20-08-2008, 08:11 PM
You should drown the bloody things where possible.

Down our way they are an absolute pest.

A few flew in from inland waters and took up habitation on one of the Five Islands.

Now there's about 1000 and they have driven off all the other birds and destroyed the habitats.

Personally, I think they should be culled. They are a nusiance now like seagulls.
totally agree, they should cull the bastards that sit on every lightpost across bribie island bridge,try riding a bike to work every day and have one of those flying cane toads crap on you ,try riding back home to have a shower ,dry reaching all the way,and when one gets the car , hit the wipers then instant white-out, i am waiting for an accident to happen then maybe they will put some wires up to keep them off the poles,suppose the greenies love seeing them there but they are a nuisance...............bob

oldboot
20-08-2008, 11:02 PM
There is one good thing about pelicans.......... they arent as noisy as peacocks........fortunatly peacocks taste better;D .

cheers

samsnap
21-08-2008, 01:04 PM
A few years back while heavily pregnant with my daughter we went fishing in the Caboolture Creek - pulled up at the ramp and I Stupidly thought it would be nice to feed the left over pillys to the Pelicans - I waddled my way down the slippery ramp (mistake #1) pillys in hand (mistake #2) YEP! arse up, off the end of the ramp, the tide was out and into smelly, shi**y Muddy Caboolture creek - bait went flying up into the air and the law of gravity - ended up upon me - and said Pelicans SWOOPING down upon me in a feeding frenzy - so here I was trying to desperately clamber back onto the ramp with these stupid birds attacking me, covered in bait, mud, feathers and what ever else with my Husband and other onlookers having the best laugh ever. To add insult to injury he made me strip before getting into his new 4X4 only offering a very small gym towel for a very pregnant wife! 8 years on - the pelicans can get stu**ed, the little one loves to fish, I drive the new 4X4 and just bought him a new boat last year.- BUT never forgave him. Cheers Sammy