PDA

View Full Version : 435 Hornet Hints

Haphazard1
17-08-2008, 09:44 AM
To all the 435 Hornet owners / users / fans!!

Guys / Gals,

I am looking for advice on two fronts.

I have a Quintrex 435 Hornet wide body. It is fitted with a 40HP Yamaha 4stroke outboard with tiller controls. The package is six months old and has about 25 hours use. It currently does about 28 – 29 knots (52 KPH) according to the GPS. It has the standard propeller, a Quintrex front casting platform, plus a few bits and pieces which would not add any considerable weight to the overall package. As I have 40 litre tank and only do day trips at the moment, fuel consumption isn’t an issue.

Question 1, What “foil” would anyone recommend and why?
I would like to fit a foil to the outboard to give more control over tilt and trim to get the nose up. It doesn’t seem to lift a lot at the moment. I also do a majority of my boating / fishing one up so this would help with being quicker onto the plane, be able to get more control of bow height and allow me to plane slower.

Question 2, How do I get more speed? Different Prop? Would the foil affect the speed? I would be happy with another 3 – 4 knots. (Am I being greedy - but don't we all want more - boat speed that is)

Any advice / hints will be appreciated.
Cheers.:D

Haphazard1
23-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Where are all the Quintrex owners? Surely someone out there has a Hornet and has the same thoughts.
I have thought about sharpening the propellor, has anyone done this with any success?

What foils are people using? Brands ect??
cheers,

gofishin
23-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Hap,
A 40 4/ on a 435 is always going to be a bit ar$e heavy one-up. I have seen plenty with foils, but be wary of foils in smaller boats, especially if the motor is set low on the tranny.

The Hornet hull shape is such that it runs pretty flat compared to a mono/std tinny etc. With the deep flared fore-foot you want them that way anyway, else the ride wont be as smooth.

As for extra speed from a taller prop, what revs is your current WOT, that's what is important? 29kn is not too bad in a 435. A taller prop will make it harder to get onto the plane too, especially one-up.
cheers

Toddy_again
23-08-2008, 11:28 PM
I reckon you are doing alright to get 52kph out of it considering its a 40hp.I only get 55kph at best out of mine and and its got a 50hp 2 stroke.
Regarding foils...I have a permatrim.I like what it does for my boat.Stops the nose up thing when you take off,plane at slow speeds and I never get water over the back when I stop.I did lose a small amount of speed though.But not enough to make me want to take it off.

Toddy

udlman
24-08-2008, 04:54 AM
To get better speed you would have to go a bigger motor. I had a 390 with a 40 on it and was getting 65-70kph out of it(was the fastest sub 4m boat in any of the bass and bream comps). I did also play wit the prop a fair bit and ended up running a cupped 13" stainless. I initially ran a stingray foil, but went to SE sport 300 and it was awesome. It also helps to have hydraulic trim & tilt.
The hornets run very well when you can get them to run on the foam created by the keel entering the water at the bow.

Hope that helped a little, Feel free to ask any other questions if you like.

Cheers, Brad.

BR65
24-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Top end speed isnt bad mate, I squeeze 51km/hr out of my 4 meter hornet with 40 four stroke yammy, one POB, trimmed up and light load, so a 40 on a 435 is probably a bit on the light on side of motor ranges. My mates got the 435 with a tiller steer 50F yammy, he is very happy with performance, but it is noticeably thirstyer than my 40.
Sorry, cant help with foil info. Also agree with gofishin about the running flat thing with hornets. Great impoundment boat though, love mine.

cheers
brian

TheSaint
24-08-2008, 04:34 PM
You won't get speed if the add a foil as the foil causes drag so even if you did play with props you would only get the same speed as you do now without the foil..

aaron_gilmour
24-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Hi Hap,

Although i dont have a 435 hornet my old boat a 420 explorer trophy had the same motor as yours. I was averaging 24kt but found trim really didnt lift the front much.

Fitted a se sport 300 and trim resonses was much improved, gor on plane faster and could notice bow lift with trim adjustment. Top end speed improved due to better bow lift thus less boat in water which reduced drag and = better speed.

Since then was able to sit on 26knt.

Hope that helps

Haphazard1
25-08-2008, 12:43 AM
It is interesting that no one has come up with any thoughts regarding the association between foils and speed. I agree with aaron_gilmour that if you can get more of the boat out of the water, you can sometimes actually get more speed. Also what are peoples thoughts on the propellor getting better water "grip" with a foil as it also give a bigger cavitation plate area.
I previously had a 4.9m Markham Whaler and fitted two home made foils made from 6mm aluminium and the control over the trim was unbelievable. I believe it also helped with speed as it allowed me to get more boat out the water and not suffer from "porpoising".
Sounds like the SE sports 300 foils are the go?
Being a Hornet wide body 40 is the maximum HP rating for the hull so I can't go bigger this way.
Thanks for the hints so far, keep them coming./