PDA

View Full Version : Bringing new technology into old fashion boat building

BrewGuru
16-08-2008, 05:36 PM
The 1949 Waiben as some of you would be aware, is having some major work done to her ,all structured around safety, reliabilty and user friendly,
So far:

Old DC board and wiring gutted, replaced with new
Old HF system removed and a new shore power system installed
Old TMQ auto pilot and green screen valve operated plotter replaced with new lowrance system
Old yanmar auxillary that drove refridgeration/freezer system and deck hose replace with waeco new technology 12 volt fridge and seperate fridge system and Jabsco 12 volt deck hose.
AGM batteries installed 4 x 260 amp house batteries and 1 x 180 amp cranking battery.
4 BP solar panels were fitted prior to refit and a 160 amp alternator fitted to main.

New Icom 505 VHF and command sytem for rear deck, with DSC and connected to GPS plotter that show ships within range.

Old instrumentation board with wiring ripped out and replaced with new instrumentation and CB and led usage lights.
CCTV in engine room and rear deck with comms and lights.
8 " screen intalled on the new console switchable to either site

Lowrance Radar fitted prior to fitout.
LED lights replacing incandesants, new lights over bait board and BBQ area.

Anchor rode counter (all chain never new how much we had out)
80 amp battery charger and hot water systen when connected to shore power.
2000 watt inverter connected to 5 GPO's and additional 1200watt inverter as a back up.
On board PC with internet access and national australian charts.

thats all I can thinkof at the moment, my goal is to make her as safe and practical as possible so I can cruise the East Coast of QLD in relative safety.

trev1
16-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Far out , you've had a big spend. I hope all goes well.

Horse
16-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Those upgrades will see a few more generations of use for the old girl
How does the chain counter work?

BrewGuru
17-08-2008, 02:59 AM
Those upgrades will see a few more generations of use for the old girl
How does the chain counter work?

there is a magnet fitted to the windlass, the revolutions are counted and converted to meters with digital read out in the wheelhouse