PDA

View Full Version : Boating Ettiquette

CB77
14-08-2008, 11:07 PM
How many of you take mates / aqaintances out fishing and they dont offer to buy the bait, throw in for fuel or worse help clean the boat after the trip, they are also the bastards who hog the good side of the boat when the fish are on and get their lines in first and the same blokes that spread their gear from one end of the boat to the other.

It shits me some of my mates say Ill just meet you at the ramp, well no you bloody wont youll meet me at my house and return to my house where you can help wash and clean out the boat.

Dont get me wrong its not that these guys are Aholes they just dont get it.

Then Ive got some good guys who chip in for everything.

When I go out with in others boats I am allways offering to help out and dont piss off until the boat is clean and packed away, then everyones had a good day and one bloke not stuck cleaning up etc.

My boat ettiquette:
I am not a free charter boat.
You come you clean.
you come you chip in for bait and or fuel.
you come keep your gear neat and tidy in my boat.
you come you will throw out the anchor.
You come you will not whinge and or bitch. (or you may become the bait).
Dont bring your whinging missus and / or Kids, I left mine at home for that reason.Sometimes its just easier to go on your own.

spears
15-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Your boat etiquette:

You could not have explained that any better.Absolutely spot on..Been there too.

Sometimes its just easier to go on your own.
I’m getting that way too.

Hang on a minute..Wrong attitude was thinking of myself to much with the above reply.

I’ll be a nice guy and ask them when will it suite them to turn up for the day.
Or organize to pick them up and drop em off
What’s their preferred alcohol beverage
Would they Prefer a hot or cold lunch
Set up their tackle and bait up for em
Undo knots,unhook fish,scale em and fillet them.
And thank them for being kind enough in coming out for the day.

sparkyice
15-08-2008, 03:08 AM
kind of depends, for me.
if it's a newbie that don't know jack, i don't have high expectations.
but- if he shows no sign of being willing to try and learn how to help out,
he might not be invited again.
if i take the same bloke out twice and he's obviously not going to pitch in, thats about it for him.

cb77, please take no offense, but are those blokes your in-laws?:furious:

kind_cir
15-08-2008, 05:20 AM
How many of you take mates / aqaintances out fishing and they dont offer to buy the bait, throw in for fuel or worse help clean the boat after the trip, they are also the bastards who hog the good side of the boat when the fish are on and get their lines in first and the same blokes that spread their gear from one end of the boat to the other.

It shits me some of my mates say Ill just meet you at the ramp, well no you bloody wont youll meet me at my house and return to my house where you can help wash and clean out the boat.

When I go out with in others boats I am allways offering to help out and dont piss off until the boat is clean and packed away, then everyones had a good day and one bloke not stuck cleaning up etc.

My boat ettiquette:
You come you clean.
you come keep your shit neat and tidy in my boat.
Dont bring your whinging missus and / or Kids, I left mine at home for that reason.Sometimes its just easier to go on your own.

Totally agree. I'm a deckie and I do all the above when I go out with a mate. Had the experience last time of another fellow along and I taught him the ropes and he still didn't pitch in and left all the dirty work to me. In the end I explained I was a deckie on this tub, just like him and told him to get off his ass and pull in that anchor rope while I was in the process of prepairing the berly. He has not been invited back since.

trymyluck
15-08-2008, 05:31 AM
Lucky for me I guess that the missus is my deckie most of the time, we used to do a lot of bush camping with a social horse riding club and its funny how the same people used to turn up when they knew all the setting up would be done and be the first to leave.
Mark

aussiefool
15-08-2008, 05:32 AM
For Me as a deckie, (Don't have a boat)the few times that I have been invited out for a fishing trip, I'm at the arranged spot at least 1/2 an hour before hand if I can with car parked and gear ready. On the first trip I let the skipper know that I will do anything he asks but will not do anything untill he dose ask.(don't want to put him off his routine) I will ask if the bungs are in though.
I expect to pay for a share in the fuel,ice and bait (or bring my own even when told not to), to dropping and pulling the anchor,cutting the burly if needed. The only thing I DONOT like to do is tell the skipper where we should try and fish, his boat his marks his decision.
Always bring my own gear for the style of fishing we are doing.
Cleaning the boat down and storing the gear away to me is part of the trip unless the skipper wants to do it themselves. I never leave till the skipper says I can.
As for any fish I rarely take any home for myself unless it is one I have caught myself and really really want to keep.

For me being asked out on some else's boat is a real privilege and not one to be abused or taken for granted. My gear is always ready to go in the shed at a moments notice so if I get a late call and I am free I just grab it and go.
that's my view as a deckie
Aussiefool
Andrew

Quaker
15-08-2008, 06:39 AM
And I thought it was just me who had the scabby bastard mates.
I've had a couple suggest we should go fishing again, my reply was "Yeah no worries, I'll call a charter & organise a trip. Their response: "Oh, that'll cost heaps."
Me: "Yeah, not like my boat that runs on fresh air, has free bait, free food & drink & cleans itself & puts itself away".
Then you just get the blank face WTF look.::)

nigelr
15-08-2008, 06:47 AM
Spot on CB77!
The difficulty can be in the communication. Some people may not know what to do/what is expected of them.
If they do know what you expect, and still don't contribute, they only have themselves to blame if not invited again.
I suppose the other side of the coin is when you take guests, so to speak, where you supply and do everything for them as part of the outing.
Loved the part about the whinging, man that would set one's teeth on edge!
Andrew and noboat, I'd be suprised if you fellas have trouble getting a berth!
Cheers!

CHAPPY
15-08-2008, 07:46 AM
I find it has a lot to do with there home life. The bloke whose wife or mother is still doing EVERYTHING for them will expect you to do the same.
My little 15 hp does not require much fuel and we make our own ice at home so the only cost is may be some pillies but, I do expect a hand to clean the rig at home.

I think i am a bit selective of who I invite also.

Do you think with the cost of fuel, people are inviting people they normally would not to offset the fuel costs?

I would rather stay home than fish with someone who I do not realy enjoy there company

Chappy

STUIE63
15-08-2008, 07:49 AM
I just loved rule 7 . but that is a good list . aussie fool and noboat if your ever up this way your welcome for a trip
Stuie

TimiBoy
15-08-2008, 07:57 AM
I've had wonderful deckies who are happy to help out in every way, even a couple of Fitters who put a new hub on my trailer for me at the ramp! Thanks to Wags and Cheech! Top fellas!!!

I would add to the list of "not come againers" - lighting a smoke on my boat!

It is important to communicate with people. I do expect folks to help with fuel, but they need to know how much it will be - my CC685 will happily burn 130 litres in a big day, of 95 or 98 RON. 3 guys, it can be 60 or 70 bucks each, plus bait. So some folks have come out not knowing how much she'll use, and had a shock at the end. But 2+ tonnes of boat use a little more gas than a 4.5 metre tinnie.

I have also said to some I don't want fuel money, for various reasons. I love it when they insist on paying anyway - now that's a great deckie!!

Cheers,

Tim

Pedro Jnr
15-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Guys,
I only run one decky when I go wide (Haines 530F), still the same with the old carby 2 stroke I can easily burn 80 litre of juice + oil + ice + bait + tackle, etc she adds up.

My only rule for new potential deckies I tell them they pay for half the trip costs (usually about $70 - $80) and they take home half the fish (after they help me clean the boat!)

Bloody good return on investment for the deckies when you have to pay $30 a kg for good quaility reef fish fillets at the shop, send them home with 10 - 20 kg's of fillets and thats a return on investment the late Kerry Packer would have jumped at!

Darren

Pete62
15-08-2008, 09:11 AM
I can only agree with all the frustrations vented in this thread, and wholeheartedly agree with the comment about what goes on at home life. The only way out is to communicate your rules b4 a trip, if the decky doesn't like it, tuff.
Aussiefool, there is a house for sale just up the road from me, I really think u should buy it.................
Cheers, Pete.

Luxyboy
15-08-2008, 09:57 AM
I don't think it is home life. I go out in a mates boat and another of his mates comes all the time; this guy lives out of home and has to fend for himself. But will not lift a finger and when asked looks at you, looks away and unless you stare him down or ask three times he doesn't do it. My wife came out once and she did more than this guy.

Now i will anchor, drive, take fish off hooks, supply drinks, pay for fuel, supply skiing equipment and spare towels, tow the boat and wash it down afterwards.
All in thanks of being allowed to go out with him. So why is it so hard for people to do?

It just sh!ts me to no end that the other fella gets to come out at all but it's one of his good mates so I can't throw him overboard with a big hook ::)

ROBENDOG
15-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Everyone chips in for fuel, including me.

Everyone brings something as requested by me (ie: ice, beer and softdrink, food, bait)

Deckies pull anchors (Have really helped them out by buying an achor lifting float).

Deckies baits pots, throws pots and lifts pots.

There are exceptions to these rules.......

Fix or help fix something on the boat - free trip.

One bloke couldn't come on trip, but has a contact, and still supplied awesome supply of bait and said he would do the same when he finally makes trip.

Also have had a couple who conveniently have something on requiring them rush off before cleaning, and forget to chip in for fuel. They get the benefit of the doubt. (maybe genuinly forgot, maybe tight week and embarressed cant chip in???????) Do it again and they dont get anymore invites.

At the end of the day I try not to get too uptight about it all, after all for me it is all about relaxing and having a good time with mates, and if I work myself up about it and dont enjoy fishin I may as well sell the boat.

black_sheep
15-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Well said mate. I occassionally take out 'non' fishos' and expect to supply everything and do all the work but that's usually a one off. All the guys I regularly fish with know the rules. It's rare that a word needs to be said.

Secret is to pick the right crew and stick with them.

pog mo hoin
15-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I agree with all of the above, the only exception to the rule as was covered is if mates or work associates have done you favours that have been good to your bottom line than they get a free trip, if you have to ask then don't have em back I recon. I generally take the boat to car lovers or the like on the way home and they are still with you then, so the $20.00 odd it takes to gerni everything generally gets offered there as well.

Dirtysanchez
15-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Easy - I inherited a micro tinny with a 6hp on her, I can launch in anywhere and it costs about $5 for a half day out, and with using more and more SP lures, buying bait isn't a huge outlay ;D

DR
15-08-2008, 02:27 PM
time restraints mean i usually fish solo, but when i do take someone out it's for a day on the water to relax, fishing is secondary . I don't ask for anything as i am usually going anyway, with or without them. All always offer/give something.

Only hard & fast rules are Be clean, no crap on floor.. NO smoking & 98% of the time No Bait, lures only as it's more enjoyable & a hell of a lot easier to clean up without dry bait all over the boat.

spears
15-08-2008, 03:15 PM
When you think about the whole deal it becomes an expensive toy.

If you bought a boat in a price range of $10.000 - $100.000 you probably got monthly payments.

Then you got repairs,servicing,rego and insurance.Replacing sounders or GPS.
It all adds up over the year.

So having a helping hand in sharing a days expenses shouldn’t be a big deal for petrol,bait and maybe launch fee.
Their really shouldn’t be any expenses by the owner, maybe the crew pay for the whole day.

That’s if they knew what things really cost to run a boat over a year and for that days outing.

But its unusual that none of the forums seem to have a link for boat pooling where 3 or 4 owners go out in one boat..common in the united states.

roz
15-08-2008, 03:18 PM
You've hit the nail on the head.

good topic.

Call me strange but it's common curtesy to offer $$$ for fuel, specially if it's a long haul out to spot X.

Sometimes the offer is declined, it's really bad form not to offer IMO.

The most appreciated person is the one who helps me clean up the boat and the fish.

I have everything needed in my boat, so I usually ask an offsider to leave their gear at home unless they get really precious about a particular rod and reel, other wise there simply is NOT enough room in my VC.

I think we've all struck someone who just doesn't get it... lucky most people are good value.

cheers roz

death_ship
15-08-2008, 03:43 PM
i hate the whingers and the ones that scratch the boat when gettin the anchor in, they get told to shut up and they are last resort next trip. i am a cranky skipper for those types.

chop duster
15-08-2008, 03:55 PM
death_ship,
I'm hearing ya mate, especially when the fish aren't bitting or its blowing a gale.

So here is another one for you all!
What do you do when one of your decki's turn green and can't stop puking?

Mossy247
15-08-2008, 04:30 PM
totally agree, I wonder how they think the boat will clean itself, even when you say cut your stuff up on the board I don't want stinky pilly heads everywhere... Yeah most times they do chip in but yeah pee off at cleaning time, drop them home etc, I think us abused boaties need to group together and leave the A-Holes on the jetty - We all have the same expectations, we can't go wrong. :p

dreemon
15-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Funny how plane simple it seems to let out the anchor, then someone throws the " somehow it got tangled:" over the SIDE of the boat instead of letting it drop over the bow roller? then " can I L . . use that lure ?" and cut bait on anything nearby, then they say when they want to go cause they ran outa piss, I don't ask for fuel often only cause mostly not much gets used ,

sometimes you can hear yelling/swearing in anouther boat, and it can be funny, but not when it's happening in your own, best part is there's allways a story after most boat trips;D

dogsbody
15-08-2008, 06:53 PM

My boat ettiquette:
You come you clean.

Ok you've got your boat etiquette,,,now you just have to tell your mate's ;)

Email it to them before you go out.

Dave.

TimiBoy
15-08-2008, 06:54 PM
death_ship,
I'm hearing ya mate, especially when the fish aren't bitting or its blowing a gale.

So here is another one for you all!
What do you do when one of your decki's turn green and can't stop puking?

Pat 'em on the back and chuckle quietly. Someone else's seasickness is as funny as someone else's whack in the knackers. And stay out longer!!!

It's always funny! ;D;D;D

Cheers,

Tim

spears
15-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Pat 'em on the back and chuckle quietly. Someone else's seasickness is as funny as someone else's whack in the knackers. And stay out longer!!!

Cheers,

Tim
Your a cruel man..but i like it

Wahoo
15-08-2008, 07:27 PM
i brought the boat for me.... and i knew its going to cost $$$$ to run/maintain, i have never asked for a penny, they have offered but i never taken......... to me its a real pleasure to have a few great mates to share my outings, they always wash my boat and clean the gear with a few drinks while doing this, after that, we have a huge feast on fresh fish and a few more beers to top the night off, life too short, enjoy what you got

Blackened
15-08-2008, 07:37 PM
G'day

Pardon my ignorance, but it seems as many of you have "Aquaintences" but not many have "Friends"

Dave

Lovey80
15-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Totally agree with all of those points. A man or woman that hands large quantities over of thier hard earned gets the tittle skipper for a reason. Hence the deckie term. Deckies pull anchors ;) With the prices of fuel and even bait these days a common courtesy in chipping in is good nature (especially seeing the privelege is the deckies for getting the trip)

About a year ago I started fishing with Russ81. many times now I have gone home feeling jack for one or another of the above points as mostly I am his deckie as he has only been out in mine once. For no lack of trying I nearly have to shove cash at him ("na shee'll be right it'll even out when we go in your boat") I have 40hp he has a 115. and about 20 trips in his to 1 in mine. The funny thing is with the washing as were mad as each other we 9 times out of 10 fish we'll past the time that our other halves have got the shits and time taken to get home is a premium.

maybe things will swing back around when i get my KC2400? (Stil dreaming)

Cheers Chris

mikeyh
15-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Excellent thread...
Like TimiBoy and others have said pretty important to communicate because most non boaties have totally no idea how much fuel boats use....many think that boats are like cars. Currently boatless due to an expanding family but my last boat (9m flybridge cruiser) used to cost a bloody fortune to fill :o :o :o - some guests would even sit on the boat there at the fuel wharf when I filled it up and say "wow that costs a helluva lot to fill" and then not even offer 1c towards the day. Like most others on this forum...they didnt get invited out again. Guess thats why it is a pleasure going out with people that know whats going on....

FNQCairns
15-08-2008, 09:27 PM
G'day

Pardon my ignorance, but it seems as many of you have "Aquaintences" but not many have "Friends"

Dave

Actually this is probably true, today being in a position to choose where you live and stay for years is fairly rare and getting rarer, esp for those who reached adulthood sometime during the last federal government.

I know that in the past as in today I have had acquaintances that would come fishing, different acquaintances that would come 4wding, different set for shooting, then dirt bike riding, rallying, whatever...all of the blokey stuff, it works well, true friends can spring from here given time although they would generally be included more than one of the above.

cheers fnq

Poodroo
15-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I can relate. Actually took someone out who I shall remain nameless because he is known on here and he :
1/ Met me at the ramp
2/ Enjoyed a day out on my boat
3/ Offered to pay toward running costs and conveniently forgot
4/ Didn't offer to meet at my place to assist to help wash the boat and unpack it
5/ Sent a PM stating he forgot to pay his share
6/ Said the next trip would be on him either in his boat or mine
7/ Neglected to stay in touch with me since.

The nameless person is also a fellow boatie so he would have a pretty good understanding of expenses involved in owning and taking a boat out for a day.

Fortunately for me this person is but one out of a few who I have had out in my boat and I am pleased to say that 99% of my deckies have done the right thing by me and have earned more trips out in the future.

Poodroo

CB77
15-08-2008, 10:14 PM
You've hit the nail on the head.

good topic.

Call me strange but it's common curtesy to offer $$$ for fuel, specially if it's a long haul out to spot X.

Sometimes the offer is declined, it's really bad form not to offer IMO.

The most appreciated person is the one who helps me clean up the boat and the fish.

I have everything needed in my boat, so I usually ask an offsider to leave their gear at home unless they get really precious about a particular rod and reel, other wise there simply is NOT enough room in my VC.

I think we've all struck someone who just doesn't get it... lucky most people are good value.

cheers roz

Is this girl the perfect women or what!!! Loves fishing, boats & cruiser utes!!!;D
My wife hates fishing (Actually she likes winding the fish in but whinges about everything else before and after) , loves whinging about the boat & how much time & money I spend on it and she hasnt left a panel straight on our 07 Voyager let alone throw around a cruiser ute.

CB77
15-08-2008, 10:27 PM

Cheers,

Tim

Mate,

I went out on a charter a few years ago, we werent catching a thing for two hrs, big swell came up and all on board started to go green except the skipper, deckie and myself, the crew handed out a heap of scotch finger biscuits and about 5 mins later about 9 heads over the side puking.

Thats when the fish hit, the deckie and I up the back of the boat reeling them in!!!

Turn a negative into a positive, carry the bisuits and they can still berley up!!

CB77
15-08-2008, 10:49 PM
kind of depends, for me.
if it's a newbie that don't know jack, i don't have high expectations.
but- if he shows no sign of being willing to try and learn how to help out,
he might not be invited again.
if i take the same bloke out twice and he's obviously not going to pitch in, thats about it for him.

cb77, please take no offense, but are those blokes your in-laws?:furious:

That reminds me rule no 8: no inlaws on my boat!!;D

lunchcutter
15-08-2008, 11:22 PM
yes for sure hate it hate it hate it no offer for fuel when we get back its time for them to go home say will be back later yeah right

Black_Rat
16-08-2008, 12:01 AM

My boat ettiquette:

You come you clean.

LMFAO ;D that's the joys of owning a boat ;)

Now that i'm boatless :( and getting a few invites on other boats I can appreciate the ones that are willing to help out at the end of the day 8-)

Too many times I said i'd wash the boat, dump rubbish and left me wondering why do I do it when all I want to do is to go to bed ;D

You need new deckies ! :P ;D ;D ;D

Apollo
16-08-2008, 08:42 AM
As a boatless fisho and boated sail boat owner, I take a different approach. I get to go out occasionally with trymyluck as a deckie (when his missus doesn't want to go out) and because I live closer to some of the launch spots, he will pick me up on the way through, so I don't go back to his place to clean up or wash his boat. I am sweet with doing the anchoring, and helping in any other way required. If we are heading north then I will meet him at his place and help with the clean up. With this in mine, our trips are usually for a few days, so I offer to organise dinners (camp oven roasts/damper, spagbol, etc), I always chip in for fuel, etc and if Mark needs a hand with a repair/maintenance, I would be there (that being said, mechanically I am only really good for handing over spanners, fetching beer or BBQing snags). Mark and I are great mates and if this arrangement doesn't suit him, he will tell me (I hope).

Tony M and I are heading to Monduran soon and reality (practicality) is that I won't be able to go back to his place to help clean up is boat, so I will offer to cover a greater amount of the catering and of course cover more than my share of the fuel.

On my boat, I expect to do the lot. It is my boat, easier for me to do it as it is really simple and costs stuff all to run.

FNQCairns
16-08-2008, 09:16 AM
My place is not on the way to anywhere so it's not really practical to expect the fellow day tripper to help with the cleaning, I also have a few highway speed km to travel too and from all launches so when back at the ramp I need the time to potter a little to ensure all is shipshape and tucked away to my satisfaction.

Here the decky might still be hanging around out of politeness and me not feeling the need to waste their idle time with chitchat (even if I enjoy it) when they could or would rather be heading home, dam this civil society!:) the trip is over, so the on the water illusion of the decky and the boats skipper role is finished with.

Apart from the general cleanup before pulling anchor on the water all other matters of cleanup/washdown are the owners responsibility IMO, unless away on a trip together.

Only ever had one on the water argument, from a long time mate, he asks about trips every now and then - I am afraid it is never ever going to happen....an on the water 40km from land argument is enough to leave a bloke shellshocked, so grossly out of boating culture!

I remember reading on a forum here or elsewhere someone relating an overnighter they did with a new decky who just so happened was having a fully blown psychotic episode! holy crap!!!

cheers fnq

Murks
16-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Interesting thread...I pay for my fuel all the time, I figure the deckie is someone I enjoy being with and I don't like fishing alone so the way I see it is the cost of the fuel is irrespective as I want to be there in any case....The only thing that I do accept is that they pay for the bait, this has not been a request of mine they just do it without even asking so I guess I am lucky......The only time I buy the bait is if I am getting organised prior to a trip but my mates always offer to pay something....As far as cleaning the boat goes, I would prefer to do it myself as I am very particular as to the degree of cleanliness I demand....good thread though and those with mates that don't do what they want...simple don't take them and get new friends
Brett

Jabba_
16-08-2008, 10:59 AM
The way I work it is, if we have a big day on the water and burn heaps off fuel, then we split the cost equally... If we just go to the inner reefs, I 'll pay...
After all, I supply the rods, the tackle, 2st oil and off coarse, maintain the boat which we all know is not cheap....

The last big trip cost a total off $240, not including oil or lost tackle... There were 3 onboard so it only cost each $80 each...... For one bloke to coff up $240 is a bit rich I recon... but $80 each is a far and reasonable....
And at the end off the day, all I ask from my deckies is to tidy inside the boat. Throw out the rubbish and pass out all the gear.... I wash the boat myself.....

I have one mate (my best friend) who regulary comes out... I have requested he gets some off his own gear, only so he is fishing with better quality gear rather then my budget stuff I give to the deckies......

mik01
16-08-2008, 01:10 PM
i brought the boat for me.... and i knew its going to cost $$$$ to run/maintain, i have never asked for a penny, they have offered but i never taken......... to me its a real pleasure to have a few great mates to share my outings, they always wash my boat and clean the gear with a few drinks while doing this, after that, we have a huge feast on fresh fish and a few more beers to top the night off, life too short, enjoy what you got

i agree mostly with you Wahoo.. I bought the boat cos i wanted one - i expected the costs associated and am fully prepared to pay for it all myself, and maintain it myself.

I strongly think that its not my mates responsibility to fork out for my rego, insurance, maintanence etc - I mean if it comes down to that, why do you even have a boat if you have to worry about little things like that? some of you guys sound like you are operating a business

i could fish by myself everytime if i wanted. sometimes I want company and will ring around the mates. my mates are all good - they will offer money, and I will take some (small amount) for fuel - or just tell them to bring some bait or ice and thats it. I figure they are my mates and I enjoy being with them as much as they enjoy the fishing opportunity - ie we both 'win'.

if an 'acquaintance' comes on the boat, they pay half for everything. this is because 9 out of 10 times they are the ones asking me to take them out and they haven't 'earned' a free ride off me. these people are really only coming once anyway and never really expected to come again.

all deckies man the anchor - thats a given!

no one is ever expected to come back to my place and clean the boat - in fact an offer is appreciated but always refused - thats my responsibility.

like Wahoo, life's too short to worry about a few $$ here and there if I have had a great day out with a mate - I know I always get something back in return - a few beers at their place, invite to the footy, the odd golf game for free - whatever.

fair enough to everyone here who thinks differently and wants the cash, cleaning etc - you just have to be upfront about it BEFOREHAND - set the boundaries and there can be no room for arguments later.

I don't reckon its enough to just 'assume' a boatie or fisho 'knows the rules' about $$, cleaning because they might have different 'rules' to you.

squizzytaylor
16-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Personally I would neither expect or ask for fuel or "expense" money, I have a 2stroke 60hp side console and an average day may cost me $20-30 in fuel and oil, I also fish exclusively lure so bait is not an issue and I make my own ice.
I fish occasionally on a mates bertram and its chev does use a significant amount of fuel and therefore generally offer fuel, however at times I have snaffled the odd tackle bargain etc and passed this on so it tends to even out, on big trips all expenses are split evenly between the crew.
I tend to fish solo 90% of the time or with one of the kids though as the boat is my "escape" however FRIENDS are always welcome.

Geoff

Poodroo
16-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Personally I would neither expect or ask for fuel or "expense" money, I have a 2stroke 60hp side console and an average day may cost me $20-30 in fuel and oil, I also fish exclusively lure so bait is not an issue and I make my own ice.
I fish occasionally on a mates bertram and its chev does use a significant amount of fuel and therefore generally offer fuel, however at times I have snaffled the odd tackle bargain etc and passed this on so it tends to even out, on big trips all expenses are split evenly between the crew.
I tend to fish solo 90% of the time or with one of the kids though as the boat is my "escape" however FRIENDS are always welcome.

Geoff

I might sell my boat and come with you from now on. ::) ;D ;)

Poodroo

SKUMMY
16-08-2008, 03:10 PM
jeez makes me appreciate the missus she packs everything the night before gets me out early, feeds me, chops the bait an berleys, lets me pull in the big fish, wipes the boat down all day, cleans.guts an cooks the fish an I bitch cause I got to pull in the anchor!

FNQCairns
16-08-2008, 06:53 PM
jeez makes me appreciate the missus she packs everything the night before gets me out early, feeds me, chops the bait an berleys, lets me pull in the big fish, wipes the boat down all day, cleans.guts an cooks the fish an I bitch cause I got to pull in the anchor!

yeah yeah...then you rolled over and woke up!;);D;D

cheers fnq

ifishcq1
16-08-2008, 07:33 PM
I agree with most of the post but you can tell the blokes that don't go far
a run up the creek or the islands is a freeby
wide is a different story

we travel up to 350km on a day and with the fuel and bait around $220 bucks and the catches working out at average $200-$400
if you want an equal share of fish then put in
otherwise the experience is all you take away

as I said in another thread deckies can't pay for fuel or it becomes a charter
they can pay for the bait

funny how the bait always costs the same as a share of the fuel

however my regular crew arrive at my place with tools and grog and do most of the maintenance on the boat or trailer
if they get a sniff I am doing something to the boat they all show up

I don't care if these lads are short on bucks they have already earned a start

SL

blue_mako
16-08-2008, 09:34 PM
I mainly crew on a well known local boat, most of the fishing we do is sportfishing for ajs kings or trolling, neither of us like bottom bashing much though do target snapper when they are around in numbers out at murphies, before heading out it is made clear what we are fishing for as I know in the past Robbo has had some issues over crew wanting to bottom bash instead of trolling all day.

Basically the boat gets pretty dirty when tuna are pulled onboard or worse dorado/mahi and there is cleaning involved which we share over a white can or 2of jimmy at the end of a trip, often we will catch a large fish such as a wahoo or a mahi and it is filleted and shared.

I always pay my way, usually a trip including towing expenses and days supplies comes in around the 200 mark which is split.

Troy.

tin can marlin
16-08-2008, 10:59 PM
I think you have nailed it cb77.

PinHead
17-08-2008, 02:59 PM

My boat ettiquette:

You come you clean.

get what ?????

mik01
17-08-2008, 05:55 PM
a run up the creek or the islands is a freeby
wide is a different story

we travel up to 350km on a day and with the fuel and bait around $220 bucks and the catches working out at average $200-$400
if you want an equal share of fish then put in
otherwise the experience is all you take away

as I said in another thread deckies can't pay for fuel or it becomes a charter
they can pay for the bait

funny how the bait always costs the same as a share of the fuel

however my regular crew arrive at my place with tools and grog and do most of the maintenance on the boat or trailer
if they get a sniff I am doing something to the boat they all show up

I don't care if these lads are short on bucks they have already earned a start

SL

so, without a paying crew - you don't go out wide?

did you buy your boat solely to charge paying guests?
don't get me wrong, costs are getting up there, but we all bought a boat knowing the costs involved - at least I did.

if I needed paying mates just so I can afford to go out there, then its time for me to sell up and take a charter every couple of months or so

thats my only point I'm trying to make here - you own the boat - you assume the financial responsibility of it.

courtesy states people chip in, but when it becomes 'militant' like some of the rules I read here - you've just sucked all the fun out of it. my mates would have a right to think I was a d*ckhead if I handed them a list of 'my rules'.

you've lost me when you pull out the calculator at the end of the trip, or demand I come back to your place to clean the boat (as if you wouldn't have the same amount of boat to clean if you went on your own??). just my opinion...

Poodroo
17-08-2008, 06:03 PM
so, without a paying crew - you don't go out wide?

did you buy your boat solely to charge paying guests?
don't get me wrong, costs are getting up there, but we all bought a boat knowing the costs involved - at least I did.

if I needed paying mates just so I can afford to go out there, then its time for me to sell up and take a charter every couple of months or so

thats my only point I'm trying to make here - you own the boat - you assume the financial responsibility of it.

courtesy states people chip in, but when it becomes 'militant' like some of the rules I read here - you've just sucked all the fun out of it. my mates would have a right to think I was a d*ckhead if I handed them a list of 'my rules'.

you've lost me when you pull out the calculator at the end of the trip, or demand I come back to your place to clean the boat (as if you wouldn't have the same amount of boat to clean if you went on your own??). just my opinion...

I agree Mik to a point. Yes we all purchase a boat with the intention of using it and running costs are normally something that we allow to be able to get out and do what it is we love doing however doesn't a boat (or car for that matter) use more fuel when we add more bodies and gear into it? I am not one who demands payment in fact when it is offered I normally try to knock it back but considerate passenger should at least make an offer. If they chose not to offer any financial assistance that is also fine but it sure narrows down their chances of getting an invite again. ::)

Poodroo

culbara
17-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Well my wife comes everywhere i fish she is good company never ever complains is nothing but supportive and one of the advandages is i can go fishing as often as i like or work will let me and looks after me so well out there

esky83
17-08-2008, 06:14 PM
I agree fully with the boating ettiquette explained in this thread, but still i do most of the work. I have a deckie that doesnt do much, but i suppose i cant complain I did marry her. lol

mik01
17-08-2008, 06:32 PM
I agree Mik to a point. Yes we all purchase a boat with the intention of using it and running costs are normally something that we allow to be able to get out and do what it is we love doing however doesn't a boat (or car for that matter) use more fuel when we add more bodies and gear into it? I am not one who demands payment in fact when it is offered I normally try to knock it back but considerate passenger should at least make an offer. If they chose not to offer any financial assistance that is also fine but it sure narrows down their chances of getting an invite again. ::)

Poodroo

yeah I guess more weight adds to the fuel consumption - but not much really.

yes it is fair and a courtesy to offer money - I expect it and always offer it - I'm not advocating no money changing hands.

but I don't calculate the exact amount, always settle for less than 'equal share' (a nominal amount) and am always happy to perform my own cleaning and maintanence.

getting uptight over a few bucks or a bit of hard yakka would only ruin all the enjoyment I just had out there...

maztez
17-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Im the deckie on the Mistress ...along with my grandson Adam . Brett and I share the costs of running the Mistress both in running costs as well as maintenance .Age does have some privileges however as the majority of trips Brett and Adam do the cleaning and filleting as I'm not as spritely as I was and I also don't take any of the catch.As for pulling the anchor ...well thats for my son and grandson to handle their the muscular ones.
Im just thankful that at this stage I can still manage to get out most trips and enjoy the great sport of trying to catch a bloody fish ...haha
cheers Terry

Scalem
17-08-2008, 06:57 PM
It takes a while, but I now have a great circle of deckies that will usually chip in after a day on the water. But the difference these days is mostly the changes that I have made, not my deckies. Because they are all a great bunch, I don't finish a days fishing by getting out my checklist and comparing how they have complied or failed my expectations- why? Because I would have gone anyhow, with or without a deckie, so their company is only a bonus. I used to whinge and moan, especially after a day water skiing, where I usually break a handle, or a footgrip, or run over a rope, but I found that getting up tight about dipping into my own pockets only ruins a good day on the water. Having said all that, there are definitely those who won't get a second invitation to come out, where it goes beyond being taken advantage of. One bunch of blokes( aquaintances, not friends) hired me ( free of charge as a favour!! My BIG mistake) to run my boat for a day water skiing at Maroon Dam, which was their idea of a bucks day out before one of them got married. Appointed time was 11.00am. By 1.00pm, nobody had showed up, so I drove back into Boonah where I had mobile range, and rang one of their parents. I was told one of the 3 cars had mechanical trouble, and they were now on their way, so I turned back, and waited at the dam till 3.30pm - still nobody, so I went home. No messages on my phone for hours afterward .....
To this day ( about 3 years later), no compensation for fuel, I had bought new ski ropes too, and no apologies for the unfortunate set of circumstances that occured that day>:( That's about the worste, so now, anything less doesn't rate close:D

Scalem

Nico.d.R
17-08-2008, 07:14 PM
i normally fish the creeks and rivers so most of the time i put 35 bucks and get 2 trips out of it , i dont expect cash for fuel and when it is offerd i normally knock it back (unless im short on cash) , i can see that it would cost a lot more to get out further to the reefs and think it would be fair to share the cost between the crew .

cheers nico

Wahoo
17-08-2008, 07:14 PM

my day trip is about 200Ks, overnighter a little more,

PinHead
17-08-2008, 07:15 PM
I have had a few Ausfish members come out with me at various times..all have been great company...the company is better than any monetary compensation.
Have done a few contras..gone out with others on their boats...things like that..all evens out in the end. Never accept money from anyone for a trip and never expect them to help clean the boat..rather do that myself. They have all offered and always declined, and it will stay that way. That is just the way I prefer to run my boat.

cbruh1
17-08-2008, 09:28 PM
I have had a few Ausfish members come out with me at various times..all have been great company...the company is better than any monetary compensation.
Have done a few contras..gone out with others on their boats...things like that..all evens out in the end. Never accept money from anyone for a trip and never expect them to help clean the boat..rather do that myself. They have all offered and always declined, and it will stay that way. That is just the way I prefer to run my boat.

Next time I'll just slide the money into your esky and follow you to your house and jump out with the hose :)

But with me, If I am skipper depends on who I am taking,

If its parents, then mum organises food for the trip, dad helps with loading and unloading and some cleaning. They don't have to do it, they just do. If I take my Nanna out she has her gear and lunch ready and we are away. I look after Gear/ Bait/ ice/ fuel/ cleaning etc.

If I am taking a friend, they need there own gear and food, I look after the bait and fuel, if they are bored enough to help me clean they are welcome to it, It takes 10 mins from arrival to home to be sitting down relaxing (more if we catch anything for filleting) no need to pay for anything, just aslong as we are having fun, it will even itself out.

If I am deckie, then Its skippers regulations. I will meet you where you say to meet, I'll bring what is needed, I'll offer to pay for fuel, bait, etc and offer to help with cleaning of the boat. But its up to the skipper as to whats going to happen.

If you communicate before you go out for a day of fishing then there should be no problems, If your requirements for somone to come on your boat are to pay for fuel bait and help clean then tell them before you go out, you shouldn't assume people will offer, as most of us fishos are not liscenced fishing charters you can't ask for money to take somone out fishing.

Just my opinion and experience.

spears
18-08-2008, 12:49 AM
RESPECT AND DOING THE RIGHT THING

I think a lot of these answers are going to depend on how often a boat goes out to sea.

If your going to go out once a week and have a crew come out on a regular basis then putting some money towards something would help.

Its just that the owner of the boat shouldn’t have to carry the crew week after week.

If only the crew turns up with the bait and pays the launch fee that’s fine by me and helps with the anchor,and a bonus if they stay back and help getting the trailer unhitched and maybe a wash then I would think that this is a great crew and mate.

And having that type of person as crew it just goes to show that they want to go out for the enjoyment and fish.

It too shows respect for you for giving them the chance to be invited.
Its called doing the right thing by ya.

If any one out there who’s a boat owner and gets nothing in help or bait or anything then you might be getting used up.Had a few of those myself.

I’ve had guys that turn up late and we miss the right time for the tide cause they slepted in.
Who use my bait and leave me so short that I have to stop fishing.
Who never seem to have the right sinkers or hooks and always asking me for some.
These guys that need to get going home once we get back to my place and then want to have half the fish that they didn’t catch.

These types of guys that just stand back when you:
Launch.
Retrieve.
Anchor retrieve.
And bring nothing.
Then you’ve been out there and caught nothing after one hour and they want to go home.

These are not the type of guys to have around especially when a problem occurs on the water as they will sit back and probably think its not my boat.

Compared to the one’s that are their and thinking on the same wave length.
A lot of it is common sense not rocket science.

Understandably every one has their own levels of expectations,but after 2-4 outings one gets a feeling of what type of character we have onboard.

So its not so much about money but being a part of the whole deal which makes it enjoyable day out.

coucho
18-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Has she got a sister?

Ryan.S
18-08-2008, 09:21 AM
CB77 you hit the nail right on the head, some poeple just dont know those unwritten laws, if you shouted them a beer they probly wouldn't shout back either. (Sounds like my inlaws)

CB77
18-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Has she got a sister?

Make that two sisters??

spelchek
18-08-2008, 09:50 AM
As a habitual deckie I just cannot fathom NOT chipping in for fuel/bait/drinks etc or NOT expecting to be involved in the cleanup. Just seems like common courtesy - i guess upbringing has a lot to do with it.

timddo
18-08-2008, 10:28 AM
This is hte best example..

Invited a mate fishing offshore, So he brings a reel ( no rod), no bait, no tackle, no lunch.
Get to the ramp - he hops onto the boat and sits there- don't want to get wet,
Get back to the ramp. He sits in the boat and waits for me to haul the boat up on the trailer. Gets off and sits in the car.

In my life, he will never go fishing with me again.