PDA

View Full Version : Oil injection replacement

Lovey80
14-08-2008, 08:51 PM
:(Hello all,

I have just had my 97 Evinrude 2 stroke 40 hp engine serviced and have been told that my oil injection pump is about to die and needs replacing. I am told it is likely to cost up to $600 to replace it. I haven't been through this before so some guidance would be great. I could always discconect it and go back to mixing of course but are there other options for fixing the injection?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Pazz01
14-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Hi Chris,

From my understanding (which is very limited) I don't think there is much else to do.

My 200hp merc did the same thing and got quoted a very similar price, and i said no way. I mix it again. All is fine. Maybe a little more smokey.

If you do find out an alternative i'm all ears.

Pazz

Hornet Rider
15-08-2008, 06:41 AM
:(Hello all,

I have just had my 97 Evinrude 2 stroke 40 hp engine serviced and have been told that my oil injection pump is about to die and needs replacing. I am told it is likely to cost up to $600 to replace it. I haven't been through this before so some guidance would be great. I could always discconect it and go back to mixing of course but are there other options for fixing the injection?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Chirs, have been through a similar experience. Have 2 brand new OMC Evinrude VROs at half of what you've been quoted. You'll have to do some checking to see if they will fit your motor. One is part number 0175160, the other is part number 5004558. PM if you're interested.

cheers, Mark

Fed
15-08-2008, 07:32 AM
I'd be asking them how they know it's about to die & needs replacing.
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html
It might be time to find a new outboard guy.

Noelm
15-08-2008, 09:06 AM
I guess it all comes down to the fact that the Oil system is convenient, does not normally give problems (although if it does, it is a tad disasterous) it can be repaired, or it can be replaced, I think your model is right at the time they changed to the newer system, that was even more reliable than the old one, I think I would spend the dollars and be done with it.

Roughasguts
15-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Well yeah how do they know your pump is about to die!

You could say a Turbo charger is about to die mine lasted 385K but if I replaced it with a new one that could last just a trip to the shops.

Have you got a oil warning system on your motor ? Limp mode alarm Etc Does it work ???

If you have a working oil warning system, I would ... as I do anyway carry 1 Litre of two stroke oil with me in a bottle. So if the oil system ever packs it in which it never has, I would just pour the two stroke oil in my fuel tank. Drain the fuel filter that would carry about a litre of un oiled fuel not good.
Then do a few quick stop starts to slosh the fuel around then drive her home with the pre mix oiling up the motor.

Lovey80
15-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the help lads very much appreciated. Thanks Hornet I will mostly likely take5004558 off your hands i will confirm with a PM in the next few days

Cheers

Chris

BM
16-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Chris,

BRP do actually list VRO repair kits but as far as I am aware no Australian dealer has ordered any in through the Australian channels. You would need to order it direct from the US.

How the mechanic "crystal balled" the imminent failure is of interest to me.

Cheers

Lovey80
18-08-2008, 02:02 AM
I believe it was a combination of my father telling him that it was using excess oil and I have a oil (2stroke) i believe running from the prop down the skeg after using the boat and it sits for a while I'm not a mechanic but am pretty handy with engines and to me neither are connected. The VRO should have nothing to do with the oil leak down the skeg right? Personally i think the engine wasnt using much oil at all.

Cheers

Chris

Hornet Rider
18-08-2008, 06:45 AM
Chris, oil dripping down the leg sometime after use, after you've flushed the motor & it's been sitting isn't an indicator that the VRO is broken, & to measure oil use get a permanent marker pen (I use a white metal marker) & mark your VRO tank into say 1/4ths. Start with a full tank & measure your oil useage by the hour or ltr or whatever is best for you. Even excess or under use of oil isn't a positive indicator that the VRO is the problem. Isn't your 97 Evinrude fitted with systems check - gauge with 4 x red light indicators (2 of which are for low oil, & no oil) or at least a horn indicator? If so, & if the senders in the motor are working then that should give you either an indicator if there is a problem, or no indicator if there isn't a problem. Any chance of getting a second opinion? cheers Mark

Fed
18-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Measure the usage and if it's high then look for an air leak in your fuel line.

Spaniard_King
18-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Lovey 80.

I ask you this.. can you afford for this engine to expire through an oil injection failure .ie blow up.. your looking at a 2-3k rebuuild if it does. These VRO pumps are known for there ability to fail at any time. Even if fitted by a BRP technician they will not guaantee its reliability. So if your engine goes bang would you expect them to repair it??? I bet they wont.

Be safe and disconect the oil injection and start pre mixing.. my 2 cents :P

Lovey80
19-08-2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks gents for all you help. I have a think about it. Either way it's not a massive problem premix or fix. I'll be upgrading in 6 or so months so it just has to last that time. I think the resale will be better with the VRO working. I wonder what i'd get for a trade in?