PDA

View Full Version : The Wide Bay Adventure

scrubba01
14-08-2008, 08:00 PM
The Wide Bay Adventure

Arrived at Tin Can Bay boat ramp at 2am (were supposed to be there by 11.30pm) proceeded to launch the boat and headed to the anchorage just behind where the barges leave Inskip Point. After setting the anchor we headed to the bunk to get some sleep, 2 .5 hours later the alarm was ringing in my ear. Leaving the Wide Bay bar just as the first rays of light were hitting the horizon. Conditions were near perfect, if a little on the cold side as we made 30knts through the bar crossing. Along for the trip were the usual suspects Team "Assassin" a 6.5 m WA plate boat and our selves Team "Awesome" in a 6.8m fisher centre cab.

Day 1
The plan was to fish our way up to the South Gardner Banks spend the night there and fish our way back down the shelf the next day. All started out well making good time to our first mark, with not a lot showing we decided to keep moving while the going was good. It was then we got a call from Team Assassin it seams their GPS had decided to blank out. It looked like we were going to have a shadow for the rest of the trip as it was going to make it difficult for them at night time they would have to follow us to the top of every drift to make sure they didn't lose us. We continued up the coast picking up a small Maori Cod and the odd parrot here and there through the day but mostly the fishing was slow. We sounded around for some shallower water to anchor on later in the night then headed to the shelf to see what was about. Started with a couple of rosy job fish and perlies then got smashed by a good size AJ taking a couple of photos and letting him swim. As the sun went down we headed in a little closer and found a good show 1st drift yielded a 15 pound Red and about the same weight snapper back around for another drift and 2 more reds came on board. Team Assassin consists of 2 concrete truck drivers who start very early and an 11 year old and operating on 2 hours sleep for the last 2 days was catching up with them. The decision was made to take them back to the shallow water to anchor up then hit the fish again in the morning.

Day 2
Awoke after a fantastic sleep to glassed out conditions clawing out of the cab and having a stretch and a look around something was missing,:o namely Team Assassin checking the GPS to see if we had drifted through the night. No we were still at the same location. A radio call was put in to Team Assassin to see where they were, the call came back "we are where we were last night" we answered back no your not because we are here. Of all the times this could have happened they had snapped an anchor rope through the night and with no drift alarm to wake them they had drifted off. With no way to tell us they're location it was going to be fun trying to find them. We told them to stay where they were, we pulled the anchor to get an idea of the drift with no wind about we figured they had to be down this drift line, going with the current as we had hung that way all night as well. After searching for a half an hour with no luck and the sun now high enough in the sky to make out Fraser the call was made to head for the big sand blow just South of Indian Head. With a lot of "is that you " and "I think that's you" going on we eventually met up with them. Now 30 klm from the shelf and having used more fuel looking for Team "Drift Away" formally known as "Team Assassin" we decided to abandon the plan of fishing back down the shelf instead deciding to try a few new marks back in closer. Fishing was again very slow for the day and not a lot was added to the ice box.

All in all an adventurous trip with 384 klm traveled in 40 hrs on the water a couple of very expensive Red Emperor, Snapper, Maori Cod and Parrot. We set out to hopefully find some Red Throat and Trout spots, but ended up with good memories and a story to tell that will get better with age and a few beers. Most importantly everyone made it home safely. We're still not any the wiser why GPS broke as it is only 15 months old and the rope looked to be in good condition near the area of the break.

skipalong
14-08-2008, 09:13 PM
some nice fish there mate looks like an exhausting trip

scoota
14-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Hey Scrubba01,

Obviously alot of work went into planning a trip like that and as dissapointing the outcome was it was a safe return for all.

We have two GPS units on both boats I fish on, one being the quality primary GPS or Navnet and the other being a cheaper GPS with basic sea map or equivalant for back up. Always have both running at night when navigating and have both anchor alarms set overnight.
Sounds like you both have quality boats there and even an old Garmin unit like I picked up for less than $300 with sea map for a back up might be worth the investment for such times.
Planning the next attack I'm sure;)

Scoota...

TCSunCoast
14-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Sounds like a great trip, shame about the GPS.

Good to see you got a few for the effort, great read - something different.

How much fuel did you carry?

Tony

Spot82
14-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Hey mate, sorry to hear about the trip, looks like you would have got a few if it wasn't for the mishap. Weather looked perfect!

Me and a mate fished off Rainbow for little result yesterday only about 15 fish for the day with nothing to brag about.

Angla
15-08-2008, 12:17 AM
sorry to hear about the mishaps. Thats what can happen when you are not prepared I suppose. I also have a cheap second Garmin sounder. No map, just a plotter. My Navman unit turns off every time I crank the motor but I just turn it back on and its fine, touch wood.
I set both anchor alarms and then sleep tight.

Makes the fish expensive after a trip like that but the best thing is being safe back at port with a story to tell the kids.

Chris

wadeo
15-08-2008, 07:06 AM
great trip guys i now how drained you guys are just got back from di myself yesturday from a 24hr fishathon. top read boys and great fish thanks.
regards wadeo

scrubba01
15-08-2008, 01:07 PM
We do run a spare GPS in our boat an old grey scale Navman. We tried to swap this over to the other boat which also had a Navman but the fittings were different.

Tony we carry 350L in the tank and took along 2 jerry cans for safety we used 300L. We got to use one of the jerry cans when coming back through the bar, 2 guys in a 5m runabout waved us down. They had run out of fuel in the middle of the bar and had anchored up. Lucky conditions were perfect. We gave them a jerry can full waited till they filled up and went back to collect our gerry can, to they're credit handed over $50. Our good samaritan act done for the year. HA HA

Roo
15-08-2008, 01:27 PM
good onya scrubba. I bet they were very grateful for your help. Shame about the electronic gremlins giving your trip a work over. better luck next time.

backlash08
15-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi Scrubba, lots of hard work but never the less an adventure - thanks for the post
cheers - Craig

scrubba01
15-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi Scrubba, lots of hard work but never the less an adventure - thanks for the post
cheers - Craig

How's the new boat going Craig? When she's on the water you'll have to come along for a trip up there. The more the merrier I say, plus more people to help look for Team Drift Away;D

TCSunCoast
15-08-2008, 09:49 PM
We do run a spare GPS in our boat an old grey scale Navman. We tried to swap this over to the other boat which also had a Navman but the fittings were different.

Tony we carry 350L in the tank and took along 2 jerry cans for safety we used 300L. We got to use one of the jerry cans when coming back through the bar, 2 guys in a 5m runabout waved us down. They had run out of fuel in the middle of the bar and had anchored up. Lucky conditions were perfect. We gave them a jerry can full waited till they filled up and went back to collect our gerry can, to they're credit handed over $50. Our good samaritan act done for the year. HA HA

A very eventfull trip, bet they were glad to see you. Thanks for the info, all I have to do is find somewhere to put an extra 205L drum in my 20ft centre console and I'll be right behind you. That fisher must be all fuel below decks!

Tony

Fishing_Freddy
16-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Hi Scrubba, a good read. I might have to take you up on a trip soon as I'm getting with drawl symptoms. Good to hear you all got back safe, I bet team "drift away" doesn't sleep so well next time.
talk to yu later Ken:beer:

aerordauto
17-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Hello scrubba it sounds like it was going to be the perfect trip but went bad.
it was good to see some nice fish caught.
The spare gps wiring can be cut at the power supply and earth u can find this easily by following the wiring back from the unit to the harness then to supply.
connect usually the red to the battery or isolater and black to earth.
Angla your gps cuts out each time u crank this is due to a low battery voltage to the unit on crank.
to overcome this use your second battery as a house battery to run all your electronics, this way your cranking batttery is not losing charge using electronics, starting every time.
the house battery will not drop when cranking and the gps will not turn off.
i hope this helps out.
cheers mark.