PDA

View Full Version : E-tec reliability update

BARRA73
14-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Just thought I would put this little bit of info on about the reliability of my neighbours E-tec. He is a pro fisherman and runs a 75hp E-tec on his main boat and he has just racked up over 400hrs in absolutely no time.
He took it for its first major service and he was stoked with the condition and reliability of the motor. He said there was a minor electrical issue but for the amount of work he's put it through it came through with flying colours. Hopefully a bit of good news in relation to the doubt about the 300hr service. Please don't take this as a post to try and upset other owners brand just what I've been told by a guy who's had all types of motors and uses them harder than anyone on this post could ever imagine.

Cheers.

BaitThrower
14-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Sounds like hes looking after it well. Most motors will last for a VERY long time if properly used, maintained and not abused.

Splash
14-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Barra.

Would you mind asking neihbour why he chose the 2 t OVER a 4T and why he chose the etec - nd then report back on this post?

SPlash

darkside
14-08-2008, 09:31 PM
i have a friend in the same situation , Fishing Pro, bought an E-tech , treats it like crap , never flushes the motor , runs at nearly full noise everywhere, has had both his 300 hour services and says he and the mechanic love the motor . its reliable , lives on neglect and is fantastic on fuel, by the same token i would never buy a second hand motor off him .

ozbee
15-08-2008, 09:10 AM
there is quite a difference between the torque and acceleration between a four and di two sorry to say i own both but that does not mean one is better than the other the smooth idling ability as well as smooth running as a four troke levels of has its advantages to. different fish for different applications.

ozbee
15-08-2008, 09:44 AM
your weight carrying is all over the place when pro fishing nets anchors fish weights eskys sometimes empty so for some the two stroke is better ploughing over sand bars etc not uncommon to get it hot occasionally just let it cool a bit and start again . mid range prop try to cover all situations . yes flog the motor but that's where your income comes. others have deep water so there happy with fours strokes either way you get rid of them before warranty runs out