PDA

View Full Version : Which boat to buy?

Jigs Down
13-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Ill start off by saying Hello to all as this is my first post on this forum.
I am looking at getting a new boat to replace my existing 5.5 meter center console plate boat.
I live in Darwin and in the last few years I have pretty much stopped fishing for Barra and concentrated my efforts on vertical jig fishing off shore and want a boat suitable for off shore work.
I am considering a Haines 585R or 600R but have also been told that the Stabi craft are something that should be considered as well.
I did read an article in a boat mag some while back that said how good they are even compared to glass boats.
I would very much appreciate any suggestions from people with experience with both of these boats. Or maybe another type that would be good for this purpose.
Going for a test run in them next week when the weather is up.

Cheers

Dezzer
14-08-2008, 05:57 AM
Gday

A search on either in this forum will give you some good info as there has been plenty (both good and bad) written on both.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=121331&highlight=Stabi+craft

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=66643&highlight=Stabi+craft

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=125668&highlight=Haines+585R

dodgyone
14-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Dont go the Haines. They are way overrated. Looked at the Trailcrafts? From what I hear they have an excellent ride.

chop duster
14-08-2008, 09:40 AM
that comment sure is a dodgyone!

ozbee
14-08-2008, 01:48 PM
damn i knew i was getting something wrong 680 HH was for the creek and my tinny was for the reef

bushbeachboy
14-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Have a look at the Polycraft boats mate. If you go to www.polyboatowners.com (http://www.polyboatowners.com) you'll find plenty of friendly people from all over the country who would be willing to answer your questions.

frogfuzz
14-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Go the Stabi - I have a 509WFR and it is brilliant. I have no hesitation in venturing offshore over the Caloundra Bar all the way out to the banks - all with a lazy 75HP (cheap to run!).

It isn't as soft riding as some glass boats, but it sure is safer. Stabi have just released a new model also - slightler larger than the 509 - Bush n Beach August ed. have a write up on it.

So long as i can afford it, I will never have any other boat. Its small enough for the creeks (goes in a .5 meter of water) and smooth riding/safe enough for offshore.

Jabba_
14-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Dont go the Haines. They are way overrated. Looked at the Trailcrafts? From what I hear they have an excellent ride.
That comment is so stupid, and for what I hear, you haven't been in a Hains Hunter 585R... So how do you know there over rated...

Personaly the Hains Hunter is my second most preferred boat, (after Seafarer)... The Hain's build quality, strenght and designed make them a top-shelf boat... I have no doubt that is would run rings around any similar sized plate boat.....

nigelr
14-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Jigs, how good are the local boat ramps, eg any pontoons available, will you be fishing solo or do you have a crew?
The glass boat would be heavier and more delicate, damn shame to scratch/ding up a nice glass boat due to poor ramp conditions etc. The tinny of course would be more durable, and presumably lighter and easier to handle.
It's probably accurate to say the glass boat would chew more juice than the Stabi.
Both beaut boats, for mine.
Cheers.

toothfish
14-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Hello JD have you thought about an Allison as a mate of mine has one & he swears by it. The ride is great & gives a stable fishing platform.bought it last year from Mr.T's when he was going strong,anyway good luck with your search & I wish I was up in Darwin with you during the winter months.

Jigs Down
15-08-2008, 02:13 AM
Jigs, how good are the local boat ramps, eg any pontoons available, will you be fishing solo or do you have a crew?
The glass boat would be heavier and more delicate, damn shame to scratch/ding up a nice glass boat due to poor ramp conditions etc. The tinny of course would be more durable, and presumably lighter and easier to handle.
It's probably accurate to say the glass boat would chew more juice than the Stabi.
Both beaut boats, for mine.
Cheers.

The local ramps that I use are quite good. Most of the time I drive my boat onto the trailer. Always fish with at least one other person and get them to back the trailer down after dropping them off. No pontoon here yet but they say its on the way.
Ill have to find out about the fuel usage.

Cheers

dodgyone
15-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Sorry if I offended anyone. Just had to stir Jigs Down for a bit.
There is a bloke I fish with that loves his Traily and will defend its terrible ride in anything more than glass offs.
Jigs Down had a little go at him on another forum as well. Something at least 1 other person here picked up on.
Hope the search goes well. Save a spot for me when Im up there next John.

Jigs Down
15-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Hello JD have you thought about an Allison as a mate of mine has one & he swears by it. The ride is great & gives a stable fishing platform.bought it last year from Mr.T's when he was going strong,anyway good luck with your search & I wish I was up in Darwin with you during the winter months.

Found a local dealer with a Allison angler 195 today and went for a look. Nice basic boat with a lot of deck space.
Does anyone know how the ride compares to the Haines ? If the ride compares well I could probably do without the bells and whistles and save some money.
I notice that the bow shape has a fairly sharp curve to it as opposed to the Haines and many other boats. Does this effect its ability to go faster over chop?

Cheers

littlemac
16-08-2008, 09:11 AM
hey Jigs Down,

i have the haines hunter 600r breeze and it is bloody brilliant, the wieght and ride in them is really good, i dont think you could go past it, have a look at the photo's the 600r does have a fine entry and large chines, would be a good choice but it is up to you and the budget

brett

Jabba_
16-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Sorry if I offended anyone. Just had to stir Jigs Down for a bit.
There is a bloke I fish with that loves his Traily and will defend its terrible ride in anything more than glass offs.
Jigs Down had a little go at him on another forum as well. Something at least 1 other person here picked up on.
Hope the search goes well. Save a spot for me when Im up there next John.
No worries dodgy...

Jabba_
16-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Found a local dealer with a Allison angler 195 today and went for a look. Nice basic boat with a lot of deck space.
Does anyone know how the ride compares to the Haines ? If the ride compares well I could probably do without the bells and whistles and save some money.
I notice that the bow shape has a fairly sharp curve to it as opposed to the Haines and many other boats. Does this effect its ability to go faster over chop?

Cheers

Are you saying the bow shap is fatter rather then narrow like a knife....

If that is what you are saying, then yes it will adverserly affect it's ride in the rough chop.....

CB77
17-08-2008, 10:22 PM
I went through the what boat to buy dilema a few months ago. It is hard to find one that fits all types of boating. Your Tow vehicle is another big consideration if you are looking at bigger rigs.

I really wanted a big platey but I have a wife who likes comfort and three small girls under 5 so it doubles as fishing rig and family boat, we have VE SS commodore so where limited to what weight we could tow.(its rated to 2100kg, the V8 would pull it no worries but it would be scraping its ass every where with that weight)

I ended up with the 2003 Haines signature 550c and we love it! A lot of buying this boat came about because of the deal, we got it very good price and it only had 63hrs on the motor ( verified by suzuki dealer) the whole boat has hardly seen the water.

We have had a few boats over the years and this one is the best.

My only dislike is it has a massive rear lounge which is awesome with the family but is has to be removed when going out serious fishing and it is a large fibreglass unit and a bitch to get in & out. I wish it would just fold down.

We also liked the fact that everyone knows haines so for resale when we upgrade it should hold reasonable value over a lesser known brand.

We got caught in a 2m swell for the 1st time not long ago & it handled it great.

Anyone who says haines signature is over rated hasnt owned one.

Our next one will be the 675F!!

Goldfinch
18-08-2008, 09:39 PM
I own the 2006, Haines Hunter Classic 600 with a Yammy 200HP 4 stroke and it's awesome. Every boatie that I have taken out on it just loves it for both stability and the fitout. It's not the best walkaround but the cockpit is just pure fishing magic. If you want any hints on fitout and extras please send me a PM. Happy to give you more info. I picked mine up for $65K with everything I needed.

Cheers
dave

Jigs Down
24-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Are you saying the bow shap is fatter rather then narrow like a knife....

If that is what you are saying, then yes it will adverserly affect it's ride in the rough chop.....

No not saying that. Ive circled the area in the attached picture that Im talking about.
Most of the other boats that Ive looked at have a more gentle curve coming off of the keel but if you look at the bow front on it has a very fine entry.

White Pointer
24-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Jabba,

You didn't tell us why you wanted to forego plate alloy for glass. I'm not familiar with the conditions up there but would be interested in the reason for the decision.

If you want to look at more family friendly fishing plate boats look at Fisher (a Brisbane manufacturer) or Barcrusher of Melbourne who have dealers all over the place. They both have a a wide range that should fit most needs and budgets.

White Pointer