PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Snapper bagout

Aquarius
13-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Howdy Ausfishers, Steven 78 and I headed out from the seaway at midday to try for some Cobia at the 18 fathoms.
Heaps of mack tuna everywhere but not a cobe to be found.
Steve had some fun with the light gear on the macks but we were after bigger fish today so the call was made to head out wide in search of a snap or 3.
Arrived at the 36ers and within minutes of our first drop we both connected to the fish.
The 7" gulps were weapons of choice today and they didn't let us down because after 2 hours fishing we had our bag of Snapper.
Both of us missed a few bigger snaps when the hooks pulled but hey i guess thats fishin.
Conditions this afternoon were nothing short of superb and with a moon over head and the fish on the chew what more could you ask for.
I would like to thank Steve and his mighty galeforce for the enjoyable time today offshore and i can't wait for the next trip.
Pic is of 7 snaps the other 3 we got after this photo so you will just have to take my word that we managed 5 each.
Cheers Brent

Aquarius
13-08-2008, 09:23 PM
sorry had to change computer to attach pics.

Jackinthebox
13-08-2008, 09:27 PM
That's better.

Oh yeah .... great conditions, bag out on snaps on placcies, what more could you ask for?

Nice haul & nice boat too mate, any current out there?

Mick

coucho
13-08-2008, 09:30 PM
hmm looks a bit rough out there!! congrats coupl eof good fish and looks like a magic day on the water

Aquarius
13-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Gidday Mick, hardly any current today but there was some when we were there on Saturday.
1oz jigheads worked real well you just keep feeding line out and then strike.
Cheers Brent

Jigs Down
13-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Nice fish and great weather. Best combination.
Those Gulps work well up in Darwin with our snapper too.

Steven78
13-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Many Thanks for coming along and helpping clean the boat Brent :) :)
It took us 25 Minutes to get from the 36's to the ramp 55kms per hour it was flat as a tack. The only thing we did see Pearlies I am yet to catch one.

Scalem
14-08-2008, 06:57 AM
So my guess is that if the bay doesn't play ball, going offshore is a good tactic to keep having fun on plastics::) I wish I could do the same, but Eventually I'll upgrade my little tug boat, so I can come home with a fish or two, unlike the drought I had again Yesterday.

Well done guys!

Scalem

Horse
14-08-2008, 07:02 AM
The conditions certainly looked great. There have not been too many bagouts in the Bay this season so its worth a bitof a journey to bring home a feed. What outfits were you using?

Aquarius
14-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Hi Neil, We both use Diawa coastal jigsticks matched with Diawa 4000 reels.
2500 Certates work a treat on the 18 to 24,s but you need a bit more line for the 36 fathom reefs.
Cheers Brent

Aquarius
14-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Hi Neil, We both use Diawa coastal jigsticks matched with Diawa 4000 reels.
2500 Certates work a treat on the 18 to 24,s but you need a bit more line for the 36 fathom reefs.
Cheers Brent

For Steve
14-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Great catch there Brent and Steven. Hard to believe the ocean can be so calm - it looks like a magical day.

Regards
Brad

MarkLong
14-08-2008, 10:22 AM
That halco colour you have on one of your rods is dynamite on spanish. Pitty the colour is disontinued cause i went trhough about 10 of them last summer.

bayfisher
14-08-2008, 10:28 AM
A good haul of snaps when the bay isn't firing and the conditions are right it certainly pays to explore a little further from home.

Cheers Chris

Scott nthQld
14-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Great fish mate, and you can't get better conditions than that...looks awesome!

MarkLong, I've found the red with black tiger stripe halco's are dynamite for spanish too. They stopped making them for a while, but if you get a few blokes and make up a bulk order of about 100, halco will make a special batch of them. That's what happened to the red ones I use, and now they brought the colour back due to its popularity. Worth a shot, and won't cost anything but a bit of time to try and place an order.

cobiaman
14-08-2008, 07:02 PM
great conditions and a great bagout, well done