PDA

View Full Version : Family weekend Sykes trip

Benno1
13-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Hey all,

Had another great trip out to Sykes on Saturday arvo with the family for an over night bash. Great trip overall with some nice lipper, trout, parrot and other mixed reef hauled in.

Picked up some nice fish (no record breakers), but all good quality. Also got bricked >:( several times by some big fish (have to up the anty and use some 80 pound braid I think :o ).

Here are some pics of the weekend (headed back on Sunday arvo - beaut weather and only 1hr 40 from Sykes back to harbour - 150hp Yamaha on the back only used about 110 litres).

Markdiver - the picture with the brag mat is just for you ::) .

Cheers
Dave

Fisher4life
13-08-2008, 09:57 PM
That's a good feed of fish there, should fill the freezer for a while.

I'm sure it would be an interesting trip taking the children out for an overnighter, never a dull moment.

Well done.
Josh

Benno1
14-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks Fisher...we're pretty lucky with the kids...they enjoy it just as much as we do...on Sunday we had a few seagulls landing on the boat...(i was making bacon and egss)...our 7yr old along with the 3 yr old took it apon themselves to be our bird scarers...so in between bites of bacon they would be screeching at these birds...making them do a lap around the boat...only to have them land somewhere else...it kept them amused for a while :P
Our daughter is our fish inspector as well...telling us what it is (hussar...chicken wire cod etc)...then helping with the release...we include them in everything...so they dont get bored :D

(Mrs Benno1)

scoota
14-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Sounds like the BIG kids have as much fun as the littlins Benno;D

Your definately an inspiration for getting the family involved or completely nuts...lol

Scoota...

Benno1
14-08-2008, 09:44 AM
ill take the 2nd option for a hundred thanks Scoota :P...dont get me wrong...its not all plain sailing...they have their WWF moments... :D...we bring snacks and stuff for them to do...but keeping them interested in the action is the best thing...as soon as either myself or Dad yell out we've got a fish...all fighting stops and its heads over the side to catch a glimpse of the prize...for example...our 7yr old had our 3yr old ina rear naked choke over touching the dvd player...(thankfully our 5yr old was asleep)...i yelled out that i had a fish on...the choking stopped...and i pulled a maybe 1foot long shark over the rail...as Dad kept the bitey end away from little fingers...they were stoked to be touching the shark...(tail only...my rule with all the fish we deck)...we enjoy it...so yeah maybe we are crazy :D

(Mrs Benno1)

For Steve
14-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Awesome Benno1. That truly is a beautiful part of the world. Great too that the kids get to enjoy it with you. That's what it's all about.

Regards
Brad

MarkDiver
14-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks Dave!
Great collection/catch of fish for one night. I'm not surprised that smallest parrot didn't make the brag mat LOL...I would've thrown that one in the pan straight away behind Sykes.
Tight lines_________

TCSunCoast
14-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Great catch, looks like the young fella's in heavan.

Well done on a great mixed bag.

Tony

Gazza.Boyne
14-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Some nice fish there guy's & it's great to see the young Benno's enjoying it too.

I'm still waiting to see that 1st legal red, but it's only a matter of time, you certainly get out there enough, i'm jealous.

Cheers Gazza

jtpython
14-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Got to love kids on the boat but they do get bored easy
JT
Good to see the haul of fish good on ya's
Cheers JT

Benno1
14-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys, yeah we are getting out there a bit at the moment (just making up for the last couple of years renovating houses etc)...and this wasn't a bad haul (no record breakers) and yes GAZZA, STILL lookin for that legal BIG RED, plenty of undersize again around the 50cm mark...
Hopefully get a few more trips out in the near future - always a spot on the boat for you too GAZZA :D

Cheers
Dave

Gazza.Boyne
15-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Dave,
I hope to take you up on that offer soon. Can't wait to get some time to get back out there.

Cheers Gazza

mangomick
16-08-2008, 10:19 AM
nice catch Mrs.......... keep up the good work

Benno1
16-08-2008, 11:28 AM
thanks for that Mango...we hope to catch up with you out on the water sometime :D

good things come to those who wait Gazza...we'll do a bit of weather recon...and arrange something very soon :D

(Mrs Benno1)

Dean1
16-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Hey Dave nice catch, especiallt the biggest redthroat and a nice moses in there. Good to get out amongst them hey.. Im hearin ya with the 80lb braid too bro. Deano.

Benno1
17-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks Dean :D...we spent a good few hours filleting fish on the Sunday (few cans of rumbo as well)...kept our coral trout whole as i like to bake them...made fish and chips with the parrot for dinner...turned out a treat :D
We're planning our next trip out already :P

(Mrs Benno1)