PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Cobes

bayfisher
13-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Headed out this morning with my cousin to see if we could nail a few cobes, as from all report there seem to be a few around. We left manly at 7:30 and headed out through south passage with high expectations. They were certainly around, my cousin was the first to hook up and I followed not too long after, all done and back by lunch time with 2 in the box. My cousins went 20kg and mine ended up being slightly larger at 22kg .

Cheers Chris

Benno1
13-08-2008, 05:05 PM
fantastic fish Bayfisher...not a bad day in the office :D...so what did the damage???...i can see a hook in the first pic...what was your bait???...were you trolling or pick out???...did you try any specific S/P's???
Thanks for the pics :D

(Mrs Benno1)

bayfisher
13-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Just live bait today, I had my plastic outfits with me to search for some snaps as backup if the cobes didn't want to play but they never even got a swim. Wasn't anchored just found some bait then drifted through with a couple of lives down. Simple but effective ;D .

Horse
13-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Nice work Chris. Were they near the spot I gave you?

bayfisher
13-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Not exactly but close. ;)

skipalong
13-08-2008, 06:09 PM
nice work mate great quality fish

Cobia Kid
13-08-2008, 06:22 PM
some great fish mate, gotta love big cobe,
also great in a fish curry, the firmness of the flesh is just right 2 keep it 2gether!!
cheers
jamie

backlash08
13-08-2008, 06:22 PM
good quailty cobes, well done

coucho
13-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Nice work guys, couple of fine lookin specimens there

T1
13-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Awesome Chris!! That would have been fun!

Take Care T

Aquarius
13-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Some nice fillets there Chris.
Must have been a buzz hooking up to those monsters.
We were going after cobes today on the Goldie but ended up with a bag of snaps instead.
Tell me are cobia fillets better than snapper fillets?
Cheers Brent

For Steve
14-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Fantastic Chris. Great cobes mate.

I've been trying to remember when I last hooked up with a cobia. It was 2003. 5 years is a long time between drinks. That's gotta change - need a bigger boat.

Regards
Brad

bayfisher
14-08-2008, 10:31 AM
some great fish mate, gotta love big cobe,
also great in a fish curry, the firmness of the flesh is just right 2 keep it 2gether!!
cheers
jamie

Your not wrong they have a lot going for them, big hard fighting fish that taste great ;D.

bayfisher
14-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Some nice fillets there Chris.
Must have been a buzz hooking up to those monsters.
We were going after cobes today on the Goldie but ended up with a bag of snaps instead.
Tell me are cobia fillets better than snapper fillets?
Cheers Brent

They are certainly fun to catch but can be also be pretty hard work ;D . There seems to be a few around at the moment so you will no doubt pick one up soon. They are also very good eating, its been a while since a had cobia but remember them as better then snapper (I'm cooking some up tonight so i will have a better answer for you then). One big plus is the amount of meat you get off one fish i think i will be eating cobia for the next month, the pressure is certainly off trying to bring home a feed next trip out ;D .

bayfisher
14-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Fantastic Chris. Great cobes mate.

I've been trying to remember when I last hooked up with a cobia. It was 2003. 5 years is a long time between drinks. That's gotta change - need a bigger boat.

Regards
Brad

Its certainly the time to get out there and get into them there are a few around, With conditions like they were yesterday you don't need a big boat either, mine is only 5m and there were a few smaller then mine outside yesterday.

death_ship
14-08-2008, 06:13 PM
nowhere near the quality of snapper IMO but great for curries

Horse
14-08-2008, 06:45 PM
nowhere near the quality of snapper IMO but great for curries
Each to their own. I rate Cobes, Cod, Parrot/Tuskys and Lippers all better than Snapper. Snapper taste like Bream to me;D

death_ship
14-08-2008, 07:34 PM
fair enough i reckon the cobes are a bit slimy and strong smelling flesh, jeez they crank up when u fillet them

cervelo
15-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Chris

Great effort, I'm looking forward to the next window to get outside.

Cheers
Glenn