PDA

View Full Version : Toonumbar Dam

bdowdy
13-08-2008, 09:45 AM
HI EVERYONE, well im going to try to hit toonumbar within the next few weeks ::) but just asking if any one has fished it lately and what they got and how, any help appreciated....?????? THIS WILL BE MY FOURTH ATTEMPT TO GET TO FISH THIS DAM AS EVERY TIME IVE GONE TO GO ITS EITHER FLOODED OR BEEN PISSING DOWN RAIN:'( >:( ...HOPING TO GET THERE THIS TIME OR WILL IT BE ABIT EARLY TO FISH YET...CHEERS BDOWDY..BRETT;)

Bad_Bazza
13-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Brett,
I have not fished it this year but surface lures early are always a good bet and plastics (Berkley Bass Miinnows, Sliders, Ecogear) on light jigheads (1/4 or 3/8 depending on depth) fished ALONG the weed edges and rock faces rather than casting to them seems to be much more effective. The reason being the fish lay pretty tight on the weed edges and rock walls. Casting along it leaves your lure in the strke zone for all of the cast not just a brief period.
Hope this helps.

Bad_Bazza

bdowdy
13-08-2008, 10:49 AM
THANKS BAD BAZZA. THIS TIME OF YEAR OKAY BUT....or will they still be schooled up..thanks brett bdowdy.

vinny78
13-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Hey Brett,

The pic on my phone wasn't good enough. Here she is...

bdowdy
13-08-2008, 03:06 PM
done really well there mate,, we will have to give it afew runs when i get up there,,ONE DAY,, cheers bdowdy..brett

Whitto
13-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Hey Vinny,......Joshua Boats have always been a favourite of mine they are so well built and very much look the part....U have one nice outfit.....like the colours as well......Cheers Whitto

bdowdy
14-08-2008, 09:24 PM
cmon guys girls any info on toonumbar as if i dont fish here will have to fish ballina area. cheers bdowdy,,brett

Whitto
15-08-2008, 07:34 AM
cmon guys girls any info on toonumbar as if i dont fish here will have to fish ballina area. cheers bdowdy,,brettYour not having much luck on the info front Brett....U would think someone's been there lately....keep trying is all u can do.......Whitto:(

stonecold
15-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Sorry mate havnt heard anything cant help at this stage but if I hear anything I'll let you know

bdowdy
15-08-2008, 03:23 PM
thanks stonecold was thinking of giving you a ring actually,,,will they be biting or has it been too cold down that way... cheers bdowdy..brett

stonecold
15-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Bloody big frosts for the last week mate. As cold as its been all winter. I have lost track of whats happening up there to be honest. I'll see if I can track someone down on the weekend and get the lowdown.

bdowdy
15-08-2008, 04:00 PM
thanks heaps dont want to finally get down there and the fishing is slow . cheers bdowdy..brett

bchaser
17-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Ha Brett,

went down there this weekend for a sat afternoon/sun morning flick for no fish so not much to report here. tried casting to trolling nearly everything in the tackle box for bairly a bump but good to put a rather consistant dam to the test in some of the colder weather.

didn't find where they were schooled up and didn't bother to check the temp, it was cold.

will give it a few weeks before im back, bring on spring!

bdowdy
18-08-2008, 05:52 PM
bchaser thanks heaps mate that saved me a trip and will now wait till it warms up. again thanks heaps brett..bdowdy

stonecold
20-08-2008, 10:53 AM
G'Day Brett spoke with a few of the boys on the weekend and theres not much to report at Toonumbar yet. One of the crew went to Clarrie Hall a week or so back and managed 10 or so fish for the day.

bdowdy
20-08-2008, 06:04 PM
thanks mark..STONECOLD ill wait till it warms up,,, maybe after the flathead classic in october, keen to get some bass on surface and hoping they will be firing by then.. cheeers bdowdy,,brett

rabbi
21-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi Bdowdy,
Went there last week and Zip, Zilch and Zero.
Water too cold yet. I always find they start up about the same time as Yellowbelly at Glenlyon Dam. Probly as the old timers say, When the silky oak trees start to shoot new growth, or mid September.
There have been reports of Tailor on the beaches at Ballina recently knocking the back end out of Estuary Perch/ Bass??? and the remaining half washing up on the beach so the river fish are still way down the river system.
I would give them 3 or four weeks.
cheers, Steve.

bdowdy
21-08-2008, 06:12 PM
thanks steve im SO KEEN TO FISH THIS DAM this would be around the 5th time ive tryed getting to toonumbar,,,, will have to wait till it warms up any tips appreciated and is the camping ground good for the family.. cheers bdowdy..brett

rabbi
22-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi Brett,
I have never camped there cause it is close to home but I have heard the camping amenities are very basic with pitt toilets and no shower block.
The cabins are better equipped if thats what you prefer but that sort of takes the fun out of it a tad.
Had limited success with the Bass there with 20 for a session being the better trip on S.P's and H.B's. Biggest being bout 47cm.
I know of some younger fisho's that frequent the Dam at twilight hours and have been getting cricket score catches of good fish with the onset to winter and the spring session.
The local rivers fire up about the end of September and thats good value.
Cheers, Steve

bdowdy
22-08-2008, 05:49 PM
STEVE wouldnt want to take a certain person to one of these creeks when i come down,,,, maybe i could take you cod fishing?????? cheers bdowdy..brett

rabbi
23-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Thats a pretty appealing sort of offer Brett. I used to come from cod country and its been a while since I have seen a big speckled fish.
I will send you a private message and will arrange some fishing with you as I have hardly ever knock back a fishing trip and know of some reasonable bass haunts. Maybe throw in another favourite target species of mine as well 8-)
Cheers, Steve.

Archer
23-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Hey Brett,

Sorry mate missed this post, Havent been to the Dam in ages reports ive heard have been sparse with a few guys getting a couple but most doing it tough.
Weve been hitting the River here in the yaks and doing very well on some lovely wild Fish that pull like there on steroids!!!!!
If you have a yak bring it with you mate and ill see if i can get some time to take you for a paddle up the river here. Much better than those fat lazy dam fish :P

Joe

bdowdy
23-08-2008, 03:47 PM
pm sent archer..cheers bdowdy..brett

Brad Clark
23-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Hey Brett

Check out the new Fishing DVD number 12. They have a good piece on Toonumbar Dam.

Cheers

Brad

bdowdy
23-08-2008, 06:38 PM
thanks brad always a good watch.. i suppose toonumbar will be hit big time if its on the new dvd now,, gotta get there SOOON....cheers bdowdy..brett

stonecold
28-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Gday Brett,

One of the local troopers fished a creek up towards toonumbar on the weekend for 1 fish....all of 4 inches long!

bdowdy
29-08-2008, 02:39 PM
thanks mark going to wait till it warms up mate will give you a buzz when i head down that way.. cheers bdowdy..brett PS AT LEAST THERES A HEALTHY POPULATION THERE IF THERE GETTING THEM THAT SMALL HEY8-) :)

stonecold
31-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Sounds good mate, I was a bit worried about the river populations after the floods earlier this year but they seemed to have come through reasonably well.

bdowdy
31-08-2008, 02:34 PM
well few local boys have organizd a trip for the 12th of september so will see what happens?????????

bdowdy
02-09-2008, 04:27 PM
just watched the fishing dvd vol 12 on toonumbar REALLY KEEN NOW FOR SOME BASS. CHEERS BDOWDY..BRETT

bdowdy
27-09-2008, 08:16 PM
well this is a late report but i ended up doing a quick trip to toonumbar,,beautiful spot,,, roads a ::) little rough,,,but me and a mate fished hard , only to land 2 bass which were really small:-[ :'( ,,anyway there was a huge colour change in the dam and i will be going back when it warms up some more.LOCAL FELLAS WERE GETTING A FEW ON THE NEW BLADE VIBES ....BETTER LUCK HOPEFULLY NEXT TIME;D ..CHEERS BDOWDY..BRETT...P.S FEW PICCYSsum