PDA

View Full Version : Tangalooma Wrecks camping

reggie
11-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi everyone,
I am interested in camping at the wrecks camping ground on moreton island. I have a 5.4m boat and would travel to moreton by boat. Can anyone tell me if it would be safe to leave the boat in the water overnight while camping on land there? Any info on the camp ground would be greatly appreciated.

Rumrunner2
11-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi Reggie

There are some really good camp sites south of tangalooma, I probably wouldn't camp at the wrecks themselves as it gets pretty busy. I have a 5.4m glass boat we take over fairly regularly and camp near tangalooma point. If you are worried about the boat you can always let it go high and dry overnight and sleep soundly knowing it can't go anywhere. Probably not the best time of year to camp over there just now for the regularity of westerly winds, choice spot in summer though as there is reasonable protection from SE-NE winds. Keep a close eye on the weather as the bay gets pretty sloppy, pretty quickly.

Best thing to do if you haven't done it before is to do a recon mission to check where you want to go and what gear you think you may need first. that way you can also see what others do and how they set up. Get some good weather and you will be hooked on Moreton gauranteed!

Good luck