PDA

View Full Version : First Ever Jigging Trip Off G/c Pays Off

1lastcast
11-08-2008, 08:19 AM
With good weather for the weekend and my mate had come up from nsw for a visit the call was made to go jigging off the goldie so sunday morning we headed out to the 50`s north of the seaway in glassed out conditions .

As i had never been jigging before ( well seriosly anyway ) and having herd so much about it my mate and i were keen as mustard to give it a go . The weapons of choice were a saltiga 4500 on a daiwa monstermesh rod and a stella 20000 on a tcurve jig400 .

So there we were jigging for the first time and within minutes i had my first hookup and after a short but very aggressive fight we had a 10kg amberjack flipping around on the deck and me with the biggest smile from ear to ear i sent him back to fight another day ;) .

The rest of the morning was very exciting hookup after hookup total for the morning was 12 yellowtail kings and 15 amberjacks a couple of little 2-4 kg ones in there but most were between 6-10 kg and all were released not to mention a couple of ones that could not be stopped oh well thats fishing .

Now i have very sore arms but i am loving it and now i have the jigging bug i`ll be back next chance i get ;D .

I have no photo`s but if my mate can email his ones to me i`ll post them up

Regards MONOSTRETCHO

damo600f
11-08-2008, 12:57 PM
hey mate sounds like a good day you guys had! Just wondering what size jigs and colours you were using as i am keen to learn and give it a go!

1lastcast
11-08-2008, 01:59 PM
damo we were using 150 gram black magic jigs they worked best also used 300 gram jigs and got fish as well used a variety of colours and it didnt seem to make much difference . that was my first trip and it was good to catch fish its a very exciting but tiring way to fish .

Have a go mate its heaps of fun !

PlasticFantastic
11-08-2008, 09:19 PM
What boat were you in, as I was out there with a fellow Ausfisher jigging that area in a 5.5m Centre Console and there were two other boats jigging near us.

PlasticFantastic

damo600f
12-08-2008, 01:52 AM
cheers mate, just wondering if u were over pinnacles or just normal reef? were they schooling vertically on the sounder?

1lastcast
12-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Plastic fantastic we were in a 560 mako cruisercab black and white started of south of the seaway then headed north about 10am and got fish at both locations how did you fellas go ?

damo pm sent .

Regards MONOSTRETCHO

PlasticFantastic
13-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Ok, we found the bait in well known area for small Kings and managed a couple every drift the biggest going about four kilo still good fun though. Had no other marks to fish off and it's like looking for a needle in a hay stack if you don't know where you are out wide. Still a good day out though.

PlasticFantastic

1lastcast
14-08-2008, 07:37 AM
32890We fished a couple of well known marks as well but we sounded our way north and came across some good ground and it wasnt that far from the well known spots so next time your out there have a good look and spend a little time sounding around it pays off .32889 hare is a fish i got on my phone not the biggest of the day but the only photo`s i have

1lastcast
15-08-2008, 08:14 AM
1st time adding photo`s not sure if it is working but here is a couple of the smaller fish as well as a whale i almost ran over on the way out ( needed a underwear change after that !!32893;D

For Steve
15-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Excellent trip MONOSTRETCHO. First time jigging and you've got onto some top fish there.

Years ago we jigged vertically for spaniards up north using home made jigs. Found it very effective - just as good as trolling lures. Usually we'd be doing both at the same time.

How did the arms pull up after that action?

Regards
Brad

1lastcast
15-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeh Brad The Arms Were Sore All The Next Day But It Was Worth It !

Seth
17-08-2008, 04:15 PM
awsome effort mate im yet to give the jigging a go but i have recently upgraded my rig so am keen as to get amongst it.

How long does it take to get to the 50s from the seaway?

Is there any certain moon phase or tide you fish?

What size line do you run on your saltiga?

1lastcast
17-08-2008, 05:34 PM
G`day seth only new to jigging myself so cant help to much butt run 30lb braid on the saltiga i have 80lb on a stella / tcurve on the boat too just incase i get into a patch of larger fish .
It takes around 45 minutes to get to the 50`s on a flat day .

hope this helps out a bit

Regards MONOSTRETCHO