PDA

View Full Version : 31kg of Cobia

Horse
11-08-2008, 06:59 AM
With the Bay being pretty quiet recently I thought a trip out of South Passage might provide a change of pace. With my brother Glenn (Cervelo) as deckie we crossed the calm bar and went in search of livies. A couple of mack Tuna distracted us but with a bit of fresh bait on nboard it was back to searching for livies. The normal bait grounds were very quiet but we got a few on the coffee rock in close.
We headed a little further out and started drifting over a good show in about 70'. We had a mix of plastics, livies and Glenn also started floating a pilly back down the drift line. It was the pilly that got smashed and after a drawn out tussle I sank the gaff into a 23kg Cobia:D .
Back up to the drift line only to find a boat anchored on the X spot. We got as close as polite and had two quiet drifts before I got a double hookup. Glenn cleared the other lines and it was decided to leave one rod in the holder and to concentrate on the first fish. My Penn Spinfisher jig outfit was folding nicely as 24kg braid peeled off. I got stuck into it and pretty soon had 19kgs of Cobia on the deck after a hood gaff shot by Glenn:) .
Back to the TLD that seemed to have hooked a minisub heading for NZ. I put some hurt on the fish and it put a whole lot back on me but eventually up popped a nice Cobe. We got a couple of gaffs into it and dragged a 31kg fish over the side:o . This is by far my biggest Cobia and by now we had more than enough fish on board so we headed for home and the big cleaning job:P .

Cheers

Neil

scoota
11-08-2008, 07:24 AM
Change of pace alright Neil, Must have been frantic!!!!

Big fish8-)

Scoota...

bobbyb
11-08-2008, 07:41 AM
nice work mate.

but i wouldent like to be around when you come home empty handed.;D

if i was holding that i wouldent be able to stop smilling:) :) :) :) :)

cheers.......

snapperbasher
11-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Good stuff Neil!!

I was thinking of hitting the cobes this week in that area thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers Lochie

bayfisher
11-08-2008, 09:18 AM
31kg :o that is definitely a mini sub ;D.... Good work

Cheers Chris

Pistol_P
11-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Fantastic Cobe Horse.

They get very wide and meaty....Big heads too.

Well done.8-)

Pete

Karl Inge
11-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Awesome mate!

coucho
11-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Nice work Horse thats a ball tearer of a cobe!!

frankgrimes
11-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Great Cobes mate!! There's some monsters being caught of late!

keenfishr
11-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Great fishing....did ya have many bustoffs? some lovely fillets in ur freezer!! cheers trav.

3rd degree
11-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Horse,

Thats one horse of a cobe!

Cobia for dinner by any chance?

Cheers

Jim

fleety77
11-08-2008, 03:07 PM
solid fish there mate.....

dogsbody
11-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Horse catches a horse.

You must have a HUGE esky.

Dave.

Custaro
11-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Nice session Neil. The arms would have been tired.

backlash08
11-08-2008, 04:42 PM
very nice cobe ...well done!

cobiaman
11-08-2008, 06:00 PM
wow, nice cobes mate, well done

Horse
11-08-2008, 06:01 PM
You must have a HUGE esky.

Dave.

It fitted the first one with its head cutoff but we had to make the storage area under the front seat into a fish locker;D . A tarp and a few bags of ice made a great cooler but the big one took a bit of work to get back out again::)

skipalong
11-08-2008, 06:16 PM
super fish mate

Steven78
11-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Well done Horse. They Are Big and very mean. Brent Jim and I were at the 18's off te goldy Saturday I hooked up to a Cob on the Glooms and Certate 2500r running 20lbs after about 1/2hour the hooks pulled. Brent and I saw you comming in I think we were in the cotton reach at that time let us know when your thinking about heading out side your more then welcome to Join us in the Galeforce and i am too chicken to cross the bar as i dont know it too well.
Take Care WELL DONE :)

Horse
11-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Well done Horse. They Are Big and very mean. Brent Jim and I were at the 18's off te goldy Saturday I hooked up to a Cob on the Glooms and Certate 2500r running 20lbs after about 1/2hour the hooks pulled. Brent and I saw you comming in I think we were in the cotton reach at that time let us know when your thinking about heading out side your more then welcome to Join us in the Galeforce and i am too chicken to cross the bar as i dont know it too well.
Take Care WELL DONE :)
Steven

Don't come looking to me for bar hints. I had to get the info from Outsiderskip. Pete told me more than enough to get by and there are a quite few guys here who can give you the right info. I used to run it quite often a decade ago but it has changed a lot. The fact that you are cautious should see you through safely in good conditions. On Sunday you could have rowed a punt through it;D .
I really want to have a crack at a Cobe on plastics and I spooled an Okuma Epix with 15kg but I don't think the Snapper Raider its matched with will be able to put on enough hurt. Time for a new rod I'm thinking;D

Cheers

Neil

reel scream
11-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Nice cobe Neil- thats a cracker of a photo the third one- hang above bar stuff:D .

Cheers Scott

Horse
11-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Nice cobe Neil- thats a cracker of a photo the third one- hang above bar stuff:D .

Cheers Scott

Yea Scott:-/

I took that one. The dodgy ones were take by my brother;D

madmackrel
11-08-2008, 07:23 PM
8-) Awesome session Neil, wish i was there, its days like those that make it all worthwhile.
Cheers Perry;D

Horse
11-08-2008, 08:44 PM
You're not wrong there Perry. A magic day all round

Aquarius
11-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Excellent work Neil they are some nice Cobes alright.
I saw you guys on Sunday heading back through the rouse.
We were drifting around looking at the bar thinking should we go out but it was a bit late in the arvo.
We went offshore on Saturday off the Goldie and Steve did battle with a huge cobe. Fought it for 30 minutes then the hook pulled.
We ended up with a few snaps.
Cheers Brent

BrewGuru
11-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Well done buddy, I caugt his brother about 5 years ago on very light gear, took me 2 hours to get in (got him on a small egg beater), the rest of the 11 mates on the charter boat got the shits and watched footy, while I did 15 laps of the vessel, we got him and at that size, they still taste fantastic, well done Neil

Benno1
12-08-2008, 02:34 PM
it never ceases to amaze me the size and quality of the fish that live in the ocean...damn fine job Horse...i appreciate the pics and the report...thanks... :D

(Mrs Benno1)

Fishing_Freddy
13-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Well done, I bet the arms were sore after those monsters gave you what for. Thanks fro the info and pics.
Ken :beer:

For Steve
14-08-2008, 09:48 AM
G'day Horse

That's an absolute screamer mate. Well done to you and Cervelo for getting onto some quality fish there.

Yeah I agree, the Snapper Raider wouldn't have matched the fight of those monsters. They're a good rod but not up to that job . I bought one a couple of weeks ago and I'm very happy with it.

Cheers
Brad

cervelo
15-08-2008, 06:34 PM
For 30 minutes I had the family record for cobe at 23kg, then Horse couldn't let it slide and pulled the 18kg as a warm up, followed by the 31kg monster.

My arms are still recovering, also a few bruises from Horse taking 20 minutes to get me a rod bucket.

Still it was definatley worth the pain.

Anyone know good recipes for cobia?

Cheers
Glenn

poolman
30-08-2008, 11:30 AM
nice cobia,big effort

trueblue
30-08-2008, 02:24 PM
good fish there.

we got some cobes yesterday as well, small models for us though. seems to be plenty about.

cheers

Mick