PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga or monduran...?

zoo1991
10-08-2008, 07:10 PM
hey all,

i am keen to make a trip up to one of the impowerments for the first time.
and would like to get some feedback from people who have been.

which one should i go to monduran or awoonga?

what lures are dynomite?

what sort of setup?

any feed back would be much appricaited;D

cheers zac

chewy01
10-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Hi mate,good to see ur keen.Just use the search feature and you wil find pages of reading on both dams.
cheers chewy...

Tropicaltrout
10-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Mate it seems to becoming the age old question, mate anything you get told on here is going to help. ;)

Awoonga and Monduran are both fantastic impoundments and both offer the bunning angler many challanges, Mondy for me is my pic due to my boat size and my shere love for the area it lies. Mondy is a much more sheltered lake compared to the massive bulk of Awoonga.

As to what fishes the best well either place will fire and size well Awoonga would hold massive fish but mondy would not be far behind if not nearly on par.

lures mate, lures will change from post to post day to day, what I suggest the next fella will have something he thinks is better, so your best bet is to get a small variety and put the time on the water:) and find your choice lures weather they be SP's or HB's pink, gold, white or rainbow they all work in there pick times.

As for your set up use what you feel comfortable, either a spinning reel type or BC you will need at least a 30lb braid and suficent leader for exsample I use 50lb braid and 80lb leader for mondy on a BC thats my comfortable rig and wont change it no matter what or who tells me it all about what you feel happy useing.

I am sure more will give you info to use, so go to your tackle shop talk with them and I am sure that they will help you out and steer you in the right direction.

Another option is to take a guide for a trip if you planning on getting into barra fishing, that way you will get a bit of insight into how they fish and see the gear they use etc;)

Cheers Nath

NAGG
10-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Nath has pretty well nailed it ....... They are different fisheries & have different appeal......... both can fish well .. or tough ( from my limited experience ..... & listening to reports).
I would ( probably against conventional wisdom) ........ Try to fish BOTH ( Its only a 90 min trip between the 2)

I will say though ....... your boat ( seaworthiness) can be important at Awoonga as you can travel long distances over completely exposed water

Nagg