PDA

View Full Version : sunken stiffie

DEANO68
10-08-2008, 06:59 PM
hello guys n galls,
just a follow up on the floatin sinkin stiffie saga, got me a couple a while ago and threw them in the shed ready for the next trip...after the recent posts on how they suspend,float , sink.. i checked them out today..gold one floates really well , thats ok , bit o weight it will be fine..silver one sinks front treble first quite quickly...is it the paint??????..does every gold one float and silver sink????if so whithout comprimising hook strength how do you get the silver sinker to suspend or float slowly..??????:-/ cheers deano..

eotbmg
10-08-2008, 08:56 PM
not for me Deano, its a bit of a lucky dip, Golds sink or float, silvers suspend and the greenies who knows?????? Just depends on how you hold your tongue!!!!!
Great lures when you get em sorted, very frustrating until you do!
Ben

NAGG
10-08-2008, 09:25 PM
hello guys n galls,
just a follow up on the floatin sinkin stiffie saga, got me a couple a while ago and threw them in the shed ready for the next trip...after the recent posts on how they suspend,float , sink.. i checked them out today..gold one floates really well , thats ok , bit o weight it will be fine..silver one sinks front treble first quite quickly...is it the paint??????..does every gold one float and silver sink????if so whithout comprimising hook strength how do you get the silver sinker to suspend or float slowly..??????:-/ cheers deano..

They're a bugger those stiffies ......... everyone is different!
......... & don't forget .....once you tie on the leader .... it changes again!

You can remove the tow point point split ...... subtle but it works.
i also heard of someone that drills a little hole in the head & tail end & injects a little "no more gaps"foam :)
I've got a green one ...... that I'm going to try it on ( It suspends only when the hooks are removed):(

Nagg

NAGG
10-08-2008, 09:29 PM
not for me Deano, its a bit of a lucky dip, Golds sink or float, silvers suspend and the greenies who knows?????? Just depends on how you hold your tongue!!!!!
Great lures when you get em sorted, very frustrating until you do!
Ben

The tongue ...... Thats it!:scholar: ........ a bit like the golfers lean ( when you want a shot to fade or draw)

Chris

Steve B
10-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Deano,

I would keep it the way it is...sinking. Use it for its potential...deeper water, submerged timber and dropoffs etc. Just get another one (hopefully it floats/suspends) then you have a couple of options to use as circumstances require. I have a 'sinker', I just work it differently, its actually been one of my more productive ones!!

hope this helps a bit mate
cheers Steve

DEANO68
11-08-2008, 07:04 AM
thanks fellas, think i will just get a couple more, and hold my tounge right..or left..
anyways can never have to many..deano.

Roo
12-08-2008, 12:36 PM
my silver one sank initially too. i removed the towpoint split and changed the other splits from No.7 owner rings(standard) to No.6 and it is a very slow sinker now with leader tied to it. If I change the rear hook to a No.2 3xVMC it will slowly rise. the Greenie was a floater but with the front hook upped to a No.1 owner and double ringed it suspends/supa slow rises.

I'm thinking i should leave the silver one as a sinker.

DEANO68
12-08-2008, 01:07 PM
my silver one sank initially too. i removed the towpoint split and changed the other splits from No.7 owner rings(standard) to No.6 and it is a very slow sinker now with leader tied to it. If I change the rear hook to a No.2 3xVMC it will slowly rise. the Greenie was a floater but with the front hook upped to a No.1 owner and double ringed it suspends/supa slow rises.

I'm thinking i should leave the silver one as a sinker.Thanks roo,gota pick up a few bit n pieces before i go so will get an assortment of rings & trebs so i can tweek em before we go..good luck on the 15th unfortunatly i will be back at the pickle factory...;) cheers deano..