PDA

View Full Version : Quintrex 475 Spirit - Advice

Angryant
10-08-2008, 06:19 PM
I am looking to buy a Quintrex 475 Spirit (2003) with a 2st Yamaha on the back. Boat and motor have done 32 hours.

Any thoughts on how good, or otherwise, this boat is? Constructive comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

bushbeachboy
10-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Andrew are you sure on the hours? What size motor?

Is the Spirit a cuddy or CC? Is this a Millenium model?

Do you know the current owner personally? Have you been for a test drive/ride in the boat?

Have you been able to thoroughly inspect the underside of the hull? Any evidence of cracking/welding etc? Corrosion?

General condition of the boat?

Can you post up some pics?

What is your intended use?

Angryant
10-08-2008, 07:21 PM
The boat was bought by an older fellow who was diagnosed with cancer. It has sat in his garage for the past 12 months or so after he passed away.

It is the cuddy with the Millenium hull. Overall condition appears very good.

I will be using the boat for bay use and occasionally down The Pin. I have arranged to do a water test this week. Pics below.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/43/quintrex001rk6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/599/quintrex002tn7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Blackened
10-08-2008, 07:32 PM
G'day

Well the condition is very very good.

Just check all those welds and pull all of the floor up

Dave

kind_cir
10-08-2008, 08:17 PM
I think I just saw that on the net. Is it around the $22000 mark. If you do end up getting it do you mind sending us a pm and tell us how the ride is. I'd say it's on the money for what it is, but do a good check on it to see if there are any problem areas.

Angryant
10-08-2008, 08:23 PM
No problem, I think it is pretty good for the money.

kind_cir
10-08-2008, 08:27 PM
No problem, I think it is pretty good for the money.
I agree. That's what I ment.

Angryant
10-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Reading a few of the threads here there have been a number of comments regarding the welds. Is this a general problem with Quintrex or was it just a batch of boats manufactured during a specific period?

John_R
11-08-2008, 05:13 AM
I have a 2003 530 Spirit which I use offshore and have trailed to Fraser Island and 1770. I have had to have the floor gussets re-welded once. I think any alloy boat such as quintrex, stacer, alleycraft, etc will crack if pounded hard enough. And it's simple to get it fixed.

I think for what you want to do, the 475 would be ideal.

If an old fella had it, it's unlikely it has cracked welds, especially with only 32 hrs on it. Pull up the floor and check anyway.

duncan dysart
11-08-2008, 06:11 PM
I f you are going offshore get a plate boat See response to my thread Cracking Quintrex last month

Angryant
11-08-2008, 06:23 PM
I f you are going offshore get a plate boat See response to my thread Cracking Quintrex last month

I read your thread - that is why I asked the question. All of my use will be inside Moreton Bay (can still get a bit ugly), rivers and down at the Pin. I think it should suit my needs okay. I'll keep a close eye on the welds.

Thanks for the input.

bushbeachboy
11-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Looks like a good boat for your needs mate.

duncan dysart
11-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Further to this look at blog picasaweb.google.com/slamdunc40/cracksinquintrex570

Then go and buy a plate boat.With a Quintrex if you have a problem it will be because of the way you drive it not their welding

duncan dysart
11-08-2008, 07:09 PM
The boat was bought by an older fellow who was diagnosed with cancer. It has sat in his garage for the past 12 months or so after he passed away.

It is the cuddy with the Millenium hull. Overall condition appears very good.

I will be using the boat for bay use and occasionally down The Pin. I have arranged to do a water test this week. Pics below.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/43/quintrex001rk6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/599/quintrex002tn7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Probably had a heart attack when he lifted the floor

chop69
12-08-2008, 05:32 AM
Andrew,
mate it looks like a good buy. i've had no probs with my qunnie (510 c/c) and she's about to have her 4th birthday later this year. maybe i got a boat built midweek instead of a monday/friday build or maybe it's the way i skipper the girl??

Ram-rod
12-08-2008, 06:46 AM
Andrew,
mate it looks like a good buy. i've had no probs with my qunnie (510 c/c) and she's about to have her 4th birthday later this year. maybe i got a boat built midweek instead of a monday/friday build or maybe it's the way i skipper the girl??
I agree, I too have a quintrex 540 spirit and am very happy (dec 2005). That one looks a good buy, just give it a good look over.

BILLY THE KID
12-08-2008, 01:26 PM
looked at this boat last saturday actually , very nice indeed .

was / still am still considering selling the 470 breeze and chasing round a ally boat of similar size

solo missions and glass boat on redland shire local ramps are a nightmare

coucho
12-08-2008, 01:44 PM
how much are they askin for this boat?

BILLY THE KID
12-08-2008, 02:09 PM
$22 000 , its sold , was down there today looking

did you endup buying it angryant ??

Mark-P
12-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Probably had a heart attack when he lifted the floor
I would hardly call that comment constructive, more like a cheap
shot at someones miss fortune with CANCER !!!!!!
And you got 3 thanks for it ........ ( Whats wrong with you people )

Mark

Angryant
12-08-2008, 06:50 PM
$22 000 , its sold , was down there today looking

did you endup buying it angryant ??

I've bought it subject to a water test tomorrow (Wednesday) and inspection of the welds. Don't know how they'll respond to the request, "Let's just pull up the floor and look underneath shall we".

Fishbait
12-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Looks good to me, I've got no probs with my Quintrex! 150 hours, 7 year old, like new still - good luck with the purchase.

Angryant
12-08-2008, 07:24 PM
It's good to see a balance of comments - both good and negative..

SummerTrance
12-08-2008, 07:29 PM
I've bought it subject to a water test tomorrow (Wednesday) and inspection of the welds. Don't know how they'll respond to the request, "Let's just pull up the floor and look underneath shall we".

Well done mate, looks like a good buy! As its previously been said, with the ex owner being an older fello, and with only 31 hours use, there wont be any drama's with cracked welds.

That other guy had a bad experience with his quintrex after bashing it around offshore in NZ, and now he just trolls ausfish waiting for an excuse to bag out quintrex any opportunity he can get.

Ive got a Stacer 475 and am very happy with it. Im sure you'll have endless hours of enjoyment with your new toy :thumbup:

black runner
12-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't think you will have any probs with this rig. The only observation I would make is that the cuddy in a 475 eats into the cockpit space considerably. Just something to be really mindful of. I stuck to the runabout config with bimini and clears for this reason in the 15-16' range. Would go cuddy around 17' and above.

Cheers - Hope all works out for you

Angryant
12-08-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't think you will have any probs with this rig. The only observation I would make is that the cuddy in a 475 eats into the cockpit space considerably. Just something to be really mindful of. I stuck to the runabout config with bimini and clears for this reason in the 15-16' range. Would go cuddy around 17' and above.

Mate, I'd love to go to a 17" cuddy, but I have already gone over what I budgeted by a couple of thousand. It's my first boat so I hope it'll suit my needs.

haggis
12-08-2008, 09:24 PM
looks like a good boat , all boat makes have there lovers & haters , whats good for one person may not be good for another .
happy boating ...........haggis .

Ram-rod
12-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Mate, I'd love to go to a 17" cuddy, but I have already gone over what I budgeted by a couple of thousand. It's my first boat so I hope it'll suit my needs.
mate you'll love it just hit the water and have fun..

BILLY THE KID
12-08-2008, 10:37 PM

done the same thing with the haines , well over budget , 1 trip to the ramp on a bit of a choppy day and you.ll be so glad you went ally .enjoy the first boat

e

give us a wave if you see us out

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t2/billythakid666/Haines_470_Breeze_th02.jpg

coucho
13-08-2008, 09:00 AM

Looks like a good rig to me does eat into the cock pit a little but 4.75 is small by no means and you will love that cuddy in bit of chop and wind.
Also can someone correct me if i am wrong (and I am quiet sure they will) that most of the problems with cracked welds on pressed boats are in larger hulls say +5m where it is harder to stop flexing or are people havin the same drama with the mid size 4.5-5m jobbies as well? Just askin as researching a new purchase myself and from my reading most problems seem to be with larger hulls?

ozbee
13-08-2008, 10:21 AM
buy it for first boat its a beauty life is like a circle and for boaties it starts like this

first but pressed ally used mainly in the creeks

second boat bit bigger pressed boat something like yours. one gets a taste of outside fishing close shoals and mackerel etc. picked calm weather

third boat should be hit over head with mallet larger plate boat or fibreglass so i can get out and catch them on those weekends that are 10 to 15 instead of 5 to tens and also the grass is always greener further out

fourth boat grey hairs have become the majority not up to this all night fishing stint rather go to a warm bed any how those whiting taste sweeter than that reef fish any how

boat number five has to be light so it can fit on top of your four wheel drive towing your caravan heading north for winter and south for summer

people like me who have brought more than five boats are just a little bit more crazy that's all.

Angryant
13-08-2008, 08:10 PM
buy it for first boat its a beauty life is like a circle and for boaties it starts like this

first but pressed ally used mainly in the creeks

second boat bit bigger pressed boat something like yours. one gets a taste of outside fishing close shoals and mackerel etc. picked calm weather

third boat should be hit over head with mallet larger plate boat or fibreglass so i can get out and catch them on those weekends that are 10 to 15 instead of 5 to tens and also the grass is always greener further out

fourth boat grey hairs have become the majority not up to this all night fishing stint rather go to a warm bed any how those whiting taste sweeter than that reef fish any how

boat number five has to be light so it can fit on top of your four wheel drive towing your caravan heading north for winter and south for summer

people like me who have brought more than five boats are just a little bit more crazy that's all.

hehe - well said!!!!!!!

bushbeachboy
14-08-2008, 01:56 PM
[
people like me who have brought more than five boats are just a little bit more crazy that's all.[/quote]

I'll see you down the nuthouse mate!;D I can't seem to stop buying and selling boats.::)