PDA

View Full Version : help with old evinrude 15

ANGLERnotDANGLER
10-08-2008, 10:27 AM
ok so after 2 months out of action due to a run in with a drop saw, i finally got to text my new boat and motor again

i have an old evinrude 15hp im told its an 81 model. last time i used it, it died on me and i had the impeler replaced. tried it again and it ran fine so we decided to head for a fish. after a long run at pretty much flat out without missing a beat, we slowed down to decide where to fish and when we stopped the motor died.wouldnt start again.

after a bit of a rest, the motor would kick over but barely. not enough revs to get it into gear.

anyone have any ideas?? just wanna know if its gonna be worth getting fixed or i just suck it up and save for a newer 2nd motor

Roughasguts
10-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Did you pump the fuel up to the motor after it stopped, maybe a fuel flow problem at low rev's. If pumping the fuel bulb gets fuel up again the replace fuel pump.

Blackened
10-08-2008, 10:42 AM
G'day

Fresh fuel? that'd be where i'll be looking for a start.

When the impeller went in, did you have it serviced as well with plugs and a tune?

A new 15hp 2 banger will be between $1900 and $2400 pending brand, with the best of the bunch imo, being the USA built merc, at $2100.

Dave

2manylures
10-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Make an artificial reef out of it, your safety is more important.

Blackened
10-08-2008, 10:46 AM

G'day

That's a bit rough don't you think?

Dave

ANGLERnotDANGLER
10-08-2008, 10:57 AM

haha trust me i seriously considered it!!

i did try pumping the fuel bulb but after it died it wouldnt start for long enough again.

it was just lucky i was wary of the motor and got my mate to bring his boat with me just in case, long tow back to the ramp!

think i should just suck it up and get a motor that i know will start everytime

moater
10-08-2008, 11:03 AM
I got an email about a sale on at Family Boats and they've got 2006 model Tohatsu with 3 year warranty -- 15hp 2-Stroke, Tiller, Long Shaft $1,740.00 WAS $2,465.00

Just an option??

Darren

BaitThrower
10-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Hi mate, I have a similar motor and had similar probs. Mine is an 86 model, but probably the same design etc.

I find that after sitting for a while after a run, often you need to choke it again to get the carb bowl full of fuel again. Could also be heat problem. Is it overheating? I just replaced my thermostat. The old one was pretty blocked up!

Also, what plugs are you using and what gap are they set at?

PM me if you want to ask more specific Questions...

bushbeachboy
10-08-2008, 05:52 PM
What area are you in Angler?

ANGLERnotDANGLER
11-08-2008, 06:32 PM
i live in nowra nsw

sounds like i have a few things to look at
cheers

goldfish
12-08-2008, 08:46 AM
lots of things for you to check to date. i have had a few of these motors over the years & i think what you are describing is a powerpak or coil problem. check if you have spark at both plugs. (if you do try the above sugestions as powerpak & coils are fine) if not try swapping the wires from powerpak to coils over (sometimes these have joiners if not put them in) after swapping the wiressee if the sparl changes to the other coil if it does its the powerpak if it dosn't its the coil.
the other thing it could be is a head gasket if you overheated it. (a compresion test will verifi this)
if you need ferther help just pm me & i'll send you my number
cheers
rick.
ps once running right these are a great motor & too good to just dump.

ANGLERnotDANGLER
12-08-2008, 02:27 PM
this is my first boat. and my first motor. so as u can imagine i am useless when it comes to the mechanical side of things.

i think this motor would be better off in the hands of someone who has some kind of an idea of what theyre doing

Stuka1
18-04-2009, 09:47 PM
What have you found out about the motor so far,
I'm just about to become the owner of an old Evinrude 15hp

Donny Boy
19-04-2009, 06:07 AM
Find a good mechanic in your area & get his opinion.

1. Might be that it needs a full service & a few bits replaced.......that keeps you going until you can afford a newer one
2. Might not be worth the trouble.

3. Good luck.

backlash08
19-04-2009, 07:16 AM
I would use it on the opposite end of the boat, i.e convert its purpose from engine to anchor, and yes this might sound a bit harsh but that is what I would do with a 28 year old engine that was only ever designed to last half of that time
good luck with it!
Craig

finga
19-04-2009, 07:43 AM
I would use it on the opposite end of the boat, i.e convert its purpose from engine to anchor, and yes this might sound a bit harsh but that is what I would do with a 28 year old engine that was only ever designed to last half of that time
good luck with it!
Craig
I've got the anchor for your boat then.
A 1961 43.5hp Royal Scott outboard.
It's heavy enough for you ;D

But a bit serious now. There wasn't much difference with those little OMC's from early/mid 60's to the 90's. Simple as to look at and fix.
But if there's copious amounts of corrosion then to the scrapey with it.

backlash08
19-04-2009, 07:48 AM
[quote=finga;1003728]I've got the anchor for your boat then.
A 1961 43.5hp Royal Scott outboard.
It's heavy enough for you ;D

now that would be an anchor....... but does it still go?