PDA

View Full Version : Successfull Mooloolabah Banks trip 9/08/08

Angla
10-08-2008, 01:41 AM
Thankyou Ryan for the Captures today, Saturday. for only haveing been out with me twice now, you Gaffed a 120cm Amberjack as well as netting all the snapper to 80cm. Not one miss.

We started late from Kawana at 8.00am and went around towards Currimundi for some livies. No livies but pulled a great Amberjack on a Nuke chook. 20 minutes of fight on the TSS4 and we were both exhausted. Anyone got a guess as to the weight. We were thinking to 25Kg
Having come out looking for snapper we took off towards Wide Caloundra and pulled up a little short on a little irregular bottom. This proved fruitfull with a 35cm squire and then a larger model around the 50cm mark.
We then moved further out to Wide Cal and found the bite to be dead so made the call to head towards the Banks.
On the high spot at the bottom of the banks we pulled another 5 snapper with the size sneeking upwards with every capture and by now we were up to the 72cm models.
The fish seemed to go off the bite here so we ran up to the top of the banks and a little towards the other side. Here we proceeded to catch the odd throw back of various species and then pulled a 80cm snapper just on sunset. The bite went off after this.
We witnessed a Whale breach next to a smallish tinnie,:omaybe 15 metres away at most. I bet they had to change their undies. Just with no warning or other obvious sightings. And then what seemed to be a big bull whale popped up and rested on the surface for a breather and the small pod dissappeared just as silently. They are amazing creatures!
We left the crowd of boats out there at 7.00pm, counted over 25 lights and maybe a few without, and did the 27nm back in 1 hour flat.
Thanks again Ryan for the great company.
Total
9x snapper 35 to 80cm
2x parrot to 55cm
1x AmberJack 120cm Released
1x small aj for the pan

Most big fish were taken on Nuke Chooks and Satay Chooks

Chris

littlemac
10-08-2008, 06:57 AM
very nice catch you guys got, the weather looks pretty good as well

well done

cheers

brett

Fishing_Freddy
10-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Great report and conditions.Well done, I hope the weather is as good next weekend as I'm hoping to get out .
Ken :beer:

keenfishr
10-08-2008, 08:53 AM
some great lookig fish...thanks for the report. sounds like yas had a great day on the water.cheers trav.

SummerTrance
10-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Good report mate and very nice results! What line weight were you using and what size jigheads?

DEANO68
10-08-2008, 10:21 AM
sounds like a fun day on the water...well done.. deano..

Dean1
10-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi Chris, I must have been fishing very close to you as I saw the whale came up beside the tinnie couldnt believe the faith that guy has in his tinnie out that far, the whales were goin off!! I was in a 5.2 Kevlacat. We got a good haul, havent done the final count yet but got roughly 8 AJ'S some nice snap around 4kg and I managed to board a 83cm snapper to beat my PB and other reefies. Slimie fillets worked for us. Got smoked heaps, ill put a report on later. Cheers, Deano.

scoota
10-08-2008, 12:26 PM
The SP's really went off on saturday!

Quality catch there chris;)

Scoota...

Had some whales doin full breaches saturday night not far from our boat :o
Got my full attention!!!

Angla
10-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Good report mate and very nice results! What line weight were you using and what size jigheads?

I'm using 50lb braid with a 1.5 metre leader of 60lb and then a 3/4 TT jighead. I found the currents were not very strong which really helped the SPs light weighting.

Chris

skipalong
10-08-2008, 03:20 PM
nice fish mate looks like a great run

Angla
11-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi Chris, I must have been fishing very close to you as I saw the whale came up beside the tinnie couldnt believe the faith that guy has in his tinnie out that far, the whales were goin off!! I was in a 5.2 Kevlacat. We got a good haul, havent done the final count yet but got roughly 8 AJ'S some nice snap around 4kg and I managed to board a 83cm snapper to beat my PB and other reefies. Slimie fillets worked for us. Got smoked heaps, ill put a report on later. Cheers, Deano.

I was probably positioned 75 metres to the south of the tinnie. Do you eat the AJs or are they giveaway fish.?

Chris

revs57
11-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Grat trip chris,

I usually keep the AJ's to around 8 kg. Remove the blood line along the lateral when you skin and fillet and I reckon they rate very well -certainly as good as snapper

Cheers

Rhys

Dean1
11-08-2008, 07:19 PM
I was probably positioned 75 metres to the south of the tinnie. Do you eat the AJs or are they giveaway fish.?

Chris Yeah mate as Rhys said, ours were around 3-6kg so their good chewin at that size. Cut the bloodline out. Cheers.

Angla
11-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Rhys and Dean, Thanks for that. I caught a small one and filleted it. I must say that the flesh looked to be pretty good quality but I was hesitant to give it away to a friend. I will ring her now and drop it around.

Chris