PDA

View Full Version : jump start/charging

yamp
09-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Just doing abit of a wiring clean up on my old mans 5m hooker after found the furuno plotter sounder keeps doing out when you start up the 60hp yammie 4stk. Just after abit of advice on the setup,I was thinking of running all the a actives to a terminal bloc, then another block to link neutrals with one heavy cable for each block back to the battery for the neutral and back to the active side of the isolator for the active heavy lead,the heavy lead I was going to use is 6mm tinned copper, the battery is right under the console and is in tight position to get the lid off the battery box,I was wondering if it would do any harm if you used the terminal blocks to hook up the battery charger or if you ever needed a jump start off another battery as it would be more accessible,any advice or feedback greatly appreciated Yamp

Kleyny
09-08-2008, 09:15 PM
IMO charging off the buss bar/ block would be ok. But i wouldnt jump start off it. I think it would be too much for the small wire.

neil

Roughasguts
09-08-2008, 11:15 PM
6mm is not much of a wire you should be using that diameter just to activate your electric brakes on your trailer.

And hook your plotter straight up to your battery! then it won't shut of when you start the motor. If it does you need a new battery.

Have you thought about moving your batterty to a better location?

yamp
10-08-2008, 07:04 PM
thanks for feedback fellas, roughasguts I didn't really even think that the battery might be crook,I automatically assumed wiring problem. I might get a load test done on it,to make sure its ok. I don't really want to move the battery its just that I usually put the battery on charge now as we sometimes don't get out for a run for a month or so and would like a convenient place to hook up the charger. The jump start is probably be in an emergency only and you can still get to the battery just abit more stuffing around. Thanks again Yamp