PDA

View Full Version : minn kota and boat speed?

bar raider
07-08-2008, 06:46 PM
hi all, just got a 55 lb autopilot bow mount for the punt (and the runabout) and realise that they move the boat as a set speed regardless of boat size (within reason), and the 55 will be good for the runabout but i assume wasted power for the 3m punt. is this correct?

so can you get a prop that will increase speed of the punt?? any other ideas on getting speed from this rig??

thanks all.

Nico.d.R
07-08-2008, 08:18 PM
i dont know if thats right or not but i got a 55lb bow mount and it pulls the 4m tinny around well .

cheers nico

TheSaint
08-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Just remember that the pedal has 0 to 10 speed setting & you don't have to run it at full noise to fish with it.. you only need on about 6 most of the time..

bar raider
08-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Just remember that the pedal has 0 to 10 speed setting & you don't have to run it at full noise to fish with it.. you only need on about 6 most of the time..

this i know,

but for up the Hinze getting from A to B i wonder if there is a way to get more speed from all that wasted thrust??

nedoleboy
08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
gday bar raider.not sure what you meanby moving the boat at a set speed.for example if you running the electric on say 5 on the runabout you maybe doing 2.5km/hr.if you then mounted the electric on the punt which is lighter and ran at 5 again i would expect you would go a little faster,say 3.2km/hr.therefore you could lower your speed to 4 to get the 2.5km/hr you achieved in the runabout on speed 5.this would save your battery a little.i dont think you have wasted thrust as you have described rather that you would go a little faster in the punt on the same speed setting.
after saying that i have found wasted thrust/to much drag is a problem.i do a lot of trolling at around 2-2.5 km/hr and was getting around 6 hours out of a battery.after a mate suggested to raise the outboard out of the water the boat went faster so i could turn the speed down. excpt i kept going round ,would not stay straight.lowered the outboard just in the water for a bit of keel.perfect.goes the whole day on a battery now
another way to get more efficiency would be to put on an aftermarket prop.the one i know of is called kipwa i think.i have seen them at moes.3 bladed prop they claim to be better.i dont have one so cannot comment
hope this helps.ned