PDA

View Full Version : Timi's Charters - 4 August

TimiBoy
06-08-2008, 07:53 PM
We hit the water at 8ish, after blowing out a bearing on the trailer about 500m short of the ramp. What a great start...

On the water, things were looking OK. Nice bar crossing, weather looking OK. The strategy was simple - go out wide, check the current, work back in. A horrible East West drift at Square Patch had us dropping, retrieving, dropping, so anchoring up was the order of the day. Having done so, Cheech gets a good solid hook up!

A titanic struggle ensued, with the Great and Powerful Cheech slugging it out with what eventually turned out to be a 12Kg+ Ambo, pictured. Nice fish, a record for Bubi! A very considerate shark bit the poor thing on the way up, and when we cut the throat, no blood. It had bled out on the way up, which explained why it just rolled out on the surface, no fight left...

Then the wind started up, and the fish shut down. We dragged up a couple of small Trevs, then hit the 35's. Good shows, and then while checking around we found a really good sized ledge nearby. Can't wait to go check it out next time, but no fish this day.

We moved around, 35's, 29's, several spots on each. In close, anchoring, drifting, all we snagged was a single squire (Wags got it), about 50cm. After a few hours of chasing around and generally getting ticked off with the conditions, we pulled the pin. The fish were cleaned up at Peel, nice, no mess at home!

Back to the ramp, and left Wags there while Cheech and I went off after parts for the hub, and some tools. Well, it was totally knackered. I must say that I got it right though. Cheech and Wags are both Fitter and Turners, so I had picked the right crew! We finally got mobile, and got the boat home.

All in all, a tiring, and for Wags and I, less than satisfying day. Cheech got an excellent fish, and was rightly chuffed! BLOODY NORTHWESTERLY!!!

Many thanks to Wags for coming back Tuesday and then again today to get the hub right. We ended up replacing it...

Cheers,

Tim

Benno1
06-08-2008, 08:39 PM
pearler of an ambo Cheech...nice one mate :D
so the trailer is good to go for your next trip out tho Timi...hopefully the fish will be playing the same game as you huh...just good to be out on the water :D
thanks for the pics and report Timi :D
(Mrs Benno1)

skipalong
06-08-2008, 08:42 PM
great looking ambo mate

Horse
06-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Nice one Cheech. good idea to get the Noah to lend a helping hand

Neil

Angla
06-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Tim, I thought your boat was pretty new. Do you have protection on the bearings of the trailer.

Sorry to hear of the slow days fishing, I just worked from 7.00am till 5.00pm *&^^&*(%

Chris

scoota
06-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Good day on the water though Tim.

No expert but without a yellow stripe I would call that one a Black-Banded Kingfish with the black markings?
Probably wrong though. Did it have red teeth, if so it might have been a Samson fish.
Who cares, it would have stretched the arms8-)

Scoota....

Local_Guy
06-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Tim, I must say you pick your crew very well.. I remember when you took me out and we had a flat battery. i had to change the battery over for ya :).. honestly, i didn't mind..... oh and the furuno setup :).

atleast you got out and caught that good AJ. next time will be better.

are you heading up here for the tight Lines fishing classic comp?

blue_mako
06-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Def a sambo mate nice fish.

backlash08
06-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Hi Tim, thanks - great ambo!
better the bearing lunching itself close to the ramp I guess - sounds like a tough day on the water
cheers - Craig

wags on the water
07-08-2008, 12:28 AM
The problems with the trailer were due to operator error.....::) ::) ::) IMHO. (traffic island?? what traffic island??)

As for the fish, Cheech did a great job in getting this mighty fish to the surface. We did have to weigh it in stages as the scales onboard weren't big enough. Took the fillets off and weighed them, then weighed what was left. It was close to 13kilo.

Cheers.

TimiBoy
07-08-2008, 04:43 AM
Tim, I must say you pick your crew very well.. I remember when you took me out and we had a flat battery. i had to change the battery over for ya :).. honestly, i didn't mind..... oh and the furuno setup :).

atleast you got out and caught that good AJ. next time will be better.

are you heading up here for the tight Lines fishing classic comp?

No Mate, I won't be getting up there this year - too much on...

Cheers,

Tim

Cheech
07-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Def a sambo mate nice fish.

I suppose it does look like a sambo in the pictures, but it may just be the light angles as I was sure it had a yellow stripe. But now I am starting to question my recollection.

Either way, it was a good way to start the day. Thanks Tim for the trip. Even though we had to work for it. Wags and I are still waiting for our overtime and penalty rates for roadside assist.

By the way, what's this with "Tim's Charters"? Cheech's Charters, and Cheech & Chong Charters are registered trademarks. This is a breach of copyright!! :)

ffejsmada
07-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Good fish!

I too reckon it's a Samson, not an Amberjack.

TimiBoy
07-08-2008, 09:53 AM
By the way, what's this with "Tim's Charters"? Cheech's Charters, and Cheech & Chong Charters are registered trademarks. This is a breach of copyright!! :)

Bah! See you in Court, Cheech!

As usual, a pleasure having you aboard. I might be looking for a spot on a boat next Wednesday. Up for it? Bubi will be in for a service, and the weather looks ok...

Cheers,

Tim

TimiBoy
07-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Tim, I thought your boat was pretty new. Do you have protection on the bearings of the trailer.

Sorry to hear of the slow days fishing, I just worked from 7.00am till 5.00pm *&^^&*(%

ChrisYeah, bearing buddies and regularly checked. Wags is right, though, I did belt a traffic island, and I'd suggest that was the issue...

Cheers,

Tim

lethal098
07-08-2008, 03:09 PM
timi, at least you got somethin for the day, everyone has been sayin its a littlew quiet, must be the new moon, give it another few days and they should start to chew. cheers lethal

mowerman
07-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Ive GOT TO arrange a day off.

Rod.

jimbo59
07-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Hey timi looking at bearing buddies isnt enuf you gotta jack the axils up and check for bearing howl...jim

TimiBoy
08-08-2008, 05:15 AM
Hey timi looking at bearing buddies isnt enuf you gotta jack the axils up and check for bearing howl...jim

I did say and! Yep, a lift occasionally is on the cards!

Cheers,

Tim

Fishin_Dan
08-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Nice fish Cheech! Good to see you're still getting into them!

Cheech
08-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Tim, yes it is looking interesting next week. Though I probably will not be able to get the time off so close to the last trip.

How is Townsville treating you Dan? You probably don't even miss the bay. The fishing up there must be so much better.

wags on the water
08-08-2008, 09:32 PM
To clarify the result, I've studied the 12 pics taken (Digital SLR on a rocking boat is magic) and I believe it's a Sambo rather than an Ambo.
Once again, Cheech, nice fish.

Wags

Chong
09-08-2008, 12:31 PM
CHEECH! can you stop useing large sambo / ambo's as livies::) i know you like catching big sharks but man thats one hell of a bait;D ;D 8-) well done boys sounds like everyone had a part to play.
Cheers,
Chong