PDA

View Full Version : Discounts on boat insurance for VMR membership

charleville
06-08-2008, 08:06 AM
A mate of mine suffered the ignominy of having bought a new boat last week and having it break down on Sunday and having to be towed home from Green Island to his canal home, past all of his neighbours gathered in their back yards.

(BTW, it has a E-Tec on the back but that knowledge is likely to ignite lots of comments about E-Tecs versus the rest of the planet, so I won't mention it. ;D ;D ;D )

Anyway, on a more serious note, he asked his insurer Suncorp if they gave a discount on the boat insurance premium for Coastguard /VMR membership and whaddya know, they said that they give a $50 discount. This is close enough to the annual membership fee to make such a policy very attractive. He actually works at Suncorp and probably knew who to ask.

That prompts the question as to whether any other insurers offer such a discount.

I looked at the Suncorp Product Disclosure Documents at their internet site and they are not specific in their discount regime. It just says that, from time to time, they may offer premium discounts. I looked at my own insurer's site, RACQ, and did not see such an offer either.

Has anyone else had experience in getting Coastguard/VMR membership accounted for with a discount in their boat insurance premium, please?

PADDLES
06-08-2008, 09:46 AM
it's worth asking the question of racq charlie. they're owned by suncorp. i'm going to ask the same question of racq (we're insured with them too) because we're associate members of redcliffe coast guard

Dinga04
06-08-2008, 11:14 AM
On an aside....I know some VMR's can get a donation from Club Marine if you list your local VMR as your prefered rescue organisation, this provides a boost to VMR's $ with no extra cost to you :D

reelchippy
06-08-2008, 11:29 AM
With out the discount. it is still great for $50.00.cheers

charleville
06-08-2008, 01:04 PM
With out the discount. it is still great for $50.00.cheers

Absolutely agreed. I have membership with two such organisations.

However, just think of what it would do for membership numbers if everyone knew that the insurance companies would give a rebate in premiums for membership.

mik01
06-08-2008, 09:03 PM
A mate of mine suffered the ignominy of having bought a new boat last week and having it break down on Sunday and having to be towed home from Green Island to his canal home, past all of his neighbours gathered in their back yards.

(BTW, it has a E-Tec on the back but that knowledge is likely to ignite lots of comments about E-Tecs versus the rest of the planet, so I won't mention it. ;D ;D ;D )

Anyway, on a more serious note, he asked his insurer Suncorp if they gave a discount on the boat insurance premium for Coastguard /VMR membership and whaddya know, they said that they give a $50 discount. This is close enough to the annual membership fee to make such a policy very attractive. He actually works at Suncorp and probably knew who to ask.

That prompts the question as to whether any other insurers offer such a discount.

I looked at the Suncorp Product Disclosure Documents at their internet site and they are not specific in their discount regime. It just says that, from time to time, they may offer premium discounts. I looked at my own insurer's site, RACQ, and did not see such an offer either.

Has anyone else had experience in getting Coastguard/VMR membership accounted for with a discount in their boat insurance premium, please?

OH. MY. GOD.

are you serious??? I have been insured with suncorp for nearly a year and didn't know this.:(

why wouldn't they advertise this somewhere, or ask the question when you join????>:(

surely this would attract more people to them who are VMR members, and help increase VMR membership also.

hang on - come to think of it, why isn't the VMR shouting this from the rooftops also? what a good incentive to join - good PR for the insurer and increase in VMR membership.

mik01
06-08-2008, 09:04 PM
oh - and thanks mate for posting this up!

gofishin
06-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi Charle-v,
I previously changed insurer to Suncorp, and the girl actually asked the question over the phone while we were sorting out the policy. Better still is the discount they gave for being a MBTBC member - $100. Not bad at all!

Obviously it has something to do with the keycard gated entry, secure trailer storage etc. Other insurers i spoked to did not offer a discount.
cheers

charleville
06-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Better still is the discount they gave for being a MBTBC member - $100. Not bad at all!

Obviously it has something to do with the keycard gated entry, secure trailer storage etc.

Now that is impressive! :)

When I renew my insurance in a few months time, I might have to look at that.

Thanks for the info.

charleville
06-08-2008, 10:39 PM
hang on - come to think of it, why isn't the VMR shouting this from the rooftops also? what a good incentive to join - good PR for the insurer and increase in VMR membership.

One of my points exactly! :)