PDA

View Full Version : Splendour in the Keppels

Custaro
05-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Headed off on Sunday around lunch time to target my first jewie with Dad, the old faithful skipper. He has been getting into them lately so pretty confident.

First stop loaded up on plenty of big live baits. Very easy. Been a while since I seen a full house on the jig. Wasn’t long before the pick was down and the baits soaking. It was a fair while before any action. Dad was finally onto a good fish with squid, a nice 2.5kg grunter. It was only just on deck when my livie rig started screaming. Then about 20m from the boat a big cobe comes smashing through the surface with a couple of my hooks pinned nicely in his snout. After a short tussle, he calmed down and was hauled over the side. After dark hooked another cobe that also decide to act like a idiot and flip around the surface, being new moon couldn’t see a bloody thing, lines were tangled, cobe still changing direction every second when finally got the spotty fixed on him and he headed straight for anchor rope and wrapped it before making a sharp turn heading away, leaping out of the surface and breaking the line…smart fish. I’ll cop that one. A few nice grunter and a cod but still no jewie was in the box. We decided to shift the boat to the other side of reef we were fishing. Wasn’t long before some action and a heavy fish was on…this was it! Then disaster.:'( Battled for 20mins before the scraps returned.

Clay

ifishcq1
05-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Hi Custaro,

Few grunter up around the pins, rama and tamia at the moment but jewies were all in close around the barge and the jew hole.

Hope they keep coming this weekend

Cheers

SL

Local_Guy
05-08-2008, 09:41 PM
that cobia is huge.. well done.

where did u catch him. and where bouts did you get the live baits??

lethal098
06-08-2008, 06:42 AM
thats a quality cobia, well done, shame about the jew. cheers lethal

dogsbody
06-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Hey Clay how go's it mate?

That one hell of a cobe. Don't look like you'll be missing the Bay anytime soon.

Nice cod too.

So in theory your still Jewless an arfa don't count. ;D

Last time I went out I nailed a whiting on a 8o circle ;D
Then some knob in the boat next to me snapped me Gary Howard spin stick as he was pulling up to the ramp>:( >:( >:( think i can heal it though.

Dave.

cptpott
06-08-2008, 03:45 PM
nice cobe, gotta be dissapointed about the jewy! Photo is priceless!

keenfishr
06-08-2008, 06:01 PM
snodger cobe...what did it weigh?? interesting read!! thanks. trav

jtpython
07-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Great stuff Clay nice cobia mate he 's a ripper
Shame the shark nabbed your jewie looked a good chewing size to
As luck did have it we never got touched by sharks on tuesday night so thankful for that for once
Are you all set for the tightlines comp?
JT