PDA

View Full Version : Offshore yeppoon - 5 august

Local_Guy
05-08-2008, 05:49 PM
headed out to barron Is today to hit one of the local wrecks.

Had an awesome run out there with only a slight wind chop on the other wise flat seas and once i got behind great keppel island it was glass.

Found the wreck and started my drift patterns over it.

after about the 3rd drift something smashed my line. ... 45lb line and plastic rod holders with a bottom bashing drag just don't mix and the fish ended up breaking the rod holder in the boat because i couldn't get the rod out the fish was pulling that hard.

you guessed it... cobia... est weight 16 - 18lbs. and boy am i glad he took the larger rod of the 2, man they fight.

finally got him gaffed and into the esky.. fun gaffing these things by yourself... but i managed.

couldn't raise anything else off the wreck, but i did notice quite a few cobia following my baits up as i wound in to check them.

still my first nannagi eludes me.

the trip home was just magic. WOT all the way (24.5kts) .

met up with JT at 40acre on his way out.

Bilopete
05-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Sounds like an awesome day! Do you reguarly go out on your own?

Cheers

Pete

bigred77
06-08-2008, 07:52 AM
hey mate good to hear u r finally getiing out there.nice fish too.still planning on getting back up there an bringing my boat as well.

mangomick
06-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Good one Jase
Glad to see someone was picking some Cobia up off the wrecks.
Did you use occy for bait or crabs.
Did you open him up to see what he had been eating.Last few Cobia I picked up I opened their stomachs and one was chockers with crabs and the other was dead empty.
The water was brilliant yesterday. We even had an odd whale turning on a show out at the shoals. Im kicking myself for not going out wider

Local_Guy
06-08-2008, 10:40 AM
i caught him on pillies.... i had 1 rod down with whole squid and the other with pillies... obviously chasing reef fish as well as pelagics...

didn't open his stomach up, just for the reason that i would then have to clean up more mess and i was so tired when i got home i didn't even take photos..

oh. forgot to add. i did catch a little tea leaf travelly or Turrum on first drift.

and yeah pete. i do go out often by myself. not that i mind, more fish for me and conditions are never that bad that i can't handle them myself... it's easier during the week as the harbour isn't as busy so launching and retriving the boat is a breeze.

Custaro
06-08-2008, 11:18 AM
good work with the cobe. they are brutes of fish to handle and really need kill bin bolted to floor and all breakable stuff will get broken when they are about.

i was up north way around the pins. the livies i got all come from the same ground. always spice up the jigs hooks with little pieces squid and pillies to get them interested.

clay

Nomad62
06-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Jase,
Good to see you caught some nice fish.....it has been a bit quiet around the keppels and inside the bay lately.

Hey try dropping a bait jig on that wreck....some good slimmies there at times. Catch em... hook em up and drop em back down...they won't last long!!;)

That first nani's not too far away!!!8-)

Cheers Nomad

headed out to barron Is today to hit one of the local wrecks.

Had an awesome run out there with only a slight wind chop on the other wise flat seas and once i got behind great keppel island it was glass.

Found the wreck and started my drift patterns over it.

after about the 3rd drift something smashed my line. ... 45lb line and plastic rod holders with a bottom bashing drag just don't mix and the fish ended up breaking the rod holder in the boat because i couldn't get the rod out the fish was pulling that hard.

you guessed it... cobia... est weight 16 - 18lbs. and boy am i glad he took the larger rod of the 2, man they fight.

finally got him gaffed and into the esky.. fun gaffing these things by yourself... but i managed.

couldn't raise anything else off the wreck, but i did notice quite a few cobia following my baits up as i wound in to check them.

still my first nannagi eludes me.

the trip home was just magic. WOT all the way (24.5kts) .

met up with JT at 40acre on his way out.